The home stretch...

lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
Ok, fitness gurus, I need your assistance!

I've lost about 7-9lbs since January, with two 3-week sabbaticals from the gym and dieting along the way. (I'm fairly petite-- 5'1" and small-framed-- so that amount of weight is kind of a lot extra on my body).

I feel like I've reached a plateau at 116lbs. I look and feel a lot better than I did at Christmas time, but I'd like to maximize my results and look awesome at the beach in three weeks.

My question is, what can I do to help the last few pounds melt off and/or increase my definition and tone? Is it something I can do in the gym or am I going to have to eat super "clean" to get that look?

Right now I'm doing cardio (interval training on the stationary bike) every day and alternating upper and lower body weights, with Sundays off since the gym is closed. I use heavy weights so I can only do between 8 and 12 reps, and 2 or 3 sets.

I'm eating lots of lean meats (mostly tuna, chicken breast, and turkey breast), eggs, salads, V8, fruits, nuts (usually almonds), milk, Greek yogurt with granola, and some whole grains. However some of my "toppers" are a little less healthy-- turkey bacon on sandwiches, and low and no fat cheese and mayo (lots of chemicals :confused4: ).

So, what's your advice? Is there anything I can do in the next 3 weeks to look great in my bikini? Thanks guys!

ETA: I guess what's most frustrating is I can see pretty muscular definition in my arms beginning to emerge, but I can't see any yet in my abs and lower body. I know I've got strong muscles under there but they're just covered up!
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like you know what you are doing already! Try intervals on the treadmill or stairs instead of sitting on the bike. Mix up your workouts; supersets or less rest between sets or maybe even lunges while " resting". Try 15- 20 reps or on the last set. Add a whey protein shake and cut all of the extras like mayo and bread. Remember lots of water!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This will work, especially with the way you are eating:

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/squeeze-stronger-with-tracy-effinger-5600
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    sdc wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you use this DVD? The reviews say it contains an upper body and a lower body workout for a total of 80 minutes. Should both workouts be done together daily, or should they be alternated every other day so the muscle groups have a day off to rest/repair? If you do this workout, what weights do you use? What cardio would you do with this workout?

Also, Do you think I would see results in 3 weeks with daily use?

Sorry for all the questions... TIA.

Do you use this DVD? - Yes, and I LOVE it.

The reviews say it contains an upper body and a lower body workout for a total of 80 minutes. Should both workouts be done together daily, or should they be alternated every other day so the muscle groups have a day off to rest/repair? - Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser said on the radio that her 30 Day Shred DVD can be done every day since it uses light weights. This DVD also uses light weights so I assume it is ok. Tracy says to do it 3 days a week. There are other DVDs that are this same technique (The Bar Method, Callanetics and Lotte Berk), and they all seem to be ok with training most if not, every day.

If you do this workout, what weights do you use? I use 2 to 5 pounds, (and for chest I use no weights at all), except for the deadlift warmup where I use 12s.

What cardio would you do with this workout? This method is derived from Lotte Berk, which also spawned the other methods I mentioned above. The Bar Method website says you don't need cardio, but you can if you want to. None of these methods mention cardio really and Callanetics seems to imply that you don't need it. I find that I don't need cardio with this, if I do it reguraly and eat fairly well. I started adding cardio in a couple of weeks ago and actually lost some of my progress from the DVD. http://www.barmethod.com/questions/cardio.html

Also, Do you think I would see results in 3 weeks with daily use? - Yes, I really do, because you are very close to your goal and you eat really well.

One more thing. This DVD has a technical problem in that the warmup is cut short in the pre-mixed versions and the ab section is also cut short in the pre mix. However, if you want to just do upper body one day and lower another you can use the long version, do the warm up and it will go right into the upper body, if you want to do the lower body you can FF to the lower body exercises very easily and won't miss a thing.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Abs are made in the kitchen. No amount of exercise will carve them out. So you probably will have to make some slight adjustments to your diet.

