Where do you lose it from first?

MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
So when you go on a diet or start working out, where does the weight come off you first? I'm talking about you personally. I know you can't spot reduce ( :( ) but weight does not come off in the same way for all of us. I'm just curious. Also, what sort of shape are you?

I'm a pear shape and when I lose weight, it definitely comes off from my midriff (defined by me as being from just below bra to belly button) first, even though that area is already very slim. Then it comes off from the tummy below the belly button.
«1

Comments

  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Mip,

    In the old days, it was always my arms and the area you described.

    These days, if we define reduce as a leaner appearance, then I can reduce moreso in one area versus others. It partly depends on my body composition (how much body fat vs lean muscle I'm carrying in different parts, which depends on genetics and weighttraining) at the time, and the type of workouts I am doing.

    I'm a pear shape with emphasis on thighs rather than hips. I'll send you a pm and let you judge.
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    Another pear-shape checking in. I definitely loose in my upper body first. I have very naturally lean arms.

    What's the difference between hips and thighs? LOL.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I've noticed some distinctions in pear types. These might help.

    Pear with thigh emphasis:

    annaboyle01.jpg

    Pear with hip and booty emphasis:

    22jlo.JPG
    jennifer_lopez_009.jpg
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    Cherish, based on these pics, where do you think I fall?

    http://public.fotki.com/Morenaza/aventurera_a_glimps/ridgerunfinish.html

    http://public.fotki.com/Morenaza/2006/cumpleanos.html

    I think the athletic types fall into the "thigh" emphasis.


    My weight range is usually 128-131. I'm really trying to love my legs. It's been a difficult, life-long process. :x

    Hmm, is it safe for me to be posting this stuff online?
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    I'm not sure what shape I am because the pictures Cherish posted are making me rethink what shape I really am. I've always thought of myself as an hour glass shape. I have broad shoulders, a small waist and large hips. Then again, I also always considered JLo to be an hour glass shape, but looking at her again, maybe not.

    I tend to lose weight in different places, depending on my current body composition, like Cherish mentioned. When I first began losing weight, I had a lot of fat on my body. I lost it mostly in my waist, stomach, and breasts (that was unexpected :lol: ).

    With this period of weight loss I'm going through, I'm losing the weight in my hips, back, and arms.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Costenya wrote:
    Cherish, based on these pics, where do you think I fall?

    I think the athletic types fall into the "thigh" emphasis.


    My weight range is usually 128-131. I'm really trying to love my legs. It's been a difficult, life-long process. :x

    Hmm, is it safe for me to be posting this stuff online?

    I edited out the links in case you want to delete them.

    You have the thigh emphasis. Our bodies are very similar in shape.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Aries_jb wrote:
    I'm not sure what shape I am because the pictures Cherish posted are making me rethink what shape I really am. I've always thought of myself as an hour glass shape. I have broad shoulders, a small waist and large hips. Then again, I also always considered JLo to be an hour glass shape, but looking at her again, maybe not.

    I tend to lose weight in different places, depending on my current body composition, like Cherish mentioned. When I first began losing weight, I had a lot of fat on my body. I lost it mostly in my waist, stomach, and breasts (that was unexpected :lol: ).

    With this period of weight loss I'm going through, I'm losing the weight in my hips, back, and arms.

    Aries, I had JLo pegged as an hourglass, too. But I was argued out of that by a friend who pointed out that she's proportionally smaller on top.

    Also, my neighbor is this little/petite blonde from texas. She's small all over except for her hips and booty.

    I think some pears would be hourglasses if they had a bigger upper body. If your shoulders are broad and in proportion to your lower body, then I would have to say you're an hourglass.

    The 3rd type I see is the classic pear (hips, booty and thighs), but the true classic type (with all 3 when slim) is not a very common type, IMO.
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    It's funny because when you posted the picture of that runner, I thought, oh my goodness that's me (particularly in my fitter days of running)), except she's white! :shock: :lol: I took a friend of mine to a 10k race I was in a few years ago (actually, the same one in the pic I posted) and she was shocked at the size of the female runner's thighs. LOL. My legs looked like spaghettios compared to some of these women. And they were RIPPED!

    By the way, I hope I'm not "topping" Mip's thread. :oops: That wasn't my intent at all. This thread seems to have become a haven for those of us who are pear-shaped. LOL.

    So, Cherish, what types of jeans do you wear?
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:
    I think some pears would be hourglasses if they had a bigger upper body. If your shoulders are broad and in proportion to your lower body, then I would have to say you're an hourglass.

