Hosting Playgroup

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
My AP group has a playgroup every Friday. In the summer, it's at a local park and open to the entire group (70+ people, not all active) but the rest of the year it's just a smaller subset, and it's at someone's house.

A few months back, what kept happening was that no one wanted to host and every Thursday we'd get a frantic e-mail from the organizer... then either no one would host or someone would offer but it would be so last-minute and disorganized that no one would really go anyway. I was relatively new to the playgroup subset but ended up offering to just host every week. At the time, we only had one car, so it worked out well for me too because my husband could have the car on Fridays if I didn't have to drive anywhere.

Most of the other women have valid reasons for not wanting to host. A couple of them have their houses on the market (one of whom just moved into her new house, then had a baby so I won't expect her to host soon). One woman lived with her parents. And a few others believe their houses are too small, I think. But still, I'm becoming kind of burnt out on hosting. It's hard to find the time to clean up for playgroup, and where Solomon used to be happy riding on my back in my carrier while I'd do a quick run-through Friday mornings, he doesn't always like that anymore and it's impossible to clean up with him running around.

The next kicker is this. Under normal circumstances, it's not too rowdy of a group. Usually not everyone can make it every week, and most of the other families have little girls, who are much less active than the little boys in the group. One other mom has 2 boys, and when they come, it's significantly more rowdy. I have a boy myself so of course I'd never complain. Last week, this woman did offer to host because it was her younger son's birthday. When we went, another woman from our group who is not normally in the playgroup subset was there with her 3 boys. I really like this woman. Her boys are WILD. After she left last week, the hosting mom asked me and the others if we minded adding her to the playgroup e-mail list. I said of course not.

Now I'm starting to worry though. Not that I should exclude this woman - I would never ever do that. But I'm starting to get burnt out anyway, and it's really hard to keep track of all the kids at my house. And between these two women's boys (and my own, to some extent), it will be a madhouse. It's only another month or so until we can (hopefully) start doing our outdoor playgroup at the park, so I'm wondering if I should just suck it up in the meantime. I really enjoy playgroup every week and I suppose I'd rather put up with hosting than not have it at all. Plus, one of the other women told me it's such a great thing I did and that having a consistent place has made people come more regularly, and helped with the closeness of our group. Which of course made me feel guilty about not wanting to do it anymore.

The one good thing is that people are really good about bringing snacks. The first couple of weeks I provided everything, then I sent in my weekly e-mail "I'll have coffee for the mamas and water of course. If anyone wants to bring some snacks or a drink for the kids, feel free!" and since then everyone's been really good about contributing.
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I can see how hosting a playgroup every week would be exhausting! The group I belong to is just a group of SAHMs from my church (we've all known each other forever), and we rotate houses so that one person doesn't have to do all the work every time.

I wouldn't feel guilty about feeling burnt out. It's a lot of work to get ready for those events, especially every week, and it does get harder with a toddler because they take out everything you just put away! :) If the outdoor group is meeting next month, I'd just ask the moms in your group if you could just rotate houses for the next 3-4 weeks. Then revisit how you feel about hosting in the fall or whenever you guys go back indoors. Maybe all you need is a short break to recharge.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Hopefully by fall, others will be up to hosting. The one woman who just moved into a new house will probably be willing to since her newborn will be around 5 months old by then. Hopefully the other woman whose house is on the market will be in a new house by then too, and up for hosting. And I just realized that the new woman with the 3 boys might offer to host too - I remember her hosting once last year.

Maybe I'll go for it this week and then see if anyone else offers for next week, like the new woman. Thanks for the reply, nynaeve.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    To me that just seems kind of wrong... I mean it's great that you're hosting -- but week after week after week. It's got to be a bit much, and I would think the other moms would realize. Maybe at the next group you could mention that its nice for you and S to go to new environments and maybe another mom could host in one of the coming weeks.. or something along those lines.

Kudos to you for continuing to host every week!
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • SimbathekatSimbathekat Posts: 140Registered Users
    I agree with Goldy.

I would suck it up and host the next playgroup, then make an announcement that you want to begin rotating homes. Be honest about feeling burnt out and I promise that the other moms will understand. Plus, I'd mention the fact that you and Solomon really like the playgroup and want to keep it in tact; and in the past it seemed that no one else was really up to it - so you just want to make sure that the playgroup will really be continued in someone else's hands.

That's my take on it.

PS - I'm jealous of the SAHMs who can attend these playgroups. I just wish someone would create a playgroup for working moms (maybe that someone should be ME!).
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    The woman who hosted last week sent out an e-mail saying that (new mom of 3 boys) would like to join playgroup and is offering to host this week.

Perfect!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Awesome! It's great when stuff just works out. :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    The woman who hosted last week sent out an e-mail saying that (new mom of 3 boys) would like to join playgroup and is offering to host this week.

Perfect!

I'm sure you will vocally thank her for hosting and say how much fun you and S have going to new environments for playgroup ;)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file