Cribs - brands

goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am beginning to get overwhelmed by crib shopping. Consumer reports has very limited info on crib ratings -- seems they didn't test very much that's out there.

What brand crib(s) do/did you have? What did you like about it? Not like about it? Would you recommend it?

The Baby Bargains book has some more info about cribs, but I don't own it and have to pick brands and then go look them up in the book at the bookstore :)

We're looking for solid wood, sturdy construction, well made, etc. We looked at Babies R' Us yesterday and we were pretty disappointed with what we saw. We plan to buy a crib and dresser/changer that matches. It seemed when we found a crib that seemed solid the dresser (especially bottom of drawer) seemed flimsy.
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

• SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    We have a Sorelle crib, which we decided on after reading reviews and using the 'Baby Bargains' book. We ended up with one of the lower-end models they make, but so far, it's held up really well through 2 kids (my first used it till she was 28 months).
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Ours is Simplicity, I think, from Wal Mart. My aunt got it for us at my baby shower. It works fabulously as a giant laundry basket. Seriously, since we ended up cosleeping Solomon's slept probably a total of a couple hours in it, ever. In the beginning, before we coslept, he slept in a moses basket or in the Pack N Play.

I guess I'm no help :lol:. I guess all I'm trying to say is, if you think there's even a chance that you'll cosleep, maybe just get a moses basket in the beginning and then buy a crib when baby's too big for the basket. We used our basket ALL THE TIME when he was little. He's small so he fit in it until about 6 months. We brought it whenever we'd go to someone's house so he'd always have somewhere safe to sleep.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think there's any chance we'll cosleep. Our bed is already too small for the two of us :lol: That's why I'm so focused on getting a good solid crib.

But we do plan to keep the baby in the room, at least for a while in the beginning.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The dressers that match crib furniture usually aren't that nice. I think it's better to buy quality dressers that you like in a regular furniture store (you can use any dresser as a changer just by putting a contoured pad on top) and then buying the crib separately. You only use the crib for a couple of years anyway.

You can save yourself a ton of money on the crib purchase by just buying a plain crib, not one of those 3- or 4-in-one convertable bed things. If you're planning on having more than one child, those aren't practical anyway, since a crib can be used by several children before they wear out, but if it's been converted to a regular bed, then you have no crib and have to buy another, and they cost upwards of $1,000. Any of the regular crib brands work fine and are safe...Simmons, Childcraft, etc. They cost about $200. Get one with straight vertical slats rather than ornate...so that the bumpers can't be used as a launching platform by a climbing toddler.

Get a firm foam crib mattress (Colgate Classica is the good brand...about $100). Babies and toddlers do not need spring mattresses and your back will thank you when you're lifting a 5 pound foam mattress out in the middle of the night to change it, rather than a 20 pound spring mattress.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    RedCatWaves is wise
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Wish I'd been on this board when we were furniture shopping.

Anyway, we bought a Stanley - Young America convertible crib for DD. It converts to a toddler bed, a daybed with trundle, and eventually a full-size bed. We just figured if we had any more kids, we would have to buy another bed anyway. It's very solid and well made.

My only complaint is that DD chewed up the rails but fortunately, she only did that on the crib section and not on anything that will be used in the future.

We bought her crib/dresser at a furniture store.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The dressers that match crib furniture usually aren't that nice. I think it's better to buy quality dressers that you like in a regular furniture store (you can use any dresser as a changer just by putting a contoured pad on top) and then buying the crib separately. You only use the crib for a couple of years anyway.

That was our original plan. Though if we can find a really good quality dresser (at a similar price to a regular "non-baby" dresser) than I would just go ahead and buy two matching pieces.

We've been looking for non-convertible but seems almost everything out there is convertible, and those that are not are the same price as convertible anyway. My take on it is that if it doesn't come with the converter kit I'm not spending extra money on it. We would like to have children after this and I would prefer to use the same crib with all of them.

I just can't believe how many crib manufacturers are out there -- especially when Consumer Reports only rated about half a dozen.

We want one that looks simple and nice, nothing too ornate (not our style) and will hold up through the test of time :)

I had been looking at a DaVinci online, but can't seem to find it in stores to see how sturdy it feels.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the opposite take on furniture that RCW has. We bought expensive furniture (Ragazzi for our son before the sold out and Capretti for our daughter). Both cribs are convertible from crib/toddler to full size bed. Right now our son is using the toddler bed. The other pieces such as chest of drawers and dresser are wonderful furniture. We plan on this being our kids furniture until they sale it and buy their own. I will say all you need is a crib and dresser or low chest for your kiddo. Use the dresser as a changing table and then you won't waste your money.

Our son did teeth on his crib but all we see are a few indentions. If we had scrapes we would have eventually filled in with a wood marker.

I have read somewhere (can't remember where) but that they are thinking or have already banned drop down sides on cribs.

Good Luck!!
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I had a Storkcraft crib for DS. It worked perfectly for us. I skipped the toddler bed stage entirely - I've heard from others that it makes the move to a twin bed more difficult.

I also didn't (and still don't) have a dresser drawer that matched DS's crib. His crib, and now his twin bed, is white and the dresser (from Ikea) is white.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file