New PSF Antibacterial Enzyme Gel for acne

LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
I saw this on the PSF site today and I'm interested. Everything I've used from their line has been great, so I have high hopes for this one as well. It isn't available until May 1, but it is already sold out. Anyone have any thoughts? I wonder how I would incorporate it into my current routine with BHA, Vit C and Retin-A (RCW routine). Here are the active ingredients:

• Lysozyme HCl - A naturally occurring muramidase enzyme that binds to the murein in the cell wall of acne-causing bacteria, causing the bacteria to expire.

• SYMPEPTIDE™ 380 (Myristoyl Hexapeptide-23) - An antibacterial host-defense peptide designed to attach to & act against several strains of bacteria, including Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes).

• B-Glucaderm™ (Beta Glucan) - Mushroom-derived polysaccharide effectively reduces skin irritation, boosts skin's natural immune response & provides oil-free hydration.

• Inositol - Antioxidant & DNA repair molecule. In a study published by the University of Maryland, Inositol was shown to protect human skin cells from the harmful effects of UV radiation. Inositol is a potent antioxidant that researchers have found to prevent reactive molecules from injuring DNA & turning cells cancerous.

http://www.psfskincare.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16270&cat=263&page=1

RCW, any thoughts?
2b
conditioner - AOHR
shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow...looks cool. I'd try it if I was still breaking out. $38 an ounce is expensive for a twice-a-day product, but I use their DMAE twice-a-day which is $34 for 1.25 ounce, so if something works, then it's worth it. Let us know what you think if you try it.

You may want to ask them what the pH of the product is, so you know if you have any wait times before using other products.
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
    I sent PSF an e-mail asking about the pH and how they recommend using it. I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    They got back to me really quickly! Here is the reply:

The Antibacterial EnzymeGel has a pH of 5.5. But the enzyme & host-defense peptides remain stable in a pH range of 4.0-8.0. So you will have a lot of flexibility when using it with other products. If you are using it for severe, cystic acne, then I would advise using it twice daily. But if you are using it for mild to moderate acne, or as a prophylactic product, then using it once daily should suffice. I would work it into your routine like this:
    1. Gentle Cleansing Castile (AM/PM)
    2. BHA 5% (AM)
    3. Vitamin C (AM)
    4. Retin-A (PM)
    5. Antibacterial Enzyme Gel (AM or PM or AM/PM)
    6. Balancing Oil (AM/PM)

When combining products of different pH, you always want to apply the lower pH products first, and then layer subsequent products of a higher pH in a similar fashion, so the products gradually bring your skin back up to its natural pH which is around 5.5. This also helps to reduce the chance that you will take a product too far out of it's intended pH range, and
    maintain the efficacy & stability of each product's active ingredients. Just another note, the Antibacterial Enzyme Gel is not available to the general public until May 1, 2009. It is on the website now only available for pre-order for day spas & dermatologists, but we are making samples available now for our retail customers. Thanks again for your inquiry & for your continued patronage - we appreciate it very much!

So, RCW, how long would you think I would need to wait after applying the Vit C in the AM or the Retin-A in the PM before I applied this and how long after I applied it before I could apply my moisturizer? I think I would only need to use it once a day. Thanks!
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks for posting lilywaves!! i'm not really breaking out like i used to since i switched foundations but it seems like a good preventative product. i might order some the next time i need more products from them. honestly i'm not sure if the vitamin c is really making a big difference for me so i might start using that instead. thanks!!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    LilyWaves wrote: »
    They got back to me really quickly! Here is the reply:

The Antibacterial EnzymeGel has a pH of 5.5. But the enzyme & host-defense peptides remain stable in a pH range of 4.0-8.0. So you will have a lot of flexibility when using it with other products. If you are using it for severe, cystic acne, then I would advise using it twice daily. But if you are using it for mild to moderate acne, or as a prophylactic product, then using it once daily should suffice. I would work it into your routine like this:
    1. Gentle Cleansing Castile (AM/PM)
    2. BHA 5% (AM)
    3. Vitamin C (AM)
    4. Retin-A (PM)
    5. Antibacterial Enzyme Gel (AM or PM or AM/PM)
    6. Balancing Oil (AM/PM)

When combining products of different pH, you always want to apply the lower pH products first, and then layer subsequent products of a higher pH in a similar fashion, so the products gradually bring your skin back up to its natural pH which is around 5.5. This also helps to reduce the chance that you will take a product too far out of it's intended pH range, and
    maintain the efficacy & stability of each product's active ingredients. Just another note, the Antibacterial Enzyme Gel is not available to the general public until May 1, 2009. It is on the website now only available for pre-order for day spas & dermatologists, but we are making samples available now for our retail customers. Thanks again for your inquiry & for your continued patronage - we appreciate it very much!

So, RCW, how long would you think I would need to wait after applying the Vit C in the AM or the Retin-A in the PM before I applied this and how long after I applied it before I could apply my moisturizer? I think I would only need to use it once a day. Thanks!

I would still wait 30 minutes after the Vit C, because the 5.5 pH of the Enzyme Gel would negate the Vit C too quickly. Vit C needs to be in the 1.5-3.0 range.

I just received an order from PSF today and, woo hoo, they included a sample of the Enzyme gel. I constantly fight an area of my chin that likes to break out, so I'm interested to see if this product helps.
    I constantly fight an area of my chin that likes to break out, so I'm interested to see if this product helps.

please give us an update after you've used it awhile.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works for you. Maybe I'll try it if it works. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    I constantly fight an area of my chin that likes to break out, so I'm interested to see if this product helps.

please give us an update after you've used it awhile.

