Anyone have a good skincare routine for Keratosis Pilaris on face?

Fluffy01Fluffy01 Posts: 271Registered Users
For those that don't know about KP, my face gets really really red on the cheeks and the rest of my face gets these little red bumps that aren't zits but look like them. Right now my skin is very very very dry. I'm using Cerave moisturizing cleanser and the moisturizing lotion. It seems to be working some but I think there's better. Any suggestions please? Thank you!

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    Your best bet is a prescription from the dermatologist.

I have it on my arms and the prescription works wonders for me i have used it on my face as well with no problems.

I'm at work and don't have the bottle handy so unfortunately I can't give you the product name.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • Fluffy01Fluffy01 Posts: 271Registered Users
    Yeah I have Differin and Finacea for it but I'm thinking more along the lines of a cleanser, moisturizer, etc. cause I wear makeup and have to get it off. Plus, like I said, my skin is really dry. :/ I still would be interested in knowing which Rx you use on your face, though, cause mine aren't working too well. Thanks!
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just curious, are you sure it's KP on your face and not rosacea? I have redness in my cheeks and bumps too and the doc said it was acne rosacea. I use Metrogel to treat the bumps and quiet the redness. I also use Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Facewash to wash my face with (it doesn't seem to aggravate me). I haven't really found a moisturizer that works well. Right now I am experimenting with Ponds Dryness cream (I don't know the exact name). It's a bit too heavy to put under makeup but it helps with the flakies and doesn't seem to cause alot of aggravation.

I have KP on my arms and legs so I feel for you on that. It's so annoying there, I don't know what I would do if it was on my face too.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • MassCurlsMassCurls Posts: 272Registered Users
    Yup, was misdiagnosed with rosacea and it was KPRF. Took almost a year and 3 derms to get the right diagnosis!

I use Zia Fresh Cleanser for my cleanser, and CeraVe for my moisturizer. That's it. I had about 6 laser treatments and that actually cleaned up all the KPRF for me, and now it's just a matter of not irritating it and occasional maintenance if it starts to get irritated (just have another laser treatment and that cleans it up). The creams they prescribed (Metrogel etc) made it worse, not better.

I use Jane Iredale foundation, and only use her tinted moisturizer this time of year. I'm also currently using Renova (along with taking doxycycline) for acne stuff that's going on. (The Renova is to help fade the red scars the cystic acne has left behind, and it's doing a fabulous job of it!)

Find a good derm if you don't already have one.
    Well I asked my derm if it was rosacea and she said no. I hope she knows what she's talking about. I've been using Cerave cleanser and moisturizer. I'm thinking about trying RCW's routine to see if that calms my skin down. It is mainly in my cheeks tho with some red bumps around my chin/neckline and hairline. :/
    That's rough. I hope she is right on that too because the bumps I get are along my chin and hairline too (well a good portion of my forehead). I don't get too much on the cheeks but they are red so I would have thought rosacea. But if the Finacea isn't working at all then it probably isn't rosacea. Only thing I can tell you is that I found the less I do to my face, the better (product wise). I have scaled back quite a bit on what I put on my face when it comes to makeup. I can't go with nothing (although I would like to) because I am uncomfortable with the redness but I am much more cautious of what I layer on (concealer, foundation, all that).

I am going to look into the Cerave. I haven't seen that one before.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    RNC would you mind me asking what you use makeup-wise? I'm trying to minimalize as well thanks to this. I'm having to rethink everything lately. *sigh* Thanks for the help!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just curious, are you sure it's KP on your face and not rosacea? I have redness in my cheeks and bumps too and the doc said it was acne rosacea. I use Metrogel to treat the bumps and quiet the redness. I also use Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Facewash to wash my face with (it doesn't seem to aggravate me). I haven't really found a moisturizer that works well. Right now I am experimenting with Ponds Dryness cream (I don't know the exact name). It's a bit too heavy to put under makeup but it helps with the flakies and doesn't seem to cause alot of aggravation.

I have KP on my arms and legs so I feel for you on that. It's so annoying there, I don't know what I would do if it was on my face too.

I have rosacea, too, and was also about to ask if she was sure about it being KP.

I've been having good results lately using The Oil Cleansing Method
    www.theoilcleansingmethod.com
    Found out about it here - there's a big, long thread. Then for daytime I've been liking Neostrata's Exuviance SPF 15 daytime formula (available at dermatologists and Ulta or online). For night I've been using Dermactin-TS Rejuvenating Nighttime Serum from Sally's for about 3 months with no problems. I don't need a great deal of moisturizer using OCM (even though I remove any trace of any oil that isn't absorbed with an alcohol-free toner), yet my skin's less oily during the day than it was before OCM - it's weird how the castor oil works that way.

