Got the Mirena ...

cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
TO ALL OF YOU WITH MIRENA EXPERIENCE: I got the Mirena IUC on April 9, almost two weeks ago. Insertion was not bad, except for the big *cramp* when it was in place. Afterwards, I got really, really lightheaded and crampy, felt like I was going to pass out, but felt okay after laying down for a couple hours.
I've had pretty bad cramps ever since, bad enough that I have to take about 4 Midol a day to take the edge off. And a few days after insertion, I'd say about April 13 or 14, I started my period, I guess, even though I'd spotted every day. Since then I've been bleeding steadily, not super heavy, but like the third day of my cycle would be. And it's not slowing down.
Okay, I got this device so that someday I could have sex. Now I'm not sure I'll ever stop bleeding!
Is this what is considered 'spotting' like the brochure says? Cause this is a heck of a lot more than I call spotting.
Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
- Eagles

age.png

age.png

Comments

• Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I got the Mirena on March 26th and I'm going through the same things you are.

My insertion was VERY painful, and I too felt like I was going to pass out. I was sweating and thought I might puke at one point. My doctor said that was a common reaction. I had cramps for the first few days, but then I was fine.

Then I starting spotting, but nothing major. Now I'm just like you are, it's like it's day 3 or 4 of my period, but this has been going on for days and it's getting heavier. I'm not sure if this is my period or what is considered spotting. I would not consider this spotting.

My friend is a nurse who used to work at Burlex, the company that makes the Mirena. She is the person you would call if you had a problem, so she knows everything there is to know about it. I'm waiting for her to call me back so I can ask her about this bleeding because it's getting on my nerves. I feel like I've been either spotting or bleeding almost every day since I got this thing.

My skin has been a mess too. I haven't had zits this bad in years. I think there has to be a connection.

I'll post after I talk to my friend.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    CC, if you do a search on the non-hair board, you will find a couple threads that answer your questions. What you're experiencing is normal. The "spotting," which is more like a light period can last 6 months or more. (6 months is average.) The cramping also lasts a while, although it will get to the point in a couple of months where you only get it during your period.

If the spotting is bad and you really can't stand it, you can take BC pills for a few months, until the hormones from the IUD kick in. You would just want to ask your OB/GYN about that.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    After insertion, I definitely wore a pad for the first 2 weeks and then had lighter spotting (requiring a liner) with milder cramping about the 5 week mark. I thought that was my period, but no, I had a real period at around 7 weeks complete with PMS and regular bleeding.

My Gyne did warn me that there can be quite a bit of bleeding during the adjustment and she has patients calling her to have it taken out. She counsels everyone to give it 3 months before deciding - unless you are in serious pain.

• cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    Thanks. I spent all morning reading the mirena posts and frankly, they scared the poop out of me! I really wasn't gung ho about this type of BC, but at my age (38 1/2), I'm running out of options short of tubal ligation.
    I think insertion was easier for me because I've had 4 vaginal deliveries. I can't imagine getting it if you haven't had kids! My pain threshold is high (2 babies born w/o drugs) and the cramping I'm going through now is starting to really get to me. If I have to deal with six months of bleeding, I don't know what I'll do!
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Why not have him do the ole snip?
    it's only fair, right?

:eye:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Keep vasectomy in mind if the IUD doesn't work out for you. My husband and I both LOVE the vasectomy! Love it. LOVE IT!
    Believe me, we've talked about the old snip! And he's completely willing. But the dr told me there is a six-month window after a vasectomy in which he's still fertile. And with our track record, we'd have #5! So I'm planning on just keeping it in until he's snipped and the wait period is up.
    I've heard recovery is really easy, but I know lots of guys who have had complications trying to do too much too soon. And with the job market the way it is (especially down here in the oilfield), he doesn't want to have to ask for time off for any reason.
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    My sister and her hubby decided to get him snipped a couple years ago. He went back in to get tested a few months later when the sperm were supposed to be gone, and he still had some. They tested again a little later, and that time the sample came out sperm-free the way it was supposed to. So yeah, you don't want to mess around with the window of fertility! My DH is willing to do it too, but we're not ready to make a permanent decision yet.

Does insurance usually cover vasectomies? We have a friend who looked into it, and it wasn't covered. That seems silly and cost-ineffective, because the insurance company would have to pay a lot more for another baby. I don't know if my brother-in-law's was covered by insurance; I'll ask my sis sometime if I think of it.
    ehLB.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My husband's vasectomy was covered by insurance, and he was sperm-free by the time he got tested at about 12 weeks. His recovery wasn't bad...he spent one day resting in bed with a bag of frozen peas and was fine after that.
    The incessant bleeding isn't the worst part. That would be the cramps-the kind u get when u first start that make your legs feel like jelly. Had em for two weeks now and everyday i have to take 4 ibuprofen just to touch them, and 2 every few hours to keep them under control. Im so tired all the time, probably anemic. Looks like i've got a summer full of blood loss ahead of me ...
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    cajuncurls - I spoke to my friend and unfortunately the bleeding is normal. She said some women bleed for up to six months. She said even very heavy bleeding can be normal, but it also could mean that the IUD isn't in the right place so it should be checked out.

My bleeding has stopped for the moment so maybe that was my period. I still have some light spotting, but nothing major. Hopefully yours will let up soon.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
    cajuncurls wrote: »
    The incessant bleeding isn't the worst part. That would be the cramps-the kind u get when u first start that make your legs feel like jelly. Had em for two weeks now and everyday i have to take 4 ibuprofen just to touch them, and 2 every few hours to keep them under control. Im so tired all the time, probably anemic. Looks like i've got a summer full of blood loss ahead of me ...
    The constant cramping gets better fairly quickly, but you'll probably have similar cramping once a month for a while. I can't remember how long that went on. A year maybe?

Seriously, if
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    cajuncurls wrote: »
    The constant cramping gets better fairly quickly, but you'll probably have similar cramping once a month for a while. I can't remember how long that went on. A year maybe?

Seriously, if you can't stand the bleeding, you can go on a BCP for a few months until the hormones in the IUD kick in. Talk to your doctor.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file