Don't Mess with Texas!

misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
I love this! More states ought to be doing the same thing, in my opinion.

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "Each State, in ratifying the Constitution is considered as a soverign body, independent of all others, and only to be bound by its own voluntary act. In this relation, then, the new Constitution will, if established, be a Federal, and not a National constituion"

James Madison "Federalist 39".
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    Good riddance. When they finally secede maybe they'll take Alaska with them.
    Where does it say they wish to secede?
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
    Scarlet wrote: »

It doesn't. It's merely a political step in that direction. But you can google "Texas secede" to see that the movement is alive and well.
    You could also Google info on the Constitution and the 10th amendment to find out what powers explicitly are given to the Federal Government.
    Sure I could, but luckily, I'm quite familiar with the Constitution. Glad Texas is too. Which right will they randomly assert next? They weren't too concerned about their constitutional rights when they were being trampled a few months back.
    Asserting 10th amendment rights isn't exactly "random".
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    The 10th amendment allows states to make decisions about what goes within its borders. But does it allow states to allow slavery, compulsary education from ages 10-12 only, polygamy, or unsafe bridges? Where do you draw the line?
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    So basically they're just saying they are going to assert those rights but not say what they specifically take offense to?
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I learned about this movement among the states last month. At least 18 states have passed something similar. This isn't only about Texas, and it isn't a move to secede. I think OK was the first state to do this. I heard the whole statement, and it was incredibly moving.
    I just did a google search and found a lot of links regarding this issue, but don't know if any are acceptable here. I found one from the John Birch Society. I don't know what they stand for, but thought this looked comprehensive.
    I'm all for each state telling the feds that they're no longer kowtowing to their arbitrary rules and regulations written on a whim or pork barrel.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Eh, I don't see anything wrong with this. I will say that I don't know anyone who likes Gov. Perry, and I know a lot of conservatives here.

And you do here a bit every now and then about being our own country. Some people believe we were illegally annexed to the U.S.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    A friend of mine's DIL complains about my friend meddling in their family life. My friend chose the preschool and soccer team. That would be a problem but everytime the son and DIL need a free babysitter or a cook or a taxi or a bank, they call on her. She cooks for them regularly. The way I see it, the DIL should either take care of her own family and not rely on her MIL or accept the fact that if you want MIL in some ways, you take her in all ways.

Same for the states and feds. You don't have do what the feds say on NCLB; you just won't get additional funds for education. Same for hundreds of other federal mandates.

Did Governor Perry bring up the issue of secession during his tea party speech?
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Myradella3 wrote: »

Did Governor Perry bring up the issue of secession during his tea party speech?

It's my understanding that he didn't use the word, no. Someone in the audience yelled it. I'm not clear on what his response was at that time. In an interview later he sort of (but not really) implied that Texas was soooo independent and different from the rest of the nation that they COULD secede, and might be better off for it. But that'd be kind of a stretch.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Good for Texas! At least they're using there GOD-given constitutional right, unlike those who don't who any respect for the constitution.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    ct_idmwtmag.JPG
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

3cCurly wrote: »
    Good for Texas! At least they're using there GOD-given constitutional right, unlike those who don't who any respect for the constitution.

I'm fairly certain Constitutional rights are given by the Constitution, not god.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :lol:
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte

they're
    there
    their

whatev

:dontknow:
    wild~hair wrote: »

they're
    there
    their

whatev

:dontknow:

Apparently 'their' interchangeable or did the great GWB leave someone behind?
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Apparently the State Department thought Texas was a foreign country too. It was listed on their website as one of the countries Hillary Clinton has visited since taking office (and was subsequently taken down from the list today).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/17/state-department-lists-te_n_188151.html
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It also designates that all compulsory federal legislation that requires states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties, or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding, be prohibited or repealed.

Not a good idea.

This is what I don't get. When Hurricane Hell comes and blows the Texas coast away, will Texans want federal help.....or will Texans pull themselves up out of the floodwaters on their own.

My guess is they'll be crying FEMA crocodile tears.

Also, where was the outrage when Bush was spending us into debt on two wars?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    curlyarca wrote: »

That was GOD'S plan. Bush was simply following the directives God gave him. So it was fine.

Duh.
    Stolen.
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice

That was GOD'S plan. Bush was simply following the directives God gave him. So it was fine.

Duh.

:laughing6:
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users

Duh.

teeee heee...sad thing is people actually beleive this carp!!
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    i was born in texas:confused1::puker:...thank god i left three months later for the "liberal haven" that in the great state of NY!!!
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    battinlash wrote: »
    Ditto. Good Riddance.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyGina2 wrote: »
    battinlash wrote: »
    Ditto. Good Riddance.

I wouldn't mind losing TX either. All they seem to do is b1tch.
  • NewMrs.NewMrs. Posts: 87Registered Users
    I <3 TX. Wouldn't live anywhere else. And "Hurricane Hell" came last September.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can't possibly think that Hurricane Ike is as bad as it gets. As someone who lived in an hour's drive from the Gulf coast for Katrina, Rita, AND Ike.....it can be much, much worse.

So answer me this: did Texas accept federal assistance with Ike? If so, if they're so big and bad and can take care of themselves, why?

That's my point. Otherwise I'm neutral on Texas.

And frankly, if any state were to secede that would be the dumbest, ****tiest move ever. Look at what our great republic does when you ARE NOT a part of us (see: Iraq, Afghanistan, and um, the entire freaking SOUTHEASTERN US at the end of the 19th century???); I'd hate to see the fall out if some lone star state up and decided they weren't playing ball anymore.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file