Best Hair Dye Brand for 3a hair?

DeniocDenioc Posts: 36Registered Users
Hey guys. So lately I've been really interested in dying my hair a different color. I have light brown hair and I thinking of this color: http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/image-files/largeredhaircolor2.jpg

But I want to find a brand that won't dry my hair out/damage it super bad. Are there any good store bought dyes that aren't really bad for curly hair?

Thanks!
Curls: 3a/3b

Comments

• morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I actually know the model in the photo :toothy8: but you can get close to that color. There are several brands but I personally recommend using "pro" hair color. My guide to hair color is here - http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbvtkg8_281dm9gvjfx. It's a Google document.

You can even custom blend a hair color to match what you want. The trick is to keep careful records. The developer for the hair color is the damaging part of it and it's not very expensive. I think I paid $6 for a quart bottle last time I bought it. You only use a few table spoons at a time, so it's not hideiously expensive to buy a bottle or two to see if you can get the results you want with a less damaging developer.
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    What about trying something temporary? This one is super easy and did not damage my hair at all.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=178718&catid=128495&trx=GFI-0-PLP&trxp1=128495&trxp2=178718&trxp3=1&trxp4=1&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-PLP

It washed out much quicker than it said. I don't remember exactly how long, maybe 3 weeks. That could be a bonus if you are looking to try something new. It wasn't good for me, b/c I wanted something permanent. I'm now using another L'Oreal that is permanent and lighter.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    One more thing...

If you do decide to go with a red, Framesi is the best brand for staying power. It is a professional line. I had mine done in the salon and the color did not budge.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I'm guessing at the color of her hair, but I'm pretty sure that she's going to need some bleaching action to get the same as the model. Most temporary hair colors are not what a colorist would call "high lift" colors, meaning that they do not lighten the hair very much. They just lay down some pigment on the outside of the hair shaft.

Think about elementary school and the old overhead transparencies. Temporary hair color is like putting a colored transparency up. If you put red over blue, you get purple on the screen. It's an additive process. She might get some red highlights out of it, but probably not the red-golden blonde color she's wanting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file