Do any of you 3c curlies use...

ayotalayotal Registered Users Posts: 76
...hair 'clays'?:laughing2:

I'm talking about waxes or clays that texturize the hair. It comes in a little pot like pomade and normally it is used for adding definition to short styles, but there are kinds for long hair, too.

I am wondering if any of you have used them to define curls. There are matte kinds, too, so hair does not have a gelled look.

I am currently transitioning, and I am wondering what would be good to define my curls after I BC next year (early preparation concept).

I think it would be interesting to try on curly hair, and it may help to weigh down curls/elongate them.

so, if you have, could you post a message with your experience(s) and the brand you used?

Thanks girls/guys, and GOD Bless. :)

*EDIT

I forgot to mention that these are leave-in products.
Here is an example:

CCCCC
I am a Christian. GOD Bless You All.

Natural 3c/4a hair. Transitioned from January 15, 2009 to January 22, 2010 for 1 year and 1 week. :toothy10:

Low Porosity

Blog

weight.png

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I used Bentonite clay which I purchased at Texas Natural Supply, but some people buy locally at Whole Foods.

It definitely makes my curls pop, but I use it more to detoxify and clean my hair. Some people say it can temporarily make their hair elongate, but I didn't notice that.

I wouldn't worry about that while transitioning though. You won't know how much shrinkage you'll get until the relaxed hair is gone. Shrinkage is just one of the many things our curly hair does so its almost easier to embrace than try to fight it or otherwise you'll get frustrated and go back to relaxers.

HTH! :glasses1:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• ayotalayotal Registered Users Posts: 76
    I'm not much worried about shrinkage (some texturising waxes just have elongation as a bonus)

but mostly I am wondering what these do for definition.

Also, I didn't mention that these are leave-in daily, or as needed, hair products.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Natural 3c/4a hair. Transitioned from January 15, 2009 to January 22, 2010 for 1 year and 1 week. :toothy10:

Low Porosity

Blog

weight.png
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    I've used FX brand molding wax a few times, but I wouldn't say it's a staple for me. You have to be sparing with this kind of stuff because it thickly coats the hair even in small amounts and made my hair a bit stringy.

I think the better (and natural) alternative would be to use Shea Butter.

hth
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ayotalayotal Registered Users Posts: 76
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I forgot about shea butter somehow.

Low Porosity

Blog

weight.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file