Don't Mess with Texas!

2»

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Why is everyone getting so worked up about this? It's NOT happening! And it's not something the majority of Texans are even thinking about!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    Why is everyone getting so worked up about this? It's NOT happening! And it's not something the majority of Texans are even thinking about!

I don't think anyone here is particularly worked up about it. If you're talking about the mainstream media frenzy, I would say it's because the insinuations are being made by such a prominent politician who holds a lot of power in the state.
    battinlash wrote: »

I don't think anyone here is particularly worked up about it. If you're talking about the mainstream media frenzy, I would say it's because the insinuations are being made by such a prominent politician who holds a lot of power in the state.

Ah, the press. It may seem that way, but in truth the governor of Texas has pretty much no power. During Civil War Reconstruction, Texas was occupied by the army and a Republican governor was imposed upon the people (this was at a time when everyone was a Democrat, so you can imagine that hatred and resentment they harbored). They wrote a new constitution after Reconstruction that is still in place today. It's super long and complicated, but restricts a lot of power from the governor.

He has some control over the money coming in from the federal government, but the speaker of the house and legislature itself by far have the majority of the power held by the government. The lieutenant governor has more power than the actual governor, lol. I guess that's why I don't see what the big deal is - Perry can't do anything and no one likes him anyway.

My comment was directed towards the more recent posts on this thread. There's a strong anti-Texas sentiment. And yeah, Ike wasn't as bad as it gets, but that was a bad storm. We have friends in Houston. The wife was 8 months pregnant with twins when the storm hit. They were without power for three weeks. Not a good situation to be in.
    CG since 6/15/08!

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not saying Ike wasn't bad, I'm just saying it is not as bad as it can (and will eventually) get.

People in Louisiana pull that "the governor has no power" line, too. I call BS.

And I'm not anti-Texas. I'm just anti-dumbassedness and anti-*****assedness.

My point is Texas hates to admit it, but they need all the other 49 states' support (i.e., MONEY) via the federal government.

So did Texas utilize federal support after Ike and other hurricanes or not?

No answer?

That's because they DID.

It makes not an iota of sense that Texans are suddenly outraged because of government spending AFTER Bush is out of office.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    curlyarca wrote: »
    I'm not saying Ike wasn't bad, I'm just saying it is not as bad as it can (and will eventually) get.

People in Louisiana pull that "the governor has no power" line, too. I call BS.

And I'm not anti-Texas. I'm just anti-dumbassedness and anti-*****assedness.

My point is Texas hates to admit it, but they need all the other 49 states' support (i.e., MONEY) via the federal government.

So did Texas utilize federal support after Ike and other hurricanes or not?

No answer?

That's because they DID.

It makes not an iota of sense that Texans are suddenly outraged because of government spending AFTER Bush is out of office.

And who is outraged? The governor? His few supporters?
    CG since 6/15/08!

• morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I'm from Texas. Ancestors at the Alamo and all of that. If Texas left the US, we'd be better off. We wouldn't have billions in debt. And the rest of you could pay us for the oil and natual gas that we produce and we'd be allowed to do something about the illegal immigration problem.

What most of you don't know is that there are very bad things pouring over the border and most of it never appears on the evening news. They caught a 40 foot trailer full Iranians sneaking into the country from Mexico. They had a problem here in Dallas - smuggling in Chinese and Korean teen age girls so that they could be forced into drug abuse and prostitution. It's not about the people who want to come here and work. It's about gangs like MS-13, Surenos, and others.

Slavery - yes slavery - is up in Texas 857% in the last year according to FBI stats. SLAVERY - IN MY STATE - IN 2009!!!! OMFG!!! And most of them are teen age girls.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wha, morrighu? I don't understand.
    I'm from Texas. Nobody that I know of is talking about wanting to seceed from the U.S. Rick Perry is an eeediot!
    I love Texas, I love the U.S. even more.
    Love us, or hate us...but we're staying. So there!!
    And not all of us b1tch here either. We all don't wear cowboy hats...nobody I hang out with wears a cowboy hat. We all don't own ranches and horses.
    Please don't listen to the media portrayal of Texans...it's very, very distorted.
    I won't lie....Texans tend to be more conservative and more fundamentalist Christian...but that's just more on average than other states up north...not more so than east of us. However, guess what? I know many liberal people, many non-religious people...and *gasp* atheists too.
    I rode a horse once in my life (3 years ago). I am highly educated (Master's degree) and I actually live in a metropolitan area.
    We's aint all a bunch of ignorant folk who want to b1tch and complain about them dang liberals.
    So, puleeze. Why is this even a topic? Feel free to bash our governor. I still miss the days of Ann Richards.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurlyGina2 wrote: »
    Good riddance. When they finally secede maybe they'll take Alaska with them.
    Ditto. Good Riddance.

