Just moved here from Maryland.
3c, thick & coarse
"Pain is weakness leaving your body."

"Personality may open doors, but
character keeps them open."

Comments

• natashamcknatashamck Registered Users Posts: 434
    Hi Honey...
    I'm in the "big rusty" :lol: Near LSU...
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • Taste of HoneyTaste of Honey Registered Users Posts: 32
    Hi Natashamck,

I'm not far from you, I'm out in Prairieville (Ascension Parish). Are you from Louisiana? Is there anything fun to do out here? It's just me and my husband, so I'd like to meet some people?
    3c, thick & coarse

I'm originally from the New Orleans area, and I'm still learning about different things to do in B.R. Every once in awhile there will be an event or a concert or something - but half of the time it’s not really publicized. I check out the advocate's online calendar, and brevents.org to find out about different little happenings in the area.

I don't do the whole club scene - so I really couldn't help you there... However there a few nice chill spots that sometimes have live jazz or something on the weekends.... There's Churchill's on Jefferson, and Sullivan's on College & Corporate for live music. There's also Tsunami which is downtown at the top of the Shaw center - they have killer sushi - but even if you're not into sushi, a lot of people go there just to chill.

Other than that - most people just do a movie or go out to eat (or go clubbing) I would imagine that living here is VERY different from living in Maryland, but after awhile the "big rusty" will start to grow on you LOL

P.S. I'll try to keep you posted if anything interesting comes up :D
    Thanks for all of the info natasha, I'll definitely be checking out these spots. :D
    3c, thick & coarse

• alisons79alisons79 Registered Users Posts: 680
    I live in Hammond and need someone to reccommend a salon/person who can cut curly hair without making me look like a freak! I am trying to grow my hair out but could use a trim and a newer style until it is long again. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks so much!
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
    I'd like to know of a good salon as well.
    3c, thick & coarse

I've never been to this salon... But I have a friend that's also natural (mostly 3c) She said that she went to a salon called Choices (in Baton Rouge) and that a guy named Eric "fixed" her home made Big Chop. She said that her hair was a million different lengths after she tried to cut it, but afther he cut it, it looked really good... and even though her hair is now shoulder length unstretched - it still has a great shape. I've been meaning to go check it out... but I'm not cutting my hair at all until 2007...

If you're looking to get your hair straightened - I know someone in New Orleans that can work a chi iron so good, you'll look like you just got a relaxer (if that's the look you're going for) She also cut my mom's hair and left it curly (3a/3b) It looks really pretty. Her name is Ashley and she has a bunch of clients who are natural - PM me for her info...
    Thanks Natasha!! I'll definitely try Choices when I'm ready for a trim. :D
    3c, thick & coarse

Cool 8)

Definitely let us know how everything turns out...

I've been going back and forth on cutting my hair... On one hand, I want to let it grow out, so that when I do get it cut its not so short that I don't know what to do with it... But on the other hand, I REALLY want to get rid of these last few strands of relaxed hair... (I'm just so impatient)

I might check out Choices for just a wash & condish and see what the stylists there think...
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    Nature's Crown off of Florida near Cortana and Airline does natural hair. Everything from relaxers to straw sets.

Also Panache on Corporate....it is the place to go, really. Pretty popular. Ramel presses my hair sometimes and he does an excellent job. It looks like it's relaxed, I've been told. I get my hair pressed whenever it's trim time.

Both work with hair of all types. Panache is very popular (and pricey!) so make an appointment on payday. :D

I am in the Bocage area, near the Whole Foods Market. Nice to meet fellow LA-ians. :)

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    curlyarca wrote:
    Nature's Crown off of Florida near Cortana and Airline does natural hair. Everything from relaxers to straw sets.

I made an appointment at Nature's Crown for a "consultation" in a few weeks... I'll let you guys know how it all goes... Hopefully it will go well, and I'll find my dream hairdresser that will give me my "diva" cut :D

If anyone's interested, here's the website:
    http://ebiz.hibernia.com/naturescrown
    Nice to meet you too Curlyarca.

Yes Natashamck, please keep us posted. :D
    3c, thick & coarse

Likewise, Taste of Honey. :)

I was just thinking about Nature's Crown the other day. I also found another salon that presses hair over off of Tom Drive. That one I do not recommend, though.

Dawn presses hair at Nature's Crown. I think she also does straw sets. My sister had a straw set done there, so I am thinking of going in for one.

