Foundation suggestions

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I keep trying to find a foundation that looks good but no luck. I might try a tinted moisturizer. I have good skin for my age but it kind of looks mask like even if it is a very sheer foundation on top of primer. Any really great products you recommend? I have freckles and don't mind if they show through. I just seem to look more alive without foundation but I would like something really sheer to just even out my skintone. Thanks for any suggestions!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i've heard good things about Laura Mercier tinted foundation. it's pricey, though - $42US at Sephora.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I HIGHLY recommend Meow mineral foundation. I've NEVER liked mineral makeup but on someone's recommendation here I tried it and LOVE it. They have three different levels of coverage so you can definitely find one that will suit your needs. The best thing about them is they have samples of everything for sale. The website helps you find a color that's good for you and the samples are generous enough use for many days to really test it out. The bad part is once I'd used up all my sample and knew for sure I wanted this stuff it took a while to get the real thing.

Oh, just realized I sound like a commercial :laughing6: but it really is amazingly nice stuff.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    eche428 wrote: »
    I HIGHLY recommend Meow mineral foundation. I've NEVER liked mineral makeup but on someone's recommendation here I tried it and LOVE it. They have three different levels of coverage so you can definitely find one that will suit your needs. The best thing about them is they have samples of everything for sale. The website helps you find a color that's good for you and the samples are generous enough use for many days to really test it out. The bad part is once I'd used up all my sample and knew for sure I wanted this stuff it took a while to get the real thing.

Oh, just realized I sound like a commercial :laughing6: but it really is amazingly nice stuff.

agree! i LOVE meow!!! it has turned my skin around like nothing else. the beauty is now i actually need less makeup.

buy samples in a lot of shades, test them out and buy!!! i also love their blush.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OK! Going to go to Meow website right now and sometime this week will go to Bloomies and test out the LM foundation. Also will try some sort of powder if it is moisturizing and not drying. I'm clearly a makeup pj.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Becca
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    luvmylocs wrote: »

agree! i LOVE meow!!! it has turned my skin around like nothing else. the beauty is now i actually need less makeup.

buy samples in a lot of shades, test them out and buy!!! i also love their blush.

It's so funny you should say this. I was just thinking yesterday that my roseacea has never been better since starting to use Meow. It's only been two weeks but I'm not taking my usual antibiotic for my skin and so far it's been wonderful.

Here's hoping it's the Meow and not just a fluke! Either way I'm loving this makeup.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • BEERITBEERIT Posts: 69Registered Users
    I have always been an avid Sephora girl but honestly I like the almay pure blends line because like minerals it's all natural and since I can't use a mineral concealer for my dark circles I like this as a second best and trust me I have tried 1000000 different foundations a such thanks to sephora but this one to me suits me best
    Medium 3b
    Normal Porosity
    CG as of 04/26/2009
    mag sulfate, certain protein & honey sensitive

My Fotki
    pw: htown
    ent to several Bloomies and Lord & Taylor stores and got 7 free samples! Also went to Meow website but haven't yet figured out which samples to get. Will check Becca in Sephora. I didn't realize so many makeup counters will give free samples - this is fun!
  • Rebecca 1995Rebecca 1995 Posts: 118Registered Users
    bare minerals is really good. it's mineral make up so it does not make you break out and it will cover almost every skin tone. you can also layer it for more coverage. plus, the starter kit has tons of stuff in it and is only $60 (for 2 foundations, a bronzer, power, 3 brushes, foundation primer, and how-to dvd instructions, that seems like a pretty good deal - at least to me =] ). good luck! hope i could help!
    Hair type: 2c - 3b!! o and its thick =]]

Currently Using:
    -John Frieda Daily Nourishment leave-in conditioning spray
    -Alberto VO5 Curvaceous Curls Styling Mousse
    -Living Proof No Frizz, Wave Shaping/Curl Defining Styling Cream (thick to coarse hair)
    I HEART CURLS <3
    Becca used to be in Sephora, not anymore. Check around online.

Mineral makeup never worked for me. It's too powdery looking and I've never gotten a color match. My skin is very yellow/green/sallow, so if you're in that category too, you might have a similar experience as I did. Most of the mineral shades are too orangey. And Bare Minerals (I think that's the one) makes your skin too shiny or pearlescent looking.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    My skin tends to be olive-toned, but the Bare Minerals blends perfectly into it. Although my skin tends to be oily (especially in the summer), Bare Minerals doesn't make my skin look pearlescent. I finish off with Mineral Veil to keep the shine under control, but without looking powdery.

