Beco v. Ergo v. Pikkolo

goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been doing (too) much research online about a SSC and I've narrowed it down to one of these three.... originally I was going to go with the Ergo, but then I started leaning towards the Beco Butterfly 2, now I've thrown the Pikkolo into the mix.

Both hubby and I would use the carrier. I'm small, 5'3" about 100lbs pre-preg, but very narrow (a 32band is too big, size 0 pants sometimes fall off). Hubby is more or less average, 5'10"-5'11", around 170-180lbs, wears S or M shirts.

Since I'm so narrow I was leaning away from the Ergo (also I like that the Beco was higher in the back). But now I've found the Pikkolo, which does all sorts of carries including front facing out! We're both totally new to baby wearing so I'm not sure if the Pikkolo would be a tough learning curve, I like that you can put the babe into the Beco seat before strapping them on the back.

So talk to me about which you have -- what you love about it.. and what you don't like as much about it. I'm searching for somewhere/someone local that has some carriers that I can try out, but so far no success. I am on TBW, so trying to find a meet-up there too.

Which would you recommend for us?
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Ergo might be too big for you, given how slim you are, even though you're in the height range. I tried one on and absolutely swam in it. I'm thinking the Pikkolo might be best because of the unstructured waist, as I don't know if you'll be able to get the Beco small enough either. It won't distribute quite as much weight to your hips without a structured waist but it looks like they sell the "support belt" you could always get if you end up needing it.

You'll get the hang of back carrying. Especially since you both plan to do it, you can help each other. With a little practice, you'll be a pro and won't want to waste time strapping the baby into the Beco. I've posted this before, but here's a video (from last summer) of how I do a back carry in my SSC. The only real difference in how I do it now is that since he's bigger, I usually hold the sleep hood up as I stand up to make sure his upper body doesn't flop out, then give a few bounces before letting go of the hood.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I have a Piccolo and I really like it. I was attracted to the idea of doing different carries since my son loved being carried out-facing (DH carried him that way in the Bjorn). But as it turned out, my daughter likes to be mommy-facing (or boob-facing, really) and that's really the only way I carry her. I don't use it much anymore since DD likes the stroller now, but you've reminded me that I'd like to pop her onto my back to at least give it a try.

The Piccolo is comfortable and nicely adjustable. I don't think DH has ever used it, but it would definitely fit him also.

I'm 5ft, 110 lbs and petite frame and the Ergo didn't fit me right - I felt like I was being attacked by the straps. The Beco is nice also - I tried it in the store but ended up picking the Piccolo.

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I'm small and I love the Ergo, although I don't have another SSC to compare it with. I read that the Beco is not as good for smaller women as the Ergo is.

I will also tell you that Ergo has amazing customer service. My husband stepped on mine and broke a buckle. They answered my email the same day and promptly sent me a brand new carrier.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote: »
    I read that the Beco is not as good for smaller women as the Ergo is.

hmm everything I've read online contradicts that.. they all say the Beco is great for smaller (more narrow) women; that's why I started leaning towards it.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I also wanted to suggest waiting until you have the baby to make the final decision if you can. When you're pregnant its hard to really predict what will be comfortable when you aren't. I was lucky to find a local store that sold all the carriers we're discussing here, and so I took my baby at 2 months old (I used a sling until then) to try them all out. She definitely preferred the Piccolo.

I also wanted to suggest waiting until you have the baby to make the final decision if you can. When you're pregnant its hard to really predict what will be comfortable when you aren't. I was lucky to find a local store that sold all the carriers we're discussing here, and so I took my baby at 2 months old (I used a sling until then) to try them all out. She definitely preferred the Piccolo.

There's no where in the state (or anywhere near us that sells the Piccolo) and only one place over four hours away that sells the Beco, and one place over a hour away that sells the Ergo -- or I would totally go try them on. We're also planning to register for the carrier, and hopefully receive it as a gift from a family member.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    goldy wrote: »
    iris427 wrote: »
    I read that the Beco is not as good for smaller women as the Ergo is.

hmm everything I've read online contradicts that.. they all say the Beco is great for smaller (more narrow) women; that's why I started leaning towards it.

Really? Well if you get one, let me know how you like it! Maybe I should get one and try it out :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Thanks to this thread, I ordered the Ergo. Not exactly sure why picked that one.

It came this afternoon and I like it so far. Hopefully I will be able to try it out more tomorrow.

Thank you. icon7.gif
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I really like it, but don't recommend it if you are on the smaller side. I am 5'1, and need to lose weight, but I have the chest strap tightened all way. I don't know if I should return it and try one of the other ones or not. I will probably experiment a little bit more. My guess is I should return it, but I doubt I will.

Pixie, if you read this, thanks for the video. That little flip you do is great for getting Meredith on my back, so much easier than trying to scooch her around my back to the right spot. I never thought of doing it like that, but it works great. icon7.gif
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Out of the three, Ergo was the only one I liked, although I'm not a SSC fan period. The beco is also nice but for some reason, the buckle on the arm straps was uncomfortable for me. It hit just the wrong spot under my arm, and I don't think it would be a problem for most. I did not like that you have to get the baby inthe carrier before putting it on, but I know for most people it's a positive. It just seems backwards to me. :lol: I'm not sure which of the two would be better for smaller people since I'm 5'7" and average for my height. The Beco is taller and will support a small baby's head. Ergo can't really be used for a baby under 3 months, at least not without an insert. The Beco is also prettier with all the fabrics it comes in, although if your husband will be using it, you may have to get a plain one anyway for him.

I briefly owned a pikkolo and did not like it. It doesn't have the waist support of the ergo and Beco, and the fabric on it was stiffer (so not as nice feeling IMO). The organic ergo especially is really nice and soft. Regarding facing out, I know everyone says their baby HAD to be facing out, but it really isn't good for them and less comfortable for the parent because of the way it distributes their weight. The way I see it, if you never start carrying your kid facing out, they won't insist on it because they won't know what they're missing. Also, by the time most babies want to look around, you can carry them on your back where they can look over your shoulder.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    We were given an organic Beco Butterfly 2 as a gift.... I haven't been able to play around with it much yet with the belly I'm carrying around, but we're excited.

I'll try to give a full report once the babe is here and we get to use it :)
    Poodlehead wrote:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file