Pool Question

collegeboundcollegebound Registered Users Posts: 20
Part of my summer workout routine is swimming in a pool almost daily.

What should I do with my hair?

Before I went CG, I got it wet in the shower down at the pool, rinsed it before I left. And used a Chlorine Free Shampoo or something like that.

Comments

• Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Registered Users Posts: 1,467
    This is something I'd really like to know too. I want to join a gym with a pool.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Part of my summer workout routine is swimming in a pool almost daily.

What should I do with my hair?

Before I went CG, I got it wet in the shower down at the pool, rinsed it before I left. And used a Chlorine Free Shampoo or something like that.

I'm CG, and I swim just about every day. My hair is in great condition. I always wet it with fresh water before swimming, then I apply a little conditioner and put on a swim cap. After swimming, I CO-wash it. That's about it really.

One thing I have learned from years of swimming is that peroxide-based haircolor and chlorine are a deadly mix for hair. So, if you color your hair, I can't guarantee that you'll remain in good condition while swimming daily. I color my hair with henna these days, because I want to both swim and have healthy hair.
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Registered Users Posts: 1,467
    Good advice.
  • collegeboundcollegebound Registered Users Posts: 20
    I won't have to worry about the color thing. I don't do that.

I don't use a swim cap. I tried one once and I broke out in hives from it. I'm willing to try it again if I really need to.

Do you suggest that I use one?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I won't have to worry about the color thing. I don't do that.

I don't use a swim cap. I tried one once and I broke out in hives from it. I'm willing to try it again if I really need to.

Do you suggest that I use one?

Yes, I definitely think a swim cap reduces chlorine damage. Letting hair free-flow in chlorinated water will fry it eventually. They make caps in extra-large if you have a lot of hair, and they also make them in silicone, for those that are latex-allergic. They're difficult to find in stores, so I buy my ex-lg silicone caps online:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3620.htm
  • collegeboundcollegebound Registered Users Posts: 20
    Thanks.

I will definitely look into the swim caps. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file