Because it is a little pricey, I would try it before buying it first. You can check to see if there's a Bare Minerals boutique or Ulta in your area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
    Phoenix wrote: »
    And Bare Minerals (I think that's the one) makes your skin too shiny or pearlescent looking.

Are you sure? Did you use power?

Currently Using:
    -Living Proof No Frizz, Wave Shaping/Curl Defining Styling Cream (thick to coarse hair)
    I HEART CURLS <3
    meow has a huge range of colors. with the samples being only $1 i bought tons and played like i would at at makeup counter. i got the perfect match. my skin is so much better, it's worth it to try to find the right shade in their line in my opinion. the mineral makeup does not break me out in any way, nor does it make me look weird or more oily than normal.
    And Bare Minerals (I think that's the one) makes your skin too shiny or pearlescent looking.

Powder, you mean? I tried it on at Ulta and the color was off. I had an acquaintance who used it every day and that's how I noticed the pearlescence. She thinks it matches her skin perfectly too. It doesn't. It's too red/orange for her yellow skin.
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    meow has a huge range of colors. with the samples being only $1 i bought tons and played like i would at at makeup counter. i got the perfect match. my skin is so much better, it's worth it to try to find the right shade in their line in my opinion. the mineral makeup does not break me out in any way, nor does it make me look weird or more oily than normal.

I tried meow and still could never get the color right.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• OliviaRoseOliviaRose Posts: 83Registered Users
    I use Maybelline Mineral Power Liquid Foundation, but I suggest IMAN Cosmetics, I love her foundations.

:)

Good Luck
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Posts: 228Registered Users
    I've been using Make Up Forever HD invisible cover foundation from Sephora. I had almost given up on wearing foundation because most of the ones I tried made my skin look older and accentuated lines. The MUFE is just right, not greasy or drying, and doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask. :thumbup:
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.

Powder, you mean? I tried it on at Ulta and the color was off. I had an acquaintance who used it every day and that's how I noticed the pearlescence. She thinks it matches her skin perfectly too. It doesn't. It's too red/orange for her yellow skin.

I did mean powder. Sorry, type-o. Anyway, the powder is translucent and you put it on after the foundation. It's called Mineral Veil. That's the stuff that makes your skin matte after applying the foundation.

Currently Using:
    I HEART CURLS <3
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    bunniee23 wrote: »
    I've been using Make Up Forever HD invisible cover foundation from Sephora. I had almost given up on wearing foundation because most of the ones I tried made my skin look older and accentuated lines. The MUFE is just right, not greasy or drying, and doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask. :thumbup:

Thank goodness, I almost had to get off my butt to get the right name of the Make Up Forever HD. I love this stuff, it blends in like nobodies business.
    I'm going to look into the MUFE HD at Sephora. One thing that looks awful on me, with or without foundation is powder even though I'm not horribly dry.

Thanks to all the posters. I will probably end up trying everything, but obviously not buying everything:thumbup:
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Becca used to be in Sephora, not anymore. Check around online.

Mineral makeup never worked for me. It's too powdery looking and I've never gotten a color match. My skin is very yellow/green/sallow, so if you're in that category too, you might have a similar experience as I did. Most of the mineral shades are too orangey. And Bare Minerals (I think that's the one) makes your skin too shiny or pearlescent looking.

Ever looked at Valana?
    http://valanaminerals.com/StardustLF.php

I'm pretty much completely lost about makeup, and the only thing I ever use is a small amount of Valana's Earth Diva. It looks like I'm not wearing any makeup since I just use it to even everything out. And I never feel like I'm wearing any either. The coverage is very nice and natural.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Nope, never tried it. But I'm interested to now.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I HIGHLY recommend Meow mineral foundation.

Where do you get it? I've never heard of it before.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
    mandyv wrote: »
    I HIGHLY recommend Meow mineral foundation.

Where do you get it? I've never heard of it before.

mandyv do a search here and read ALL the meow threads...there are tons. it's only available on-line which deterred me at first but it's been SO worth it!!
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, how the heck do you pick a matching shade? I did look online and found it, but i've never bought makeup without trying it on first.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
    Meow or Becca?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

mandyv wrote: »
    Well, how the heck do you pick a matching shade? I did look online and found it, but i've never bought makeup without trying it on first.

i hadn't either. read the descriptions of the shades. the pics are sort of accurate including the comments that indicate a couple of breeds are lighter. there are forums and they say there are folks that will suggest shades if you send them a pic of yourself. i just got sort of lucky because the fierce sphynx was a good match and it was in my batch of samples since it was only $1 for the samples i bought probably 10+ shades. that's what i would recommend. again read the threads here. there are others that might be able to give you suggestions on how to pick a shade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file