Your diet looks very similar to mine (except I substitute liquor for the turkey bacon;). I would suggest cutting back a bit on portion size. The only way to lose fat is to create a deficit - either thru calorie reduction, exercise or a combination of both. If you know how many calories you're consuming per day right now, it would be helpful. I'm the same weight as you and I start at around 1400 calories (which is 12x my bodyweight). If you don't lose weight at that level, then drop to 11x and so on.

Adding cardio can help but not the way I choose to go. But then again I hate cardio. I prefer to control my diet.

Also, heavier weights and lower reps are usually for muscle growth. And from what I've read, you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you've never lifted weights before and have a significant amount of body fat to reduce. Believe me I've tried. LOL
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    I just want to comment on whatsercurl's post. Mostly I agree with it. Diet is extremely important, but IMO you are doing much better than most people and unless you want to be a body builder I think there is such a thing as being too strict. Gotta have some fun!

I also hate cardio.

As for the heavy weights you can get good results with the light weights using the DVD I suggested. It is a much different form of exercise than most people are used to. However, if you like lifting heavy you won't enjoy this most likely. I never got the results with heavy weights that I am getting with this, but I don't enjoy the heavy lifting and I do enjoy this. Just wanted to point out that there are different ways to achieve your desired results, but eating right and conisistency with whatever you decide is key.
    sdc wrote: »
    I just want to comment on whatsercurl's post. Mostly I agree with it. Diet is extremely important, but IMO you are doing much better than most people and unless you want to be a body builder I think there is such a thing as being too strict. Gotta have some fun!

I also hate cardio.

As for the heavy weights you can get good results with the light weights using the DVD I suggested. It is a much different form of exercise than most people are used to. However, if you like lifting heavy you won't enjoy this most likely. I never got the results with heavy weights that I am getting with this, but I don't enjoy the heavy lifting and I do enjoy this. Just wanted to point out that there are different ways to achieve your desired results, but eating right and conisistency with whatever you decide is key.

Thanks for your input, both of you. I figure good diet and attempts at exercising can't be bad, so I'm not hurting myself either way! Back when I was tracking calories for a while, I actually had a really hard time getting enough. That's why I'm not really too concerned about my diet, because that's been totally overhauled and I'm actually really proud of myself for changing my life in this way. Of course, what I posted was my ideal day of eating... I don't always eat so clean, especially because SO and I brew beer so it's really hard for me to resist sometimes. Plus I'm in college... I mean, come on! :occasion5:

I ordered the DVD earlier (hope it gets here soon!) and will have to go out to Play It Again Sports and see if I can get some dumbells for cheap. Unless you suggest otherwise I think I'll get a set of 3's and maybe 5's if I can afford it (money is really tight right now). By the time it gets here I'll probably only have 2 weeks to do it before the beach... should've asked you guys sooner, I guess!

I usually use machines for my lower body (flexion at 70-ish lbs and extension at 80-ish pounds; abduction at 100lbs and adduction at 80-ish) and 10's for my upper body (biceps curls, flys, overhead press, and triceps) so using 3's is going to be really... weird! I don't dislike high weight or low weight really, it's just going to be different.

On the other hand, I really don't like cardio, so I'm happy to hear that cardio is optional with this DVD. I've found it hard to get to the gym lately (final exams and all) so it'll be nice to get my workout done at the house. Plus I just hate doing it.

Thanks again for your help. Sdc, do you think a set of 3lb weights and 5lb weights will be enough to start out with?

3 and 5's will be fine. I hope you get the results you want!
    Tracy came in the mail on Saturday, but I haven't gotten out to Play it Again Sports yet to get some weights. I think I'll get out there today when I go to the grocery, so I can try out the dvd. I'm excited to try it out and I hope doing it every day for the next two weeks will yield a few results before it's bikini time.

Thanks again for the rec, sdc. I hope Tracy kicks my butt!

lauraloo, did you notice that you need a ball too? I just got a childs ball about the size of a soccer ball.You could use a towel if you don't have ball.

Every day is really ambitious, let me know how you like it! I did the full workout Saturday and the 30 minute workout from the original Squeeze on Sunday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file