    Oh yeah, they're definitely broad, lol. I used to get teased by my sister and told I look like a transvestite when I wear a dress.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    First place for me is my face. :lol: Which is just fine with me because I always think I have a chubby face, and my mom is constantly pointing out that that's why people always think I'm younger than I am. :? Other than that I so wish I could say that I lose it in my bustline but that seems to be the hardest for me. :( I've lost quite a bit in my back and my wastline, but I still have a potbelly stomach!! It's so frustrating. :evil:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:
    Aries_jb wrote:
    I'm not sure what shape I am because the pictures Cherish posted are making me rethink what shape I really am. I've always thought of myself as an hour glass shape. I have broad shoulders, a small waist and large hips. Then again, I also always considered JLo to be an hour glass shape, but looking at her again, maybe not.

    I tend to lose weight in different places, depending on my current body composition, like Cherish mentioned. When I first began losing weight, I had a lot of fat on my body. I lost it mostly in my waist, stomach, and breasts (that was unexpected :lol: ).

    With this period of weight loss I'm going through, I'm losing the weight in my hips, back, and arms.

    Aries, I had JLo pegged as an hourglass, too. But I was argued out of that by a friend who pointed out that she's proportionally smaller on top.

    Also, my neighbor is this little/petite blonde from texas. She's small all over except for her hips and booty.

    I think some pears would be hourglasses if they had a bigger upper body. If your shoulders are broad and in proportion to your lower body, then I would have to say you're an hourglass.

    The 3rd type I see is the classic pear (hips, booty and thighs), but the true classic type (with all 3 when slim) is not a very common type, IMO.

    I agree. I also think of JLo as a prime example of how great a pear can look. I think of myself as an hourglass with the sand at the bottom. :lol:
    And definitely you don't often see a slim classic pear shape. Well, I don't, and the pear shape is supposed to be the most common shape in England.
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    Costenya wrote:

    By the way, I hope I'm not "topping" Mip's thread. :oops: That wasn't my intent at all. This thread seems to have become a haven for those of us who are pear-shaped. LOL.

    Oh you're not topping at all. :)

    Pear shapes should stick together!
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Costenya wrote:
    It's funny because when you posted the picture of that runner, I thought, oh my goodness that's me (particularly in my fitter days of running)), except she's white! :shock: :lol: I took a friend of mine to a 10k race I was in a few years ago (actually, the same one in the pic I posted) and she was shocked at the size of the female runner's thighs. LOL. My legs looked like spaghettios compared to some of these women. And they were RIPPED!

    By the way, I hope I'm not "topping" Mip's thread. :oops: That wasn't my intent at all. This thread seems to have become a haven for those of us who are pear-shaped. LOL.

    So, Cherish, what types of jeans do you wear?

    Yep, I have that same base shape, except more balanced from tweaking.

    Certain types of athletes (usually sprinters and BB competitors) set out to grow their legs, which is why the ripped ones you saw were bigger than normal, as opposed to being ripped and lean. It's all a matter of goals/taste + training.

    I wear 7 for all mankind... I hear about all these new ones out there, but I don't enjoy denim shopping so I haven't looked recently.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Mip wrote:
    I agree. I also think of JLo as a prime example of how great a pear can look. I think of myself as an hourglass with the sand at the bottom. :lol:
    And definitely you don't often see a slim classic pear shape. Well, I don't, and the pear shape is supposed to be the most common shape in England.

    I see more pears in England than out here. The most common types I see here are the apple and ruler types.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    I'm an hourglass, I think. My chest and hip measurements are very similar with my waist being smaller. If I had a butt, I'd be fierce once I lost the rest of this extra weight! :lol:

    It seems that I lose weight everywhere at the same time. Even if my stomach gets more toned from sit-ups, it doesn't seem it gets smaller than anything else. This is a curse because I have to lose more weight to see results. :? When I've lost 5-10 pounds, I can't see anything. It takes about 20 pounds to make it easily recognizable to anyone, and my face/neck/fingers/even feet get smaller, too. I think this may also be due to my height (5'9").
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Lydia, do hills/stairs. You'll have a hot booty in no time ;)
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:
    Mip wrote:
    I agree. I also think of JLo as a prime example of how great a pear can look. I think of myself as an hourglass with the sand at the bottom. :lol:
    And definitely you don't often see a slim classic pear shape. Well, I don't, and the pear shape is supposed to be the most common shape in England.

    I see more pears in England than out here. The most common types I see here are the apple and ruler types.

    I read an article about a study that said that American women were generally rulers and Brits were pears. I swear I see more apple shapes though.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I think mine is just watermelon shape. :roll:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I loose in the belly area first then the face, then the arms and *maybe* the legs. I'm a pear with thigh emphasis. I truely understand why some people go the lipo route. It's the only way to spot reduce.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Mip wrote:
    Cherish wrote:
    Mip wrote:
    I agree. I also think of JLo as a prime example of how great a pear can look. I think of myself as an hourglass with the sand at the bottom. :lol:
    And definitely you don't often see a slim classic pear shape. Well, I don't, and the pear shape is supposed to be the most common shape in England.

    I see more pears in England than out here. The most common types I see here are the apple and ruler types.