I like Dawn's work, but I don't think I will be letting anyone else press my hair except me or Ramel, and I can't press my own hair. LOL

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

I haven't straigtened my hair since I went natural in 2002. I'm afraid that my curls won't be the same if I do. But I haven't really had the desire anyway, so it all worked out. :D
    3c, thick & coarse

I made an appointment at Nature's Crown for a "consultation" in a few weeks... I'll let you guys know how it all goes... Hopefully it will go well, and I'll find my dream hairdresser that will give me my "diva" cut :D

Well, no such luck... I went early to my previously scheduled appointment and NO ONE WAS THERE! ... I mean the lights were off and everything - which struck me as strange because what hair salon is closed on a Saturday morning??? :shock: Plus I'd made an appointment WELL in advance.....

I waited for like 30 minutes and then drove home disappointed :( (because I'm such a geek & get excited about simple things like getting my hair done) and mad :evil: (because I live by LSU & got up EARLY to drive all the way to Florida & Wooddale for nothing)

Anyway... I called and left a message, but I still haven't gotten a call back... I don't think I'll be attempting to make an appointment with them in the future. I think I'll stick to the girl I go to in New Orleans for trims for now.... I just hate having to drive down there when I don't have too...
    WOW!! I'm so sorry to hear that natashamck. I decided just to trim my hair myself, it came out pretty good. So I think I'll be sticking with this method for a while. :D
    3c, thick & coarse

WOW!! I'm so sorry to hear that natashamck. I decided just to trim my hair myself, it came out pretty good. So I think I'll be sticking with this method for a while. :D

I wish that I could be brave enough to try trimming my hair again... Last year I attempted to do my own "B.C." which turned out to be a H.C. (half chop LOL) because I started cutting before I realized that I didn't have as much natural hair as I thought... :shock:

When I finally went to a hairdresser to have her even everything out - it became painfully obvious that I had butchered my hair...

So now, I'm hesitant to try cutting my hair again... even for a trim... But when I do get a trim (professionally) I'll post an update :D
    They weren't OPEN?!

That's pretty unprofessional. Now I'm glad I didn't go.

New Orleans is far to drive. We need more options in BR. :(

• phdivaphdiva Registered Users Posts: 1
    I was considering going to Nature's Crown so they could perhaps tighten up my very first homemade chop. My internet search for the phone number led me to this forum. I am so glad to know not to waste my time if they were that unprofessional.

There is another salon - MoHair - I heard offers styling for natural hair. They actually have a menu of options on their website. It is also pricey, but it is near LSU, Natashamck, on Gardere Ln. I might try there.
    phdiva,

I used to live right around the corner from MoHair. As a matter of fact, right after Katrina one of our 7 extended house guests worked there for a few weeks. The impression that I got from him talking about the folks at MoHair was that the stylists there were pretty good... but I got the impression that most of the clients there were permies.

During that time my mom got a cut from Joan at MoHair and didn't like it. I loved her cut (plus it was $free.99!) I think she's just so used to her same old cut from her same old hairdresser in New Orleans - plus she didn't really speak up as to what she really wanted.

One of my guyfriends that's a barber recommended Joan to me - I think that may be the next hairdresser that I try out up here (especially since the girl that I've been going to in New Orleans just went up $12...)

btw - here's the Mohair website for any who are interested:
    http://www.mohaironline.com/
    Let me know how Joan works out. Maybe I'll try her for my next trim.
    3c, thick & coarse

I didn't go to MoHair like I initially planned... I have a friend who's also natural and she had a blow-dry, flatiron, & trim from MoHair and she felt that they used too much heat on her hair. She said that her hair smelled "burnt" for about a week after getting it done. Now this is coming from someone who goes through the process of blow-drying & flat ironing her hair at least once if not twice a week (which in my opition is too much heat) So her saying that made me change my mind about going.
    So instead of MoHair I went to David Bechet @ Salon Studios

And I have to say - I've fallen in love with my hair all over again!:)

The same friend that told me about her MoHair experience told me about this guy that does hair in Hammond Aire Plaza. She was over there getting her toes done and had the opportunity to watch him flat iron a head of natural hair. He's loosely associated with farouk systems - the company that manufactures CHI and deep brilliance.

I had an awesome experience with David doing my hair this weekend. He has a great rapport with his clients, and will answer any questions that you might have. I expressed my concerns about my hair's shape and color. He layered my hair and explained to me what it will look like when I wear it curly again. We also talked about color options.

When it was all said and done - my hair was gorgeous... moisturized, full of body, bounce, and shine. Plus it feels silky smooth.

I will definitely go back to him for regular upkeep - and I would recommend him to anyone. His prices are reasonable ($50 for a wash, deep condition, style and trim) He does great work, and he just seems like genuine good people...

Check out the pictures at my fotki...
    Natasha, your hair looks great!! Very healthy!! Thanks for sharing!!
    3c, thick & coarse

• sarahb1396sarahb1396 Registered Users Posts: 169
    I'm Sarah and I live in Baton Rouge too!
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file