Seeking advice from henna heads

InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
Hello lovelies,

I am long time hair color user (abuser?) and would like to start using henna. I could use some tips on making this a gradual process. I have been reading for weeks on naturallycurly.com and hennaforhair.com and on information overload! The end color that I would like to achieve would be a medium auburn. My roots are medium brown with red highlights and around 30% gray.

I was just wondering what is the most gradual way to start? I have ordered some BAQ2 and some other hennas along with cassia from Mehandi. My concern later on would be the line of demarcation between the hair that was chemically colored and the roots that will just have been exposed to henna. I have looked and looked and LOOKED at so many photos. I have perused numerous henna recipe mixtures and have taken copious notes, but I seek your guidance. I see the dramatic differences in the before and after photos but really want this to be a gradual process. Can I start with just using henna glosses?

I have attached two photos of myself both inside and outside. I colored it a few weeks ago and of course expecting that color to fade soon. Forgive the dirty dishes in the sink. :-( I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance for your advice!
Mod CG since April of 2007.

Comments

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've never done a gloss, but I think that would be an ideal way for you to try different mixes and to gradually change your hue. I've read that some people do get quite a bit of color deposited even with glosses, so you may want to start with a minimal amount of henna or henna/cassia with alot of conditioner or yogurt, etc. I'm sorry I'm not much help since I have no experience with glosses, but I think I'm going to start doing them on my roots only (I only have a small amount of gray, and my roots are actually coming in a very deep red/brown, so they're getting too dark). I'm not sure how well the gloss will take on gray, though, but even if it's more temporary, it will give you a chance to play with your percentages a bit more. Have fun :)!
  • kema1vkema1v Posts: 107Registered Users
    I'd start with a henna gloss and just leave it on for 30 mins. There are different ways to do the henna gloss. I mix 1tbsp henna + 1tbsp katam in a little water and leave it to dye release for a few hours and then mix it into a cup of conditioner and apply. If I leave this mix on for a couple of hours then I get a lot of colour and it covers the greys.
    Auntnett has a different method and posted some detailed instructions recently, but I can't find the link now...
    I started doing the henna glosses over hair that had previously been coloured and it has all blended in fine. The previously dyed hair is redder than the top few inches but it's not too drastic!
    Hair type: 2c-M-ii with extra frizz
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of henna glosses and playing around with the color. I completed three test strands today with some henna samples and wow what a difference. Glad it wasn't test strands on my head! I wasn't looking for WOW but subtlety and like your ideas. Glad to know that henna vs. previously chemically colored hair line isn't too drastic. And thank you for sharing how much henna you used in your conditioner. Quite helpful.
    Ah I finally found the thread that was referenced above about glosses. Now I just gotta decide on a mixture. You ladies never let me down. :toothy7:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=71213
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kema1v wrote: »
    I'd start with a henna gloss and just leave it on for 30 mins. There are different ways to do the henna gloss. I mix 1tbsp henna + 1tbsp katam in a little water and leave it to dye release for a few hours and then mix it into a cup of conditioner and apply. If I leave this mix on for a couple of hours then I get a lot of colour and it covers the greys.
    Auntnett has a different method and posted some detailed instructions recently, but I can't find the link now...
    I started doing the henna glosses over hair that had previously been coloured and it has all blended in fine. The previously dyed hair is redder than the top few inches but it's not too drastic!

Here it is: www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=73494

If you're wanting to gradually get to auburn, indigo in the mix would probably come closer to the right shade than buxus/katam. Plus, I just haven't been able to tell buxus does anything, at least not in a gloss. I didn't get any until after I'd quit doing regular henna, so I've never tried it regular full-strength application with it.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Thanks Auntnett. Jotting all of this down in a spiral. I will try it next weekend and will update.
    Just an update. I did my first gloss two days ago and was extremely conservative with my henna mix. I used one cup conditioner and 1 tablespoon dye released henna (combo of BAQ2 and BAQ3) and left this on my shampooed, damp hair for 30 minutes. I had concerns because my hair is so porous but I didn't see much of a difference at all afterwards in color. This was perfectly fine with me though because it helped me figure out what to do next.

This morning I used the same mix recipe and kept it on my head for 45 minutes instead of 30. Now it is a subtle pretty shade of red that I expect to deepen a tad over the next few days. I wanted subtle and that is exactly what I got. The mixture only turned my gray roots a golden color so I will need to adjust the timing and possibly add a little more henna. Just glad I now have a starting point.

I wanted to mention that it was easy to rinse out and I have not noticed any loss of waves (I am a 2). My hair feels really good today and I can't help but run my fingers through it! I like the gloss method and will continue using henna. Thanks again for everyone's help!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Great, I'm glad it's working for you. It's a lot easier to rinse out than regular hennaing, which is just one more thing I like about it.

I wouldn't expect any curl loss from that minimal amount of henna. I didn't even have any when I used it full-strength, although I did add amla to the mix to be on the safe side.

You might see a little deepening of color of the next few days since you did use dye-released henna, but I really doubt it with the small amount used. I never saw much change even when I used traditional full strength dye-released henna all over.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file