Am I not eating enough to lose weight?

leelee28leelee28 Posts: 137Registered Users
So last week I decided to start tracking my calories online. I put in my goal (2lbs/week) and my current weight, height, etc. It also asked for my regular activity level, and I put moderate since I walk a lot during the day between classes. It calculated that I should eat about 1800 (i think it's 1811 to be exact) calories/day. I can track my exercise and it calculates approximately how many calories I've burned, and then it gives me a net calories for the day. So I can in theory eat more. I've been on it for a week and have been really faithful to it. I track everything, watch what I eat, and exercise everyday. I do a lot of biking or walking, and swim 2x a week. I drink at least 64oz of water a day (usually more) and have cut back on soda to about 1 a day.
Now, I know that it's only been a week.... but NOTHING has changed. My weight is the same, as well as my chest, waist, and hip measurements. I am kind of discouraged. I know when I did WW years ago, I lost like 5lbs in the first week!

One thing that I am struggling with is the calories. I am wondering if I am not getting enough. I eat somewhere between 1200 and 1800 calories a day, depending on what I am doing. However, my net calories almost never go aboce 1200. Should I be eating more? I know that if you don't eat enough, your body tries to conserve fat. I get in this mode that I don't want to eat over my allotted 1800, even if I've exercised and netted like 1100. Could this be my problem? I'm so afraid to eat too much! I'm really into this, but I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

Help!
Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Finding the sweet spot to losing weight can take some time.

A good rule of thumb is to eat calories equal to 12x your body weight to start. You can start going down from there if you don't lose weight in a couple weeks. You may have been heavier or retaining a lot of fluid when you lost 5 lbs in a week on WW. And on WW, you were probably also closely monitoring your points (if that was the system you used). Points monitor your calories for you by telling you how many points you can have for your bodyweight - they've done the math for you on food items and pre-determined how many calories each selection has. At least as I understand it, that's what it does.

There are different schools of thought on protein during the weight loss period. I wanted to lose body fat but not weight so I ate protein with every meal and snack.

1g of protein per lb of body weight if you want to keep lean muscle.

.4-.5g of fat/lb BW (olive oil, nut butters, oily fish) are also necessary to keep you losing weight.

I'm not a calorie counter but if you're struggling to lose weight I would strongly suggest weighing your food until you know how much 1/2 cup or 4 oz looks like, if you're not already. Otherwise, you could be off in how much you're actually eating.

For me, sticking to 'real' food, lean poultry and meat, fish, whole grains, nuts and fruits/vegetables was all I needed. I eat very little processed food and keep my sodium down to prevent water retention.

But I do drink almost every day (1 or 2). I'd probably be at my goal already if I didn't :laughing6:

This is just my way and yes you could easily be eating too little but in order to be sure it's important to know what you're taking in.

ETA: A week isn't long enough to figure out whether you're eating too little. I'd wait at least 2.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • leelee28leelee28 Posts: 137Registered Users
    I have been really good about measuring out what I am taking in, and calculating my serving sizes if I go above or below what a serving is. I put in everything into this website, and it tracks percentages of everything, how my calories are being broken down, etc (although I'm pretty sure I can't say on here what I use :( )
    I know that a week is early. But I just don't want to be eating too little, because I know that starving yourself isn't going to help. And I am not starving by any means, but when I'm only netting less that 1000 calories, I worry that I'm not eating enough still.
    This whole exercise and diet thing is confusing to me!
    It's like, eat fewer calories, but then you exercise and burn a ton of calories, so you are you supposed to eat more? (now, not to say that I burn 700 and then make up for it by eating 700 calories) but you know what I mean?
    I feel like there has to be some kind of balance there and I just want to do it right! :)

You can eat less on days you don't work out and more on days you do. I haven't personally done that but I know lots that do. The only extra I add in on weight training days is a protein shake immediately following my workout.

If you eat 1000 calories now, you have nowhere to go.

It can be difficult to eat as often and as much as many 'diets' tell you to eat. It took some getting used to eating breakfast especially for me.

If 12x your bodyweight is 1800 calories, I'd try to stick to that for a couple weeks and see how you make out. If you're not losing weight or inches (and inches is definitely more reliable - glad you measured first :)), then you can try 11x your BW.

Thanks for the advice!
    I will definitely be keeping with this and check in and let you know how I am doing! :)

• lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    Leelee, are you using Sparkpeople? Because I highly recommend their site :) I use it. They give you a calorie goal range. They also tell you a range of amounts of protein, carbs, etc. you should eat.

They recommend not going below 1200 calories. If you eat too little, you won't lose weight, and you'll be unhealthy. There's a lot of info about this on their site.

If you normally walk a lot, but some days you work out or do additional physical activities, it would make sense to eat more.

I also read that it's good to eat something before working out (i.e., if you do it in the morning, have a healthy snack at least) and after working out (something with protein, like the protein shake someone mentioned, because your body will be able to use the protein even more effectively than usual.)

A week really isn't enough time for results, though, as others have said. Sometimes, if you're building muscle, you won't lose pounds at first but will notice your body becoming more toned and clothes fitting better, etc.

Hope this info helps! :)

:cat:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
    Thanks!
    I think I just haven't been eating enough and so I am going to try and keep my calorie count up a bit higher. :)
    I will keep you up-to-date on my progress :)

(and I use thedailyplate)

leelee28 wrote: »
    Thanks!
    I think I just haven't been eating enough and so I am going to try and keep my calorie count up a bit higher. :)
    I will keep you up-to-date on my progress :)

(and I use thedailyplate)

The Daily Plate is the one used by many fitness competitiors. So that one is good choice.

Good luck :)

Thanks!
    I'm really excited :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file