New to CG - straight bits?

Hi! I'm a UK curly, I've been around a while but I've only just registered.

I've never straightened my hair much, as I like my natural hair, but for a while I've been using a curling iron on the very front and on top of the sides of my hair as they went frizzy otherwise. I've been co-washing only for a week which my hair seems to like:

photo0166d.jpg

But I haven't been able to do anything with the bits at the front. I'm thinking they're heat damaged. :-(

Is there any way I can rescue my hair? I don't want to keep using the curler as the problem will never go away!

photo0209a.jpg

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Welcome :)

It can take time for your hair to adjust. I know mine wasn't very curly for a good two or three weeks into CG.

That said, what products are you using now? That can have an effect on curl enhancement. If you suspect heat damage, try using some products with protein. That may help a little, but if it's too damaged you may have to wait it out. If it's only been a week, I wouldn't be really worried about it yet.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • lasaritalasarita Posts: 32Registered Users
    I have straight bits like that too, on the top and around the face. I'm on week 3, and I've noticed this week that they're curling more. I'd give it some more time and pin them back to let your nice curls shine!
    CG since 3/31/09... going curly is honoring God's creation! :angel10:
    2c /3a/3b, med. porosity, LOTS of fine hair
    low-poo: Giovanni TTT, Whispering Windz
    conditioners: suave / Vo5 naturals, Giovanni 50/50, GVPCB
    DT: Korres hair mask
    stylers: LASG, KY, Pink Boots!
    Wishlist for winter: CJ, KBB and a diffuser
  • Tori770Tori770 Posts: 13Registered Users
    My hair does that too. It took 3 weeks of CG before the parts around my faced started to curl more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knittyknitty Posts: 20Registered Users
    Keep going, the bits will eventually curl, maybe not as much as the rest of the hair....I finally have some curl to the top of my head and face area but it took atleast 4 weeks. I was straightening alot though.
    The Plan:
    Poo-less: Since March 09....If need be, I might use Burt's Bee baby shampoo/wash, but once every 2 weeks only
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut daily (use as leave-in too)
    Gel: Aveda Confixor or homemade FSG/aloe
    Other stuff: Aveda Curl Control, Jessicurl Confident Coils, and Jessicurl weekly deep conditioner treatment
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    i've been cg since jan and just yesterday some of those went away!
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    I find that the constant conditioning of CG is sometimes too much for my hair and can weigh it down, causing lanky, straight bits. My hair tends to be at its curliest/bounciest right after I do a shikakai bar/powder wash + plenty of conditioner.

Yeah, good idea not to use the curling iron on them as it will probably just flatten the cuticle even more.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • potnoodlegirlpotnoodlegirl Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies - it's good to know that they should eventually come back. I finish week 2 tomorrow and they're starting to curl from the roots to about half way down so I guess it's just a case of waiting and hoping!

At the moment I'm using Inecto Coconut Oil conditioner, and Lush Gel (Big Tease).
  • jwill112876jwill112876 Posts: 205Registered Users
    I actually pincurl my 'bangs' (only one on each side) nd it works very well!

HTH...

Jenn :)
    CG since April09
    2b ~ regularly
    2c ~ on a 'good' day
    Deva Products for Challenge
    co-wash ~ Suave coconut
    condish ~ BLCB
    style ~ JCRR & JCCC & BRHG
    clarify ~ BS rinse & ACV

:love7:Currently jones-ing for KCCC & KCKT:love7:

:wav:
  • CurlyMummyCurlyMummy Posts: 29Registered Users
    Oh my god you have totally the same thing as me! I too have straight bits in the front although now, after a few years, they're getting curlier. My theory was that with colouring a few years ago at tony and guy, they left the foil on too long at the front and it frazzled my hair. As a result I couldn't style the front bits they didn't curl, didn't straighten nicely - just frizzed. Anyway here's my hair before I had a good cut you can just about make out the straight bits h1-vi.png

You can see them at the front. After I got a shorter cut and those damaged areas grew out and got chopped off it seemed to solve the problem. Here's me after the cut on hols.

me-vi.jpg

You can see that shorter bit at the front, that was just totally straight before!

Your hair does look really nice by the way!
    UK curly going CG from 7th May 09.
    Think my hair is 2a/2b/3a

Currently using
    NECTO Pure Coconut Oil Moisture Infusing conditioner
    Waitrose Organic Moisturising conditioner with organic sweet almond and geranium oils
    Attempting to get on with homemade FSG so far so good

Avoiding sls, sles and parabens

victoriaanndesign.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file