LOVE my wet hair, HATE my dry hair

curlyinlacurlyinla Posts: 5Registered Users
Hey everyone! Do any of you have this problem too? My hair looks so pretty when it's wet, but the second it's dry, it turns into a frizzy poof! I have so much trouble with my hair, because it's not long enough to look good in a braid, too poofy and thick for a pony tail, too poofy to wear down, and too thick for the half up half down look. I've tried the messy bun, but it just looks weird. Any suggestions about my hair problem? Anyone know why wet hair looks so good, but dries terribly?

Comments

• Rebecca 1995Rebecca 1995 Posts: 118Registered Users
    what products do you use?
    Hair type: 2c - 3b!! o and its thick =]]

Currently Using:
    -John Frieda Daily Nourishment leave-in conditioning spray
    -Alberto VO5 Curvaceous Curls Styling Mousse
    -Living Proof No Frizz, Wave Shaping/Curl Defining Styling Cream (thick to coarse hair)
    I HEART CURLS <3
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to feel this way about my hair before I found this site. For me, it was because my hair needed more moisture. Makes sense, doesn't it? When it's fully wet, it's happy, when it's dry, not so happy.

So you might want to do a search here for products that provide moisture. Some I use or have used:

- [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balancing[/buylink] condish
    - Back to Basics Pomegranate condish
    - Aubrey Organics conditioners
    [For me it was Honeysuckle Rose that worked best from this line, although eventually my hair got too much moisture, or overconditioned, from this product. Can you imagine?]

Also, using a leave-in is vital for me. This keeps some of the moisture in the hair while it dries. For second day hair and beyond, I must add more leave-in, or I get flyaways. Some leave ins that I've liked:

- [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink]
    - Boots Essentials Curl Cream
    - Lustrasilk [from Sally's]
    - Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish
    [A condish used as a leave-in, in this case.]

All that said, some people have a similar problem, but it's because they need more hold when their hair dries. For others it's curl enhancement. For others it's all of that. Actually, my hair needs all of the above in some measure, but I've learned that it's moisture that it needs most.

HTH!
  • kayemmkay159kayemmkay159 Posts: 171Registered Users
    Yah i totally agree, my hair just gets frizzy after a while of being dry, but the moisture thing makes total sense when you think about it...
  • JessinessJessiness Posts: 64Registered Users
    Your hair looks great in your avatar, but I used to have the same problem before I started CG. Going CG has made all of the difference for me. CG stands for the curly girl method and is basically the process of eliminating silicones and sulfates from your haircare routine. Laure Lee wrote a great guide to it; http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

Like wild~hair said, moisture can be everything. Another thing that your hair might need is protein, depending on how damaged it is and the properties of your hair. I'm no expert on these things, so I would look around the general discussion board and read Tiffany's blog Live Curly, Live Free; http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/, especially the posts about porosity, elasticity and density. HTH!
    2C/3A, fine, normal-high porosity, medium texture

Low Poo
    - Cristophe Beverly Hills Purely Natural Daily Shampoo
    Co-Wash- Suave Naturals Coconut (sometimes used as a leave-in)
    Condish- LVPNG
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, Garnier Sleek & Shine
    Gels- Aldi Shique Gel, LA Looks Sport,
    Enhancer- KCCC

• curlyinlacurlyinla Posts: 5Registered Users
    Alright everyone! Thanks so much! That makes a ton of sense, once you think about it. I think I'm going to try some of those conditioners.

And thanks about my picture. Unfortunately, that was a rare good hair day during a trip to Israel. My hair doesn't always look like that.. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file