ACV Problem

GillsGills Posts: 77Registered Users
Hi all!

I tried an ACV rinse for the first time today. I put about 4T in a 13 oz bottle, filled it with warm water, and poured it thoroughly through my hair after my co-wash. I left it on for a minute or two, rinsed out thoroughly, then continued with my usual routine (products in my signature). I did everything else more or less the same, including using about the same amounts of products I usually use.

When I had the ACV rinse in, my hair felt amazing - it was so smooth, I could actually detangle with just the ACV and no conditioner in! Needless to say, I was really excited. After it dried, though, I realized that my hair was doing weird things - a huge amount of flyaways, and limited curl definition, especially in the canopy. I've been partial CG for about two weeks now (a-cone), and fully CG (no a-cone) since my sulfate wash (to wash out the a-cone buildup =P) on Tuesday.

So what do you think? Am I doing something wrong, or does my hair simply not care for ACV?

Thank you very much in advance!
Hair type: 3a, medium porosity (??), medium texture
Final sulfate wash: April 14, 2009
Co-wash: Suave Pomegranate
Conditioner: GVPCB, AOHR, Garnier Triple Nutrition
Products: Experimenting with KCKT and KCCC

My hair loves:
Olive oil
LVPNG
...still trying to figure out what else!

My hair hates:
ACV
Biotera Curl Creme (?)
A-cone

Comments

• EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    I notice that whenever I do acv there is no good definition, so I do it when I wont be seeing anyone importants.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    You might have used too much. Try only one or two tabelspoons and see how that goes.

Was your hair weird before using the ACV? Sulfates take time to recover from. It always messes up my hair for at least a week.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • GillsGills Posts: 77Registered Users
    First of all, thank you both very much for your responses!

Manya994: If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious why you do the rinse despite limited curl definition. Do you get other benefits that last through other washes?

Curlyjenn10: My hair has been... confusing, but has been surprisingly good for the most part. This has been my first week of CG without a-cone buildup, and I'd say it's been going pretty well, aside from the failed ACV rinse. But generally, great curl definition and limited frizz. My canopy isn't nearly as defined as my underlayers, but I'm assuming that will get better as my hair recovers more.

I'll definitely try out the rinse with a lower ACV concentration. Thanks for the suggestion!

My hair loves:
    Olive oil
    LVPNG

My hair hates:
    ACV
    Biotera Curl Creme (?)
    A-cone
  • sweetsweet Posts: 28Registered Users
    funny..i did my very first acv rinse today too! my hair is super soft but pretty frizzy.
    i think you can try doing it in cold water because it helps with the cuticle closing.

also, dont try your lower concentration acv rinse immediately because you're only supposed to do the acv rinses like once a month.

(please feel free to correct me on the above points as im a total newbie)
    Take my advice with many grains of salt because I'm a newbie!
    CG since 3/26/09
    Occasional Lo-poo: Trader Joe's Refresh | Co-wash: Suave Coconut | Rinse-out/LI: GVP CB | Gel: HESMU DT: Coconut Oil
  • GillsGills Posts: 77Registered Users
    Sweet: Thanks for the tip! I've pretty much decided not to try the lower-concentration ACV rinse at all, because even after another wash my hair is still awful and frizzy =( I'll just stick with the basics for now, and add ACV to the list of things that I might try in the future, when my hair's in better shape.

Good luck with everything! Being a newbie is hard, but I'm already getting the feeling that time and patience will lead to great rewards.

My hair loves:
    Olive oil
    LVPNG

My hair hates:
    ACV
    Biotera Curl Creme (?)
    A-cone
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    sorry, the top post I was kinda in a hurry. so acv makes my hair soft and helps my scalp. it just make clumping not happen for a day.
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    This seems pretty normal to me. ACV does make hair very soft and smooths the cuticle. Because of this, I normally find that my curls become lanky and my hair doesn't dry properly after using it. So when I do use it, it's normally a day when I'm just going to tie my hair back anyway.

I find it works best after a treatment with baking soda, since following it with ACV balances the hair's PH and doesn't leave it over-conditioned. Using conditioner then ACV will probably result in over-conditioning.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file