Frizz caused me to over condition.

loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
And now my hair seems really limp.

So I started doing the cg method because I hated my frizz. I've been doing it for almost 2 weeks now, I even went and chopped most of the older hair off. I like the condition of my hair, mostly. The frizz has been consistent tho throughout this whole process. I know I should be patient but the frizz is really bugging me, I can't stand it. I think I have overloaded my hair in the pursuit of getting rid of frizz but it hasn't worked.

So now, I threw out all my sulfate and cone poos and don't know how I'm going to get all of this build up out of my hair. Will acv be enough? If I do the acv rinse should i co-wash afterwards? I read its mostly used to close the cuticle so I'm not sure how it will do with removing build up. Will just water washing be enough?

Also, I did some searching and seen that some protein might be in order for limp hair. I have lvpng that says it has some proteins. If I do a DT with that will it be enough? I also have some coconut milk, anyone know if it has protiens?
Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
In depth wikis :sign9:
http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:

Comments

• tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but here's what I can offer:

I would recommend doing a low poo (such as Giovanni TTTT) to remove the buildup. I think you are right -- the acv rinse will not do that. I have started using the GTTTT once about every 2-3 weeks, and have liked it since I know I'm giving my hair a fresh start and can evaluate how the products are doing without being worried about old buildup or whatever. I know there are some other lowpoos out there but the GTTTT is easy to find (Target, health food stores).

About protein, again I think you are on the right track with that. Is your hair fine? We fine haired curly girls tend to need more protein than others. There have been a lot of threads here about protein so check them out to get some ideas. I don't think the protein in the LVPNG would really be enough for a DT. For a protein DT I would recommend AOGPB (I use this about once a week) or try the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor knockoff at Sally's (it does have mineral oil but my hair loves it loves it loves it -- I use it about once every three weeks). Protein is great but I've learned you can't overdo it (for example with LVPNG day one is fabulous hair. If I use it two days in a row it's a disaster.)

I've read a lot of people using the coconut milk for DTs -- the recipes forum should have a lot of info on that. I think if you play with adding protein you'll notice a difference in your hair. Good luck!:)
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you have been doing CG there should be no build-up. I stopped co-washing esp. with Suave and do water rinses, shikakai rinses, sugar scrubs, wash with castile soap 1X week. Protein may be good for fine hair. I like Komaza HoneyComb treatment every 2 weeks; it brings my curls back to life, adds thickness and body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • elitaelita Posts: 402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It depends on what you're using. A couple weeks ago I got build-up from what I believe was castor oil in some of the Deva products. I also had overconditioned hair last week. Both give you limp curls, but the difference I've noticed is that with build-up my hair felt kind of filmy and with overconditioning my hair was mushy and stretchy.

ACV rinses help with overconditioning. Like anything, not everybody has the same results. It works best for me when I pour it over my hair after co-washing, then add conditioner and comb it to detangle, then rinse both out.

I also stopped conditioning my hair everyday. Now either I wet it and try for 2nd day hair, or I put my hair up (at least for this week to give my hair a break). After wetting your hair (whether co-washing, water washing, or using a low-poo), you may not always need a leave-in. I now run my fingers through my hair after rinsing it, then only add a leave-in if it doesn't have a slip to it.
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    tendrilly wrote: »
    Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but here's what I can offer:

I would recommend doing a low poo (such as Giovanni TTTT) to remove the buildup. I think you are right -- the acv rinse will not do that. I have started using the GTTTT once about every 2-3 weeks, and have liked it since I know I'm giving my hair a fresh start and can evaluate how the products are doing without being worried about old buildup or whatever. I know there are some other lowpoos out there but the GTTTT is easy to find (Target, health food stores).

About protein, again I think you are on the right track with that. Is your hair fine? We fine haired curly girls tend to need more protein than others. There have been a lot of threads here about protein so check them out to get some ideas. I don't think the protein in the LVPNG would really be enough for a DT. For a protein DT I would recommend AOGPB (I use this about once a week) or try the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor knockoff at Sally's (it does have mineral oil but my hair loves it loves it loves it -- I use it about once every three weeks). Protein is great but I've learned you can't overdo it (for example with LVPNG day one is fabulous hair. If I use it two days in a row it's a disaster.)