I also have seborrheic dermatitis, and before OCM it was a PITA trying to balance them both - treating one would aggravate the other. It's calmed them both down pretty much.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Makeup wise I use Covergirl Fresh Complexion concealer. Been using it for years. It might not be the absolute best concealer out there but it covers enough of what I need and more importantly it doesn't aggravate me. I have been tinkering with foundation. I have tried mineral but have trouble with it due to my dryness (no matter how I do it, it seems to emphasize the dryness. Really makes the flakies stand out). Right now I have been playing with Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse (I think that's what it is called, it's new). It seems to do ok for me. Not real heavy and doesn't make me itch or look redder. Sometimes I use Almay Pure Blends foundation but it doesn't hold up real well through the day. And sometimes when I don't look really red, then I just do concealer and that's it. I wish I could do that more often but I haven't got the redness fully under control yet. The Metrogel is helping but I will probably try something else next time I see the derm just to see if there is something better out there.

For eye makeup, I can use most things but Almay. For some reason their eyeliners irritate me to no end. I usually stick to Loreal for shadows and liners because I don't seem to have any trouble with them. Lipwise I use whatever gloss looks good to me.

I want to try to OCM thing. I have the stuff to do it but just haven't.
    I agree about mineral make-up - accentuates any flakiness, and though I have relatively few lines for my age, it accentuates every single one I have, LOL. Regular foundations either don't wear well, don't cover well, or aggravate roseacea and/or SD. I continue to try new ones (PJism in make-up, too!), but I always go back to just using Lancome Effacernes Waterproof Undereye (!) Concealer for everything - it covers what I want it to, but if dotted and patted on with bare fingers, not rubbed, wiped or applied with a sponge or brush, it blends into the rest of my skin so that I don't need a foundation. I've been using it for close to 20 years now. I set it with a tad of pressed mineral powder.

Ironically, I like Almay Brighteyes better for undereyes, LOL. I can wear most any eye make-up, although the reds in certain purple/plum/rose shadows are sometimes irritating, but that's a separate issue.

I'm not even having to use my Metrogel since starting OCM, or my SD medication either - before, I had to choose which was worse on any given day and treat that since they pretty much overlapped.

ETA: have you tried Oracea? My dr. had just prescribed it about the time I started OCM. I filled the prescription but I never started taking it - my regular dr. didn't recommend it unless necessary because of some other meds I already have to take orally.

Just looked at your photo - Love your bob!

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    Fluffy01 wrote: »
    I still would be interested in knowing which Rx you use on your face, though, cause mine aren't working too well. Thanks!

Hey there,

I finally remembered to check that prescription for you.

It is RE SA 6% cream riv.

Below that is says substituted for Salex 6% crea hpm.

The derm prescribed for my arms and hands but I decided to try in on my face on small spots and haven't had any adverse reactions.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
    Thank you KR! I'll have to ask about that at my next derm visit!

RNC and Aunt, I've actually been having pretty good luck with Merle Norman tinted moisturizer and the new Physician's Formula organics line (in the green and tan bottles). Maybe give those a whirl? :)
    Tried the tinted organic moisturizer from Physician's Formula. It was ok, not great. I am interested in the Merle Norman one though. I would love to get to a tinted moisturizer. I may look into that Lancome concealer too.

And I use that same Salex lotion on my arms too. Never really thought about trying it on my face. Guess I figured it would be too harsh but I might try in a small spot and see what it does.
    Thanks, but I have too many ills to hide for a tinted moisturizer to be worth anything to me - brown sun spots, melasma, broken capillaries, dark circles, sometimes rosacea redness, general unevenness, etc. If I'm going to have to use a concealer anyway, I'd rather use a plain moisturizer rather than further 'muddy' things up. I'm actually pretty happy with the Exuviance for the past year or so.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glycolic Acid peels or Lactic Acid peels are really good for treating KP. I have it on my legs and thighs and I've been reading a lot of blogs by men and women who also have KP. A lot of people swear by the acid peels. You can find them on amazon.com.
    When I get enough money Im going to buy the Glycolic acid and see how it works.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
    You can also get good peels of various kinds in varying strengths at www.makeupartistschoice.com I've only used their lactic acid peel since I do have so much going on, but some of their others are supposed to be really good and for better prices than you can usually find. I've ordered a lot of stuff from the site and never been displeased with the quality or performance. They send detailed instructions for doing the peels and when I've had questions, Kathleen (Katherine?), the owner has answered my e-mails herself.

VG customer service. They quit carrying a particular powder that I really liked, and when I asked about it, they ordered it directly from their former supplier for me at no additional charge.

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file