The sample is really tiny...probably only a few days worth. I'll give it a go though and report back.
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    I also received a sample and I'm super excited to try it. I want to get pregnant this fall and I will have to give up my regimen of retin-a and BCPs.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    I've been using this product for about a week now. I don't think it does anything...it hasn't done a thing for the small area of my chin that breaks out regularly. Also, it's difficult to use twice a day, because it "pills" when you apply other products or makeup over it, so you can really only use it at night. I'm glad I got a free sample, because it sure sounds good...but I won't be purchasing it in full-size.
    That's too bad! I wonder if it's one of those treatments that will take several weeks before you notice any results. My face has been really clear using the products mentioned in my fist post until about 3 weeks ago. I don't know if its the sudden change in weather, but I've been getting a lot of small breakouts (fortunately no cystic bumps) and these strange patches of red, flaky skin with small bumps on my cheeks (where I've always had smooth, clear skin before). It's really frustrating to the point where I've tried using BP again even though I thought I was free of the stuff. Slightly off topic from the new gel, but it has made me desperate to try anything to get my face back to normal.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
  • scoles222scoles222 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Has anyone been using this for some time that can give us an update? I have been using 2 samples of it that I got with a big order, but I'm just using it on my troubled areas where I usually break out. I don't notice it "pilling up" at all, my other products go on just fine over top of it & so does my MMU. Maybe you used too much? I noticed that when you rub it in, it sort of "melts", so a little bit seems to go a long way. Anyway, I was just looking for an update. I don't think this gel is a spot treatment, but more of a preventative treatment. Am I right? My skin actually has been pretty clear the past couple weeks(knock on wood!) but I'm not sure what to attribute it to...
    scoles222 wrote: »
    Has anyone been using this for some time that can give us an update? I have been using 2 samples of it that I got with a big order, but I'm just using it on my troubled areas where I usually break out. I don't notice it "pilling up" at all, my other products go on just fine over top of it & so does my MMU. Maybe you used too much? I noticed that when you rub it in, it sort of "melts", so a little bit seems to go a long way. Anyway, I was just looking for an update. I don't think this gel is a spot treatment, but more of a preventative treatment. Am I right? My skin actually has been pretty clear the past couple weeks(knock on wood!) but I'm not sure what to attribute it to...

i got a sample when i bought some salicylic acid. i'll report back after i use it up but i'm also using 5% salicylic acid and bpo during t he day now too so i don't know if the results will be from the enzyme.
    Luvmylocs: how are you liking the 5% BHA from PSF? Is it really strong? Did you use the 2% first, or just jump right into the 5%? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking I might upgrade, but I didn't know how much stonger the 5% is. I'm getting to the last dollop of this enzyme gel sample. I'm kind of itching to try a full size. I have a $15 gift certificate from them for answering a survey. Maybe I should use it? It would almost make the enzyme gel half price! LOL! Don't you love how I justify things? Hee-hee!
    scoles222 wrote: »
    Luvmylocs: how are you liking the 5% BHA from PSF? Is it really strong? Did you use the 2% first, or just jump right into the 5%? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking I might upgrade, but I didn't know how much stonger the 5% is. I'm getting to the last dollop of this enzyme gel sample. I'm kind of itching to try a full size. I have a $15 gift certificate from them for answering a survey. Maybe I should use it? It would almost make the enzyme gel half price! LOL! Don't you love how I justify things? Hee-hee!

i like the 5%. i used 2% before but i can feel a difference with the 5%. i also use it with bpo and i've been doing lactic acid peels twice a weeks so i can't attribute my improved skin to just one thing. i do like the 5% though, i'm in a hot humid climate so i need a heavy hitter.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I've used both, and the only time the 5% becomes too much is if I keep doing it twice a day for a long period of time. I find I have to back off. I kind of like having both to alternate.
    I'm liking the gel. It may not be doing anything, but I've been using it at night and I like the way my face feels the morning after.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Thanks so much! I went ahead and ordered the enzyme gel & also got the 5% BHA and a couple lip balms. I like the idea of alternating the 2 and 5% BHA. Thanks for the idea! I'll report back once I give the 5% a go! :D
    Scoles222, let us know how you like the enzyme gel after a couple of weeks. I've been holding out for another big sale since I really didn't need anything during the mother's day one.

Re: the BHA, I can't really tell a difference when I use it and when I don't (I'm on my 3rd bottle). I like the idea of it and what it is supposed to do, so for that reason I continue to use it. I probably won't buy it again because having to wait 30 min. to apply anything after in the morning is too long for me.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    Thanks Lily. I will update everyone. I'm not too worried about the wait time after the BHA. I don't do the whole waiting 30 minutes thing between products. I'm sure it's ideal, but I'm just not that disciplined! LOL! Besides, I remember reading an article in a magazine that this dermatologist wrote about salicylic acid. He said that BHA once applied cannot be removed or washed off. That it continues to be released deeper into the dermis. I don't remember the details, but it lead me to believe that applying other products on top wouldn't alter its effectiveness? At least that's what I got out of it...HTH!
    ~Samantha
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    bumping...any updates on the enzyme gel?
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    I got a full-size of the enzyme gel a few months back (free with a purchase of something else), so I was able to give it a good try. It still does nothing.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    good to know....too bad though, it sounded good.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file