Scalp vs body sugar scrubs

lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
Not too long I bought bain de terre's sugar & fig scalp massage scrub from Ulta.

It's not cheap, even with a coupon, so I've considered making my own.

I knew there was a Curly Girl recipe in the book, & after a search I see it & variations have been posted on this forum. Thanks to everyone for those!

So, it can or should be mixed with conditioner. And raw sugar should be used instead of brown sugar.

I guess if I use a conditioner with plenty of botanical oils & extracts, it might come close to replacing such from bain de terre.

I refuse to buy all the ingredients, find storage space for them & try to figure out the measurements of each ingredient. That trial & error would be costly & time-consuming.

Unless someone knows how to do this without me being the guinea pig?

And here's something else; the box states this can also be used on the body.

:idea1: So, can those that are made for the body also be used on the scalp?

If you compare ingredients of shampoo, body wash & hand wash, you'll see how similar they are. But this doesn't apply to conditioner & body lotion, unless you use one from a health food store.

~~~

In case anyone wants to know, the ingredients for the bain de terre sugar & fig scalp massage scrub are as follows:

BUTYLENE GLYCOL, SUCROSE, GLYCERIN, PEG-60 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, FICUS CARICA (FIG) EXTRACT, PPG-1 TRIDECETH-6, POLYQUATERNIUM-37, LYCIUM BARBARUM FRUIT EXTRACT, MAGNOLIA ACUMINATA BARK EXTRACT, RIBEST NIGRUM (BLACK CURRANT) FRUIT EXTRACT, ZIZYPHYS JUJUBA FRUIT EXTRACT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, WATER/AQUA/EAU, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LIMONE, FRAGRANCE/PARFUM, CARAMEL, BLUE 1 (CI 42090), RED 40 (CI 16035).

Comments

• morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Ok, so let's analyse the ingredients....

BUTYLENE GLYCOL - solvent or "thinner"

SUCROSE - sugar

GLYCERIN - we all know what that is

PEG-60 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL - castor oil

FICUS CARICA (FIG) EXTRACT - that tells you what it is

PPG-1 TRIDECETH-6 - another variant on propylene glycol - this time it's a surfactant

POLYQUATERNIUM-37 - I'm not finding an existing listing for this, but most chemicals in this family have to do with controling static build up, forming barrier films, or bonding to hair.

LYCIUM BARBARUM FRUIT EXTRACT - wolfberry fruit extract

MAGNOLIA ACUMINATA BARK EXTRACT - Cucumber Tree Bark Extract

RIBEST NIGRUM (BLACK CURRANT) FRUIT EXTRACT - this one tells you

ZIZYPHYS JUJUBA FRUIT EXTRACT - Jujube Fruit Extract

PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE - a diester of Propylene Glycol (below) meaning it's been combined with a fat and an acid. It's emollient, moisturizing, helps to thicken the texture of the product, and acts as an emulsifier to make the different things mix better.

PROPYLENE GLYCOL - moisturizer & humectant

WATER/AQUA/EAU - we know what water is

BENZYL SALICYLATE - It is used as a solvent for "Synthetic musks & as a Fixative in Floral compositions such as Jasmine, Liliac, Lily etc" (quoting Wikipedia)

LIMONE - either lime or lemon, depending on language

FRAGRANCE/PARFUM - foofy smell good stuff

CARAMEL - yum! I love caramel, esp with chocolate

BLUE 1 (CI 42090), RED 40 (CI 16035) <--colorants
    Based on that analysis, I don't know that I'd put that on my head.

Try this... it's similar to what I use for a scrub.

1c. Demerra Sugar
    1/2 c. Castor Oil
    1T Glycerin
    3T Fig Extract
    2T Wolfberry Extract
    1T Black Currant Extract
    2t Jujube Fruit Extract
    2t Honey
    1t Everclear

I tend to leave out things like fixatives, solvents, and Propylene Glycol/PPG and PEG. For that reason, I added the honey and a single teaspoon of Everclear. The alcohol in the Everclear will help to get the other things to mix up, act as a preservative, and help to prevent any bacterial growth. it's also easier for the home alchemist to get Everclear than it is to get cosmetic quality Propylene products.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Can I just add the Everclear to some Kool Aid, lemonade or cranberry juice? ;) I don't know where in UT I'd be able to get that when the state considers wine coolers strong alcohol! :lol:

That recipe contains a lot of what's in the bain de terre stuff. What scrub do you use that's similar?

Thanks!
    I make it myself. I have had problems with itchy skin most of my life and in desperation, started making my own skin care products.

My exfolating scrub (and this makes a big tub)

1 c sugar
    1 c coarse kosher salt (any coase salt will do but I can get this at the regular grocery store - saves a trip)
    1/2 c EVOO
    1/4 c Avocado Oil
    1/4 c Grapeseed Oil

1 t Ground Ginger
    1 t Cloves
    1 t Cinnamon
    1 t Allspice

You can adjust the amount of EVOO so that it comes out to be a paste. The herb mix is germicidal so it keeps it from spoiling or going rancid for a good while.

Blend well and park in a cool dark place for 1 week to allow everything to stabilize. Then it's ready to use.

Scrub yourself silly with it. No more crusty knees or elbows. No more snaggy or cracked heels. Just nice soft smooth skin.

Oh yea, use in the shower. Keep out of sensitive places. Keep out of your eyes. Common sense stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file