A gal for all seasons!

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
How do you figure out what colors look best for your makeup?

I've had my "colors" done and nobody agrees. One said winter, one summer, and one said either autumn or spring. Dept. store counters also have really conflicting suggestions - sometimes at the same counter! Am I warm or cool? I can't figure out from the color analysis books either. Do you choose your makeup by what color clothes you are wearing or some other way?

My SO said I'm a "gal for all seasons.":toothy7:
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I'm a winter. Would've been truly shocked and dubious if they'd said otherwise. My natural hair colour is almost black and skin is lighter than ivory in the dead of winter. Can't believe they're having such a tough time figuring it out for you.

AAR - The only place I tend to follow my colours in makeup is my lips. I have to use something with a blue undertone - corals, peaches and nudes make me look deathly. I wear red or purple's if there's any red tinge in my clothes (probably a throwback to not wearing pink and red together - lol) and a shade of pink or fuschia with everything else. For eyes, I pretty much use neutrals (grey or brown) or something to bring out either the blue or green in my eyes. I always do my eyes totally independent of what I'm wearing.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • DominoDomino Posts: 287Registered Users
    I'd like to see some pics :) I'm also the same...my hair is a warm dark auburn, I have neutral to yellow undertones to my skin, with blue eyes...and I look terrible in both yellow and pink :D Nice to see that I'm not the only one...
    :king: Priestess Brigit of the Moonlight Oracle in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :king:

Type: Mix of 1c/2c/3a , fine-ish medium, ii/iii, normal porosity
    Lenght: U-Shaped BSL
    Goal: Wavy and clumpy waist length hair
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm supposedly a spring. http://www.carolthompsoncosmetics.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Shelf/ASP/Hierarchy/0400.html I lost my swatches a very long time ago so I stay with neutrals for makeup or use those targeted to green eyes, & do my best to tell if an article of clothing looks good/bad on me.
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    FWIW, I read somewhere that the color of the veins on the inside of your wrist determine whether you are warm (green veins) or cool (blue). Read somewhere else that you should choose a lip color to closely match the _inside_ color of your lips.

My hair is blond-red, and eyes are blue-green. I think I'm a spring, but in my last professional makeover, the woman chose an autumn lip color (and neutral eye shadow). That was interesting because I usually use a pink or rose lip color.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it depends on what makeup professional you talk to. I am a definite cool (my veins are blue and I have pink undertones) but just about every makeup artist wants to put me in warm colors solely because my hair is red. They seem to discount that my eyes are blue with just a hint of green and that I am really pale. They just get stuck on the hair and go with coppery tones to blend with it. Unfortunately warm colors tend to look muddy on me. I finally got to one makeup artist who actually pointed out that I am a cool and showed me some better colors. I tend to use pinkish tones for my lips and usually some version of a purple eyeliner for eyes. Seems to work the best.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Buy a bunch of cheapo makeup, like Wet'n'Wild. Experiment with the different shades, and see what you like. Then buy better-quality versions of those colors.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, trying out cheapo makeup might work. I'm definitely not a winter, that much I have figured out. But its weird - the NARS counter at Lord & Taylor said I was a spring; the Prescriptives said I was an autumn, and Clinique was trying to decide between summer and spring. I had a lot of fun trying on different makeup but no conclusion yet.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file