The Pear Thread

MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
This is the thread for everyone with a pear shaped figure and for anyone who can identify with anything pear related.

The idea is that it will contain fitness, diet and style tips and discussions. Also, personal goals/issues and anything else you want to discuss.

This thread isn't saying that a pear shape is bad. J Lo and Beyonce are two examples of absolutely gorgeous figures which just happen to be pear shaped. Rather, this thread is about concentrating on pear-specific issues in order to make your body look as good as it can.

Comments

• CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    My goal is to be consistent with healthy eating and to not give into PMS cravings (i.e. fried chicken and chocolate :( :lol: ). That starts tomorrow! :lol:
  • mailgirlmailgirl Posts: 451Registered Users
    yay! This is a good idea! I have a booty on me...and have recently regained some weight I lost!...so, I am working on losing it.
    3a/3b/3c/36D

May the hair gods shine on me (and you!).

My silly veggie blog: vegefattien
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    mailgirl wrote:
    yay! This is a good idea! I have a booty on me...and have recently regained some weight I lost!...so, I am working on losing it.

Now let's clarify this...

To me, there are two aspects to booty size.

There's the width compared to the waist (you see this when someone stands with their back to you).
    There's also the amount of sticky outy-ness from the person's back. When the person stands with their side to you, how much does their booty stick out.

Which aspect are you looking to reduce, or are you wanting to reduce both?

For me, I have too much width booty and not enough side booty. :lol:
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Mip wrote:
    mailgirl wrote:

Now let's clarify this...

To me, there are two aspects to booty size.

There's the width compared to the waist (you see this when someone stands with their back to you).
    There's also the amount of sticky outy-ness from the person's back. When the person stands with their side to you, how much does their booty stick out.

Which aspect are you looking to reduce, or are you wanting to reduce both?

For me, I have too much width booty and not enough side booty. :lol:

I think that booty-width is really wide hips, and not actually booty at all. But for some reason we prefer to say we have a "big booty" even if we have a flat booty and wide hips...it just sounds sexier and more acceptable the other way. Pear-shaped women have wide hips, right, that's what make us the pear. I would like to lose weight from my hips and thighs.

My advice for other pears: Push-up bras to balance you out, and pants that arent' too tight. Clothes should graze your hips and butt, not cling to them for dear life as the seams are about to split! Also, well-fitting jeans with the right rise can do MIRACLES! For me, this is a fairly low rise, because things that come up higher need to go in at the waist, and in ends up emphasizing the roundness and fullness of my lower body.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • ladypladyp Posts: 40Registered Users
    do any of u find that squats and lunges help to firm up your butt and thighs. I don;'t think I really see any diff.
  • funkymunkycurlfunkymunkycurl Posts: 83Registered Users
    Squats and lunges absolutely firm up my butt and thighs. If anything else they give my butt my lift.
    Formerly known as colomunky.
  • ChrematisaiChrematisai Posts: 85Registered Users
    Whoo! Go pear! I've been pear-shaped since I hit 13, which was a real pain with me being as flat as a board on top at that point. It runs in the family.

I've got a good bit of both the width and the side booty. It's good now my top half has caught up to some degree (I'm 19, and recently finished filling out [finally!!!!:D]).

It's all about the pants, man. The right pants can be difficult to find, but when you do, they are worth it. And don't be afraid to get the waist of your pants altered if the hips/rear of the pants fit, but the waist is too wide. I very frequently have this problem, and the alteration makes all the difference. It's really worth it.

For me, cycling has worked WONDERS! I don't drive, so I ride my bike everywhere, weather permitting, and since I've had to do so (ie, my parents will no longer chauffer me around :P), there has been a HUGE improvement in the hip, glute, and thigh areas. When I move out, I wouldn't mind getting a stationary bike, too - if only for the long winters up here in Canada :roll:
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i recently read an article about spoon shaped folks (similar to pear classification)....these are the exercises they said are good and bad:

Best Exercises for Spoon Shaped Folks
    - Jumping rope with a speed rope
    - Stationary biking with light resistance only and high RPMs (90 to 120)
    - Jumping jacks
    - Ski machines with light resistance for lower body and high resistance for upper body
    - Standing knee to opposite chest, L-kicks, leg-outs, one-legged leg lifts, and vertical scissors
    - Side leg lifts
    - Dead lifts with little or no weight
    - Marching in place on toes
    - All variations of push-ups
    - Chin-ups, pull-ups
    - Dips
    - If overweight, fast walking or slow jogging with no incline or hills
    - If not overweight, all or any upper-body exercises with moderate to heavy weights and dead lifts with no weight

Worse Exercises for Spoon Shaped Folks
    - Squats
    - Lunges
    - Leg presses
    - Leg extensions and leg curls
    - Ankle weights
    - All stair climbers/steppers
    - All step classes
    - Versa climbers
    - Long-distance running at high speeds
    - Sprinting
    - Roller blading
    - Sliding
    - Skating
    - Swimming
    - Kick-boxing
    - Spinning
    - All high-impact aerobic and exercise classes
    - All lower-body exercises with moderate to high resistance or weights
    - Walking or jogging on any sort of incline
    - Rowing with lower-body resistance
    - Jumping rope with a weighted rope
    - Inner-outer leg machines
    - Cross-country ski machine with lower-body resistance

i ignore the spinning but when i spin i don't do a lot of high resistance work....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file