    I read an article about a study that said that American women were generally rulers and Brits were pears. I swear I see more apple shapes though.

    One other thing I've noticed about American women (could be women in general, but I just happened to observe it on a BB board I visit and from my own training) is that the line between types can become blurred... I'm thinking of apple and ruler, and pear and ruler, which is why I started out talking about body composition. I think it might explain why rulers seem to be so common.

    I have an excellent example in mind, but I will have to see if I can dig up her pics.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I think this is a good example because she was overweight (5' 8.5" and 166lbs) though not by a lot however she was packing a LOT of fat relative to muscle mass.

    To me, she looks like a pear...I don't think she's an hourglass at all, but I'd like to know if you agree:
    Before pic

    She went down to 136lbs from doing cardio and some weights:
    After pic

    Then she became more solid from some real lifting, though I think she could have used some more lean mass:
    More solid

    I can't find a hint of pear in her... I would say she's a ruler bordering hourglass - her hips look kinda narrow and her chest is small which is why I think she's a ruler.
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    In the 'Before' pic, I don't think she looks like a pear (wish I was that much in proportion!) but looks like a slightly podgy (esp. in stomach/waist) hourglass.

    To be honest, I think she went a bit too far in the second picture. She looks a little too thin and angular. I think a midway point between the first and second pictures would have been great. But that's just my opinion.

    In the second and third pictures she is unquestionably not a pear. She looks either mid-way between ruler and hourglass, or just a too thin hourglass.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Hmmm... anyone who looks "bottom heavy" (relatively speaking) is automatically a pear to me and she really seems to be packing a lot in the thigh area in the before pic.

    I agree she went too far. Her real issue was body comp moreso than actual scale weight so I think 145 with a lot less body fat would have been ideal.

    I'll see if I can remember a username for another example - I really like visual aids!
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    This is a slim pear. Her before body is the most similar to my base shape that I could find with minimum clothing, except she has more boobage and I have more booty. Is this a pear or not?

    before pear pic - front

    before pear pic - rear
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    I don't think either of those women are pear-shaped--they are carrying weight in the ab area. Most pear shapes I know, myself included, carry little to no weight in the abs. We build six-packs naturally, with little effort (relatively speaking).

    I don't think the last set of pics you posted are pear (the one in the fuschia/red bikini bottom). She looks more like a ruler (she carries weight in her stomach). I'm going to scan and PM you pics of me in a bathing suit so you can see what muscular bottom heavy looks like. LOL.

    I don't know what it is, but as I get older, my thighs seem to have gotten meatier. What is going on?
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    Mip wrote:
    Cherish wrote:
    Mip wrote:
    I agree. I also think of JLo as a prime example of how great a pear can look. I think of myself as an hourglass with the sand at the bottom. :lol:
    And definitely you don't often see a slim classic pear shape. Well, I don't, and the pear shape is supposed to be the most common shape in England.

    I see more pears in England than out here. The most common types I see here are the apple and ruler types.

    I read an article about a study that said that American women were generally rulers and Brits were pears. I swear I see more apple shapes though.

    That explains the difficulty in finding clothing that doesn't look like my butt is being sucked up. :lol:
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I've asked quite a few people off and online and I can't seem to get a consensus on both women. One person has agreed with me about the slim pear. Maybe the weekday folks will have the answer...

    I think my underlying point still holds, but I give up with the body types :lol:
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Ooops... forgot to post the "afters". She did such a nice job!

    After/WIP - legs

    After/WIP - side

    After/WIP - booty
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    In the second set of pictures, I think she looks like a ruler. Her hips and thighs don't look disproportionately bigger to the rest of her. I think she looked great before she worked out, although the after pictures are nice too. I'm insanely jealous of her booty.

    I might have to take some pictures of me so you can see an excellent example of a not over-weight pear shape. I'll be the 'before' to Costenya's 'after'. :lol:
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    Here's another reason why I think the woman in the first picture that Cherish posted isn't a pear shape: She's 5'8" and weighs 136 pounds. My weight isn't too far from that. Right now, I think I'm weighing around 129-133, and I'm 5'5". I can't tell because my body is going through the "swelling" stage since I did a lot of lower body activities this week (biking, running, etc.)

    If she has a pear shape at 5'8" weighing 136, she would look RAIL THIN, especially on top and her hips would be wide but thin. When I was in college, I weighed around 120-124 and I looked really, really skinny. :lol: You couldn't tell I was pear shaped unless I wore certain clothes like skirts or shorts that showed my thighs. Pear shapes for the most part can carry weight (to a certain extent) and if they drop really low, it shows.

    ETA: Cherish or MIP or someone, can you explain to me why our lower-body "swells up" when we do certain exercises (it's like there's muscle building over fat--lol). I know this always happens, but I forget why? I'm coming off a long exercise hiatus. Now that it's summer, I've been doing a lot of outdoor sports.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file