TRESemme and CG method

jam6352jam6352 Posts: 99Registered Users
So I've inadvertently begun the CG method and even on my transitioning hair I've noticed a big difference in my curls! They are bigger, bouncier, and healthier. My only question is that I have about 4 TRESemme conditioners that I absolutely adore, but I know they have silicones in them. If these are my rich conditioners and the ONLY products that I use that contain silicones, will I still have to clarify with a sulfate shampoo? Or will a clarifying conditioner and ACV rinse do the trick? I'd really appreciate the input as I intend to continue using the CG method. :)
Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Yes, you'll need to shampoo. Depending on the silicones, you may be able to get away with a low-poo so you don't have to use harsh sulfates. Otherwise you'll get massive build-up. The silicones form a barrier that also prevent moisture from getting in (the opposite of what you're wanting, right?).

Personally, I'd switch conditioners. If you need moisture, there are some good, rich CG conditioners full of emollients that can do the trick.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • jam6352jam6352 Posts: 99Registered Users
    do you have any suggestions for rich conditioners? I know LVPNG was widely suggested...but I'm not sure yet.
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol

Moisturizers:

• loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    jam6352 wrote: »
    do you have any suggestions for rich conditioners? I know LVPNG was widely suggested...but I'm not sure yet.

Hi, if I may... I just gave up using Tres. products about a week ago. My replacement rinse out conditioner for now is from Sally's and its called GVP Conditioning Balm. I now use less of that than I did of the Tres. products, its very rich imo.
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    Hmm, I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and it has a cone that you can just co-wash out. It's very rick and creamy and very moisturising. Give it a go if you want to ;)
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Yes, GVP Conditioning Balm is awesome! Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and any of the Karen's Body Beautiful products (milk/nectar/super silky) are also great moisturizing conditioners.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • brown_eyedgal20brown_eyedgal20 Posts: 412Registered Users
    GVP at Sally's....might have to go and pick that up...
    2c/3aMiii

Loving JC and CK products...:) Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another vote for GVP Conditioning balm! That stuff is the bomb diggity! It's very thick and very moisturizing! LOVE it!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • Misses_JaiMisses_Jai Posts: 97Registered Users
    another vote for GVP Conditioning Balm... LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    common sense is not common.....
    CG since Jan 2009.....
    No hair color since 2007..i've stopped fighting the greys....they always win....
    3a/some 2c
    clarify - ACV rinse
    co-wash - NGTT calming conditioner or suave naturals tropical coconut
    rinse-out - sally's GVP cond. balm
    dt - sally's GVP k-pak or lustrasilk
    leave in & styling - KCKT, KCCC, HESMU mousse
    styling loves - DIFFUSING!!! & plopping
    do ya'll know of any rich conditioners for a broke college student's budget? :blob8:

Moisturizers:

• loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    do ya'll know of any rich conditioners for a broke college student's budget? :blob8:

GVP is really not all that expensive. I think I got it for 5 bucks. I really do use less of it than I used to use of the tres. so in the end I'm not spending as much as I used to.

I would go thru a bottle of Tres. in about 2 weeks. I think my bottle of GVP will last me 3 or 4 weeks.
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
  • CandiiMamiiCandiiMamii Posts: 118Registered Users
    Oops... I just stocked up on enough TRESemme for the next 6 months... is there anyway to use them in a CG-friendly way?
    I'm pretty sure that's a negatory lol. It's literally LOADED with the worst cones. But, when I used it my hair felt good...for awhile. It just depends on what your hair wants and needs. Try it out and if you experience dryness try the CG method.

I bought the Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner and I LOVE it!!!!!! It only has one cone and its the bis-aminopropyl dimethicone one, and it's number 8 on the ingredient list out of 12. So I think it's not too bad. I'm pretty sure I can co-wash it out, but I like it.

Moisturizers:

• CandiiMamiiCandiiMamii Posts: 118Registered Users
    OK jam6352 I think I have found a different answer to my question...

first of all the tresemme isnt all that bad, I have 3 different kinds and only the 'flawless curls' has an excessive amount of cones (3 or 4) while the others only have dimethicone.

To counter this, I have been doing a light ACV rinse after I use my suave conditioner (I apply the conditioner, then spray the ACV on over it). Not only does the ACV eliminate the cones that were on my hair, but it is an excellent detangler!

It's only been a few days but so far I am noticing a HUGE difference in my hair. There is a DRASTIC difference in the condition of my hair when I use the ACV than there is when I don't use it so I think it's really helping me counter the cones.

HTH
    CandiiMamii: ACV rinses and Baking soda rinses do not remove cone buildup. It may remove buildup from other products like gels and oils but not silicones. Your hair may feel as if it does, but if your're dealing with the heavy cones in TRESemme conditioners it will soon render itself inefficient. I use ACV rinses and I thought they got rod of cone buildup, but it's basically an anti-fungal that gets rid of bacteria (why it's great for dry and oily scalp sufferers) and restore your hair's pH balance. After a while you'll notice the difference.

Everyone: I got the GVP Conditioning Balm and I must say...A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! MY hair felt like silk! I'm in love! I love the feel of the Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditoner as well. Out of all the products I use on my hair now, only one has a cone and it's the bis-aminopropyl dimethicone found in BL. I STILL want LVPNG, and I really want to try the Pantene Restorative Mask thingy. After taht I think my PJ days will be over :blob2:

Moisturizers:

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I really like Aussi Moist I don't know if it's "CG" because I don't read labels anymore but I don't use shampoo and this conditioner has never made my hair feel like it has build up on it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file