I wouldn't mind losing TX either. All they seem to do is b1tch.

Yep, that's ALL we seem to do. I guess we can't all be passive good little girls, now can we?
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    Wha, morrighu? I don't understand.
    I'm from Texas. Nobody that I know of is talking about wanting to seceed from the U.S. Rick Perry is an eeediot!
    I love Texas, I love the U.S. even more.
    Love us, or hate us...but we're staying. So there!!
    And not all of us b1tch here either. We all don't wear cowboy hats...nobody I hang out with wears a cowboy hat. We all don't own ranches and horses.
    Please don't listen to the media portrayal of Texans...it's very, very distorted.
    I won't lie....Texans tend to be more conservative and more fundamentalist Christian...but that's just more on average than other states up north...not more so than east of us. However, guess what? I know many liberal people, many non-religious people...and *gasp* atheists too.
    I rode a horse once in my life (3 years ago). I am highly educated (Master's degree) and I actually live in a metropolitan area.
    We's aint all a bunch of ignorant folk who want to b1tch and complain about them dang liberals.
    So, puleeze. Why is this even a topic? Feel free to bash our governor. I still miss the days of Ann Richards.

Well said!
    CG since 6/15/08!

• alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    Feel free to bash our governor. I still miss the days of Ann Richards.

Me, too. I liked Ann very much. I've never lived in Texas, but I would have voted for her if I did!
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oklahoma will pass their resolution one way or another. Good for OK!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Ditto. Good Riddance.

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I was wondering what you've got against Alaska? As far as I've heard, nobody's talking about seceding, so why would you not want us Alaskans as your fellow citizens? Just curious, not trying to start anything.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sigi wrote: »
    Ditto. Good Riddance.

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I was wondering what you've got against Alaska? As far as I've heard, nobody's talking about seceding, so why would you not want us Alaskans as your fellow citizens? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

Your governor (and the First Dude) are members of a secessionist group. I think the country would just like to get rid of the Palins. The rest of you are welcome to stay. ;)
  • CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Posts: 734Registered Users

amen to that!!
    head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
    "Make your choice adventurous stranger;
    Strike the bell and bide the danger.
    Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    alacurl wrote: »
    Feel free to bash our governor. I still miss the days of Ann Richards.

Me, too. I liked Ann very much. I've never lived in Texas, but I would have voted for her if I did!
    Loved AR!
    GB was born w/ a silver foot in his mouth...

:laughing2:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't believe all the anti-Texas sentiment. I'm extremely proud I'm from Texas, and extremely proud of being a U.S. citizen. Trust me when I say the vast majority of Texans aren't involved in any secession groups or even talk about it. You shouldn't believe everything you hear and you really shouldn't assume that everyone in our state wants to secede just because a group of bat **** crazies wants to. Methinks if any of these people actually CAME to Texas they'd be very surprised.
    I can't believe all the anti-Texas sentiment. I'm extremely proud I'm from Texas, and extremely proud of being a U.S. citizen. Trust me when I say the vast majority of Texans aren't involved in any secession groups or even talk about it. You shouldn't believe everything you hear and you really shouldn't assume that everyone in our state wants to secede just because a group of bat **** crazies wants to. Methinks if any of these people actually CAME to Texas they'd be very surprised.

You should tell that to your governor. He's the one who was spouting out and threatening to seceed. I like the rest of y'all just fine and would like you to stay (well, except my ex husband and his wife who live in TX...they can seceed if they want to).
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte

You should tell that to your governor. He's the one who was spouting out and threatening to seceed. I like the rest of y'all just fine and would like you to stay (well, except my ex husband and his wife who live in TX...they can seceed if they want to).

I'm a Republican, as y'all well know, and I would rather ANYONE be our governor than Rick Perry. I'm so excited Kay Bailey Hutchinson is running against him. She is awesome.

I'm a Republican, as y'all well know, and I would rather ANYONE be our governor than Rick Perry. I'm so excited Kay Bailey Hutchinson is running against him. She is awesome.

She's not my cup of tea. She's a female George Bush...pro-guns, anti-environment, anti-women, bought and sold by big oil business. Granted, she's brighter than Sarah Palin, so that's a plus.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice

She's not my cup of tea. She's a female George Bush...pro-guns, anti-environment, anti-women, bought and sold by big oil business. Granted, she's brighter than Sarah Palin, so that's a plus.

My 2 1/2 year old is brighter than Sarah Palin.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Oklahoma will pass their resolution one way or another. Good for OK!

"Lord it's good to be an Okie"

LOL. Thank my lucky stars I don't live in MD anymore. I was born in D.C. and grew up in MD. While I like the culture and miss a lot of cool stuff... I wouldn't ever move back.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    nynaeve77 wrote: »

My 2 1/2 year old is brighter than Sarah Palin.
    :laughing1:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file