I've read a lot of people using the coconut milk for DTs -- the recipes forum should have a lot of info on that. I think if you play with adding protein you'll notice a difference in your hair. Good luck!:)

Ya I thought about the low poo, I really think I need it at this point as just co-washing just makes me feel like I'm making my hair more producty.

I'm not sure how fine my hair is, to me it's not. Compared to my husbands, a strand of my hair appears much thicker. However my hair dresser told me just last week that my hair is fine, I just have a lot of it. So kind of confused on this part.

I did do a lot of searching on coconut milk, I will just have to try it. Thanks :toothy8:
    If you have been doing CG there should be no build-up. I stopped co-washing esp. with Suave and do water rinses, shikakai rinses, sugar scrubs, wash with castile soap 1X week. Protein may be good for fine hair. I like Komaza HoneyComb treatment every 2 weeks; it brings my curls back to life, adds thickness and body.

My problem is that my frizz is so bad that I am not just using a lot of products, but I am using a lot of products thru out the day. When one thing doesn't work, I've gone ahead and put something else on it.. and so on. By the end of the day you can imagine what it felt looked like.

I know I may need to accept that frizz is part of my hair, but its so frustrating because I dont see every curly head walking around with the amount that I have, and I dont want to either :mad:.
    elita wrote: »
    It depends on what you're using. A couple weeks ago I got build-up from what I believe was castor oil in some of the Deva products. I also had overconditioned hair last week. Both give you limp curls, but the difference I've noticed is that with build-up my hair felt kind of filmy and with overconditioning my hair was mushy and stretchy.

ACV rinses help with overconditioning. Like anything, not everybody has the same results. It works best for me when I pour it over my hair after co-washing, then add conditioner and comb it to detangle, then rinse both out.

I also stopped conditioning my hair everyday. Now either I wet it and try for 2nd day hair, or I put my hair up (at least for this week to give my hair a break). After wetting your hair (whether co-washing, water washing, or using a low-poo), you may not always need a leave-in. I now run my fingers through my hair after rinsing it, then only add a leave-in if it doesn't have a slip to it.

Hmm I havn't felt what you describe as over cond. so maybe its just the filmy and limp part. I've stopped cond. as well and have just water washed since I've posted this. I then just used a lighter gel and pulled my hair back in barrettes so I didn't have to look at the droop.

Thanks ladies for all your insight. I think I'll just have to deal with the frizz :angry7: and try one thing at a time instead of loading it all onto my head at once.

And again sorry if this was a redundant. I guess I just needed to vent a little because there is only so much you can tell people who already think you're crazy for not using shampoo anymore. :cyclops: And I knew that you guys would understand.

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
  • tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    Ya I thought about the low poo, I really think I need it at this point as just co-washing just makes me feel like I'm making my hair more producty.

My problem is that my frizz is so bad that I am not just using a lot of products, but I am using a lot of products thru out the day. When one thing doesn't work, I've gone ahead and put something else on it.. and so on. By the end of the day you can imagine what it felt looked like.

I know I may need to accept that frizz is part of my hair, but its so frustrating because I dont see every curly head walking around with the amount that I have, and I dont want to either :mad:.

^^^loewin quotes^^^
    (trying to figure out how to quote you...still new at this....should have used "multi-quote" I think) loewin, just an update about the low poo. I was at Walmart and they now have the Giovanni. And then today I was at Rite-Aid (getting my LVPNG buy one get one free!) and they have Giovanni buy one get one free as well. It's so easy to find, unlike some of the other products you hear about.

I so know what you mean about adding products throughout the day to deal with frizz and to try to refresh. In fact, just last night, there I was at 9 pm putting my husband's LA Looks gel on my hair! :geek:
    It is frustrating, especially when you are CG and you feel like you are doing "everything right." But then I'll have some great hair days, when I don't have to do that at all, that help me to figure things out and encourage me along.:toothy5: We'll get there!
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    You may just have to accept that you won't be able to get rid of all your frizz :) Maybe try putting a little jojoba or coconut oil on frizzies when your hair is dry so you don't feel the need to slather your hair in conditioner all the time.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • skeletonkeyskeletonkey Posts: 13Registered Users
    Hello! I am also on week 2 of the Cg thing, although I have had to modify a little. The first week my hair was RIDICULOUSLY frizzy- I was using Suave Coconut as a CO wash. After I switched conditioners, much of the frizz went away. I feel like My hair responds well to oil, and the Suave really didn't have any.
    Also I have found that I can't just co-wash. I really do need to wash with a low-poo. It is a completely gentle sulfate free one, but its very gentle(not stripping at all) and is the key to balancing.

