how to store shampoo bars

ladycatladycat Posts: 56Registered Users
Hey I've jumped on that poo-bar bandwagon (and the handmade soap bandwagon too), and I was wondering how you store them. I am thinking about getting a couple of soap trays, but where do I put them? I've read not to leave them in the shower or on the sink, and also to keep in cool, dark areas. And there is also that whole bacteria thing...would storing them in plastic wrap promote bacterial growth? Thanks.
BC: 1/1/09
Start length: >appr. 5-1 inches

event.png

event.png

Comments

• storyofdanistoryofdani Posts: 5Registered Users
    I imagine that once they're dried out you can store them any way. It's when they're wet that they're breeding grounds for bacteria, thus the shower and sink aren't a good idea.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the whole reason I've never gotten into them is because all this seems just too much for me to worry about and deal with first thing in the morning, LOL! I've had one from Mehandi since last fall that I have yet to use.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    auntnett wrote: »
    I think the whole reason I've never gotten into them is because all this seems just too much for me to worry about and deal with first thing in the morning, LOL! I've had one from Mehandi since last fall that I have yet to use.

Don't open it! That's how I got started, LOL!

Actually, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond. In the kitchen section they have Plexiglas objects that have suction cups to hold them to the wall--keeps them out of the water. We have them in the showers. I also keep them on soap decks next to the sink. I cut the bars in 1/3 or so pieces and only put that in the shower. Have done this since Sept in two showers and have yet to have a problem.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladycatladycat Posts: 56Registered Users
    Ah! Thanks....I had gotten them and then read the "fine print" lol. They work wonderfully so I'll put up with it. ^^
    BC: 1/1/09
    Start length: >appr. 5-1 inches

event.png

event.png
    kathymack wrote: »

Don't open it! That's how I got started, LOL!

Actually, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond. In the kitchen section they have Plexiglas objects that have suction cups to hold them to the wall--keeps them out of the water. We have them in the showers. I also keep them on soap decks next to the sink. I cut the bars in 1/3 or so pieces and only put that in the shower. Have done this since Sept in two showers and have yet to have a problem.

Funny you should suggest that - I hadn't seen this yet, but picked up a shower organizer with a chrome wire soap holder on the bottom with suction cups at BB&B this weekend. Tried it last night, and it crashed down within about 10 minutes. Maybe I need to go with just the soap holder so it'll be more likely to stay up. I need something like that or it'll get too wet in my regular soap holder. Thanks for the idea.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Funny you should suggest that - I hadn't seen this yet, but picked up a shower organizer with a chrome wire soap holder on the bottom with suction cups at BB&B this weekend. Tried it last night, and it crashed down within about 10 minutes. Maybe I need to go with just the soap holder so it'll be more likely to stay up. I need something like that or it'll get too wet in my regular soap holder. Thanks for the idea.

I think what we have is actually to hold soap and sponges in the sink. Did you wet the suction cup before you put it on the wall? It helps. Also, the Plexiglas is light, so it stays up.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think what we have is actually to hold soap and sponges in the sink. Did you wet the suction cup before you put it on the wall? It helps. Also, the Plexiglas is light, so it stays up.

Yeah, cleaned well, made sure there was no oil or cleaner residue left, wet it, hung it, added various bottles, etc. and it promptly fell a little bit later. Scared the crap out of my dog, LOL. This was in a fiberglass shower. Maybe it'd work on tile. Need to try again, but I still think I'll get an individual holder for the 'poo bars anyway - Thanks.

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Yeah, cleaned well, made sure there was no oil or cleaner residue left, wet it, hung it, added various bottles, etc. and it promptly fell a little bit later. Scared the crap out of my dog, LOL. This was in a fiberglass shower. Maybe it'd work on tile. Need to try again, but I still think I'll get an individual holder for the 'poo bars anyway - Thanks.

My showers are both Plexiglas. If you can find a little one for soap bars with holes for drainage--that would be great. The one I got would hold two and they won't slip out.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    Someone told me once that if you wet the suction cup, and add a little soap to it, it will stay up better. I've never tried it but thought I'd pass that along. :p
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
    Thanks - I wet it but didn't use soap. I'll give it a try. I'd love to make that thing work so I can get that shower organized. The over-the-showerhead type doesn't work in that particular bathroom because the top of the fiberglass tub sticks out too far for it to slide back on the showerhead pipe enough to stay in place.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • NoShadesofGreyNoShadesofGrey Posts: 11Registered Users
    I've found that wiping the suction cup(s) and where you're going to suction it to the shower with a bit of rubbing alcohol, it helps suction better. I guess it probably cleans everything off that hinders suction.
    1c/2a / F/M / ii
    ~~~~
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works;
    and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte

They make these specifically for the shower too. I found both of mine in the shower caddy section of Wal-Mart. I use them for my kids shampoo/soap bars and they work great. I also have heard of the rubbing alcohol trick to get the suction to stay.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• thegreendivathegreendiva Posts: 20Registered Users
    I got mine from Lush and got a shampoo tin with it (not using the bar now as it has sulfates). The tin is great though.I just take mine in the shower with me and then shake of excess water and take it out of the bathroom when I am done. Then it goes back in the tin.

easy peasy :happy3:
    3a: Only using products not tested on animals or derived from animal ingredients...

Simple Low poo routine: Pure Nuff Stuff Hair bar and shea butter.
    Plus occasional Lush American Cream (despite small amount of SLS).

See my site for product reviews and other green things:

The Green Diva Look Good and Feel Great... The Green Way!
    Easy peasy for you maybe, LOL - too much trouble for me every time. Maybe if I was living in a dorm I could see it, but not in my own home. I want something that will stay right in the shower - not something I've got to remember to get every time.

Haven't been anywhere to look for a suction soapdish, but I've seen them - just a matter of getting there.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another idea is to keep the soap bar in a small mesh/netting drawstring bag that can be hung from the neck of the shower head or tub spigot. The netting will cause more lather if the soap is used while in the bag. Otherwise the soap can easily be taken out for use and put back in to air out.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
    That's a good idea - I already have a little bag that a natural body bar originally came in. That will probably work well, at least until I ever remember to look for an actual holder - Thanks! I'm sure I can find somewhere to hook it so that'll it stay handy but dry.

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file