I can't stand my hair curly :(

sarahsmilessarahsmiles Posts: 14Registered Users
I have weird curly hair. My hair is a little past my shoulders. It looks nice wet, but when it dries it gets poofy and frizzy. I always straighten my hair because I don't know what to do with my curly hair. I don't know what products to use either. I'm clueless about my curls, help!

Comments

• TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    Hey girly. I have definitely felt what your feeling right now and my best advice is to research, research, research. Peruse boards and forums like this one and you will find tons of good info on how to take care of our curly hair and most of all how to start appreciating it and stop fighting it.

What I do: In shower I shampoo scalp mainly, rinse, deep condition under dryer for 30 minutes (this is done like once a week maybe 2x), rinse then spray a liquid leave in conditioner and apply a creamy leave in and gently comb through in small sections with my denman brush. My hair takes about 3 to 4 hours to thoroughly air dry. Then I break up my curls and I'm left with well defined curls that are shiny! Hope this helps
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • sarahsmilessarahsmiles Posts: 14Registered Users
    thank you :) Today I tried drying off my hair with a T-shirt instead of a towel (isn't that suppose to help?) Then I put some curling mousse in my hair. After that I actually tried doing the "plopping" thing everyone is talking about, I think it helped. Then I diffused my hair. The top layer of my curls were still frizzy, so I put the top layer up in a ponytail, and left the rest down. The problem I'm having is deciding what hair type I am and what products I should get for my hair.
  • Breezy864Breezy864 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have the same exact hair that you have!!!! I need help too!!
  • curlyqdude curlyqdude Posts: 8Registered Users
    I have weird curly hair. My hair is a little past my shoulders. It looks nice wet, but when it dries it gets poofy and frizzy. I always straighten my hair because I don't know what to do with my curly hair. I don't know what products to use either. I'm clueless about my curls, help!
    ok i have the same hair as YOU
  • nutterbutterflynutterbutterfly Posts: 137Registered Users
    from your picture, I'd place you as a wavy/loose curly.

just a heads up, I've heard it said "mousse was a great 80's product, so use it if you want big 80's hair" ...and it's totally true. I only use mousse when I want looser, less-defined, kind of messy looking hair.

about the frizz... if you straighten, the top layer is probably what you focus on. it's what people see. So, basically, it's probably pretty fried. I used to straighten my hair every other day, and when I "went curly" it took a while to coax the healthy, springy curls I wanted to come back. straightening your hair often WILL make the actual make-up of your hair straighter.

I'd recommend
    -straightening WAY less often. once a week TOPS. preferably once a month or less.
    -using a gentler shampoo, like baby shampoo or VitaminShampoo (which totally cleans your hair, but helps with the frizz)
    -conditioner, duh. can't go without it.
    -keep up the t-shirt drying
    -don't EVER let a brush touch your hair (unless it's straight). use a detangling comb instead, and only when wet.
    -try using gel. I really like Garnier curling spray-gel. it's light and not sticky, but I wouldn't actually spray it straight onto your hair (too messy), just spray some in your palm, then work it through your hair and scrunch a little from the bottom
    -let it airdry. sooo much better than blowdrying of any kind.
    -and if your hair is short, and you want to plop, do it for like 5-10 minutes and let airdry for the rest of the time.
    I am a 3a/b with normal-coarse hair that is medium-thick and fairly porous.

Currently using:
    ~VitaminShampoo (CG :mrgreen: )
    ~L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for medium to long hair that's curly/wavy
    ......wow that is a mouthful.
    ~Garnier Fructis curl-shaping spray gel
    *or*
    ~Pantene curl defining mousse
  • JessinessJessiness Posts: 64Registered Users
    For the poofiness and frizz, I think you should at least think about going CG. I used to have a lot of trouble with my hair poofing up and frizz, then I went CG and I noticed a BIG difference in poofiness and frizz. It virtually fixed all of the poof, and there's not nearly as much frizz (what's left isn't really noticeable =P). Laura Lee made a great guide for CG and did a much better job explaining it than I ever could, so I put the link to that below. (: Also check out Tiffany's site. That really helped me determine what products I should use.

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com
    2C/3A, fine, normal-high porosity, medium texture

Low Poo
    - Cristophe Beverly Hills Purely Natural Daily Shampoo
    Co-Wash- Suave Naturals Coconut (sometimes used as a leave-in)
    Condish- LVPNG
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, Garnier Sleek & Shine
    Gels- Aldi Shique Gel, LA Looks Sport,
    Enhancer- KCCC

• curlyqueen1225curlyqueen1225 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Ya well if you use tresemme flawless curls shampoo and conditioner and then use the tresemme shaping milk it really helps because when i started to use it i was like wow this really works so try it !!!!!
  • distraughtcurlydistraughtcurly Posts: 10Registered Users
    I found that Garnier Curl Construct Mousse works very well. It keeps your frizz under control and it doesn't harden your hair like regular gel. Hope this helps! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file