Maybe you are using too many styling products at once? Have you tried a little bit of oil or silicone free pomade on the frizzy spots? Also a very light leave in applied when you hair is wet may prevent frizz.
    Everyone's hair is different but this is what has worked for me.
    loewin wrote: »
    And now my hair seems really limp.

So I started doing the cg method because I hated my frizz. I've been doing it for almost 2 weeks now, I even went and chopped most of the older hair off. I like the condition of my hair, mostly. The frizz has been consistent tho throughout this whole process. I know I should be patient but the frizz is really bugging me, I can't stand it. I think I have overloaded my hair in the pursuit of getting rid of frizz but it hasn't worked.

So now, I threw out all my sulfate and cone poos and don't know how I'm going to get all of this build up out of my hair. Will acv be enough? If I do the acv rinse should i co-wash afterwards? I read its mostly used to close the cuticle so I'm not sure how it will do with removing build up. Will just water washing be enough?

Also, I did some searching and seen that some protein might be in order for limp hair. I have lvpng that says it has some proteins. If I do a DT with that will it be enough? I also have some coconut milk, anyone know if it has protiens?
    2c/3a, very porous, very baby fine strands but LOTs of it. More wavy than curly.Trying to grow out my hair into longer bob- going for "flapper elf wispy look".
    still researching products and am trying "no poo"
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    When I am out shopping again I am going to try this, Giovanni. I heard good things about it. Gel at 9 pm... lol... u soo knew what I was talking about.
    Thanks so much for your advice, its nice to know someone else out there knows what you're talking about :angel3:
    tendrilly wrote: »
    loewin, just an update about the low poo. I was at Walmart and they now have the Giovanni. And then today I was at Rite-Aid (getting my LVPNG buy one get one free!) and they have Giovanni buy one get one free as well. It's so easy to find, unlike some of the other products you hear about.

I so know what you mean about adding products throughout the day to deal with frizz and to try to refresh. In fact, just last night, there I was at 9 pm putting my husband's LA Looks gel on my hair! :geek:
    It is frustrating, especially when you are CG and you feel like you are doing "everything right." But then I'll have some great hair days, when I don't have to do that at all, that help me to figure things out and encourage me along.:toothy5: We'll get there!

I think I am coming to that understanding. I mean it would be nice to have all perfect defined curls but ya, its not a perfect world. O and I have picked up jojoba and coconut. I think part of the problem was throwing them over top of everything else during the day. I think what I may do is try one thing daily, no matter how my hair turns out just to see what it's affects alone are on my hair. Thanks!
    miralaluna wrote: »
    You may just have to accept that you won't be able to get rid of all your frizz :) Maybe try putting a little jojoba or coconut oil on frizzies when your hair is dry so you don't feel the need to slather your hair in conditioner all the time.

I just picked up Suave coconut hoping that using something different would give me different results. Which conditioner did you switch to? I wonder if I need to how much coconut oil I could safely add to it for my co-wash.

Yes I was absolutely going overboard with the products. I was mainly adding leave in at various parts of the day to try and tame the frizz thinking my hair isn't moisturized enough, and then I'd add some oil, and then more gel, and then maybe a little bit of this and a little more of that... by the end of the day it was pretty built up.... And the frizz was still there.:-?
    Thanks for your input, maybe I do need lighter products, its something for me to think about.
    Hello! I am also on week 2 of the Cg thing, although I have had to modify a little. The first week my hair was RIDICULOUSLY frizzy- I was using Suave Coconut as a CO wash. After I switched conditioners, much of the frizz went away. I feel like My hair responds well to oil, and the Suave really didn't have any.
    Also I have found that I can't just co-wash. I really do need to wash with a low-poo. It is a completely gentle sulfate free one, but its very gentle(not stripping at all) and is the key to balancing.

Maybe you are using too many styling products at once? Have you tried a little bit of oil or silicone free pomade on the frizzy spots? Also a very light leave in applied when you hair is wet may prevent frizz.
    Everyone's hair is different but this is what has worked for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file