How do you do a henna gloss?

qimissungqimissung Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've read on several signatures a henna gloss, what's that? How does it work differently than just hennaing(sp?)?
Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You put about a tablespoon of dry henna (body art grade) in about a cup of conditioner, mix it well, apply to all your hair, put on a plastic cap and leave it on for about 30 minutes.

Since you aren't releasing the dye (mixing it with lemon juice or some other acid for about 12 hours or overnight until you can see that its color has changed), it only gives a slight stain. You might use this as I do to blend grays into shades of brown, as I do (with a tablespoon of dry indigo), red, or blonde hair, or to brighten already red hair, or to make blonde look more strawberry blonde.

You don't get the strengthening benefits of the henna when used this way - you're not using enough of it or leaving it on long enough.

Used on blonde hair, it might eventually get redder than you'd like after repeated glosses.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can I ask about this? Hijacking I know. But it sounds like it would be perfect for me, I'd like to blend the grays into the hair but using something I could just put all over my head every week or so as part of a deep treatment without worrying about roots being different from the rest of the hair. I have only maybe half a percent gray but since my hair's dark it does show up a lot.

I do like red & auburn, happy with brown, not really fussy about which color it comes out except don't want to go lighter, don't want black, don't really want bright red gray hairs in the very dark brown because I definitely don't have enough (yet ...) for it to look like highlights.

So do you start with a full henna/indigo treatment and then gloss every month or week or something? Or does the gloss put enough color over time, without looking wrong to begin with?

Thanks

Robin
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ETA: Robin, I'm sorry, but after all this I saw that your hair is dark brown. Since this just leaves a light gold wash with very little red on the gray, I don't know if it'll work for you - you'll have to be the judge of how well this color would blend with your own color. Henna's very forgiving, so you could color with regular dye over it if it's not enough for you. At least this won't lighten your natural color any. I would wait at least a few days to give the indigo a chance to fade. It can sometimes affect regular hair color, although this is such a weak application, I doubt it'd be a factor.

Sorry for the length, but since you asked, I thought I'd give you details so that maybe you'd be saved some of the trial and error and uncertainty I went thru:

First, for someone who has blonde hair and wants to blend gray without any red at all, you can use full dye-released cassia (body art grade) for a slight golden tone. Over time, it also strengthens and thickens your hair like henna does. You can learn about it here: www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html

For blondes who want strawberry blonde and for all shades of red, brown, chestnut, brunette (wouldn't recommend for black):

Here's the link on the henna site where I first learned about glosses for brown hair: www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=3530 If that interests you, you can also find some other threads about them on that site, but last time I looked, this original one was still the best (when you do a search, hits are listed chronologically, oldest to newest). Note, though, that it calls for a teaspoon of each plant. That might be enough for a man or for woman with short hair, but I don't find it to be enough for mine at barely shoulder length, so I use a tablespoon each of henna and indigo. ETA: Anyone wanting just reddish highlights can omit the indigo.

I didn't know about glosses at first and started with full dye-released henna/cassia/indigo to blend gray and old highlights on my med./dark chestnut brown hair - wish I had known about them to begin with! The regular full-dye application left my highlights and grays a little too red since my hair doesn't hang onto the indigo well. I was always having to do indigo glosses to tone the red down between the regular root touch-ups.

A gloss with 1 T. each of henna and indigo (I also add a teaspoon of table salt since it's supposed to help retain the indigo), applied to clean damp or dry hair (no product and no conditioner w/oil - can prevent proper adherence), left on for 30 minutes or so leaves grays with just sort of a golden hue so that they look like highlights, but it's not intense enough that it even shows up on my natural color. I've already had most of the highlights cut off now, but what's left are no longer getting redder since I started glossing.

To begin, I usually low-poo my hair to remove any product residue, don't condition it, just rinse it well and wrap it in a microfiber towel for a few minutes so my hair isn't dripping. Then I mix and apply the gloss - don't mix too far ahead because indigo loses its punch after about 30 minutes. I don't even use plastic gloves when working it into my hair as it washes off my hands and nails easily (not the case with full dye released henna!). I wrap my head turban-style with a regular towel over the plastic cap. This keeps your head warm which also is supposed to help the indigo and it helps catch any drips - so far this weak mix has never stained a towel, although I don't think I've used a white one, LOL.

Since the length of my grays already have previous color on them, I always basically apply it just to my roots, but by the time I finish squishing it thru, it ends up on all of it - do keep squishing it after you've put the cap on to be sure all of the gray roots get covered well. The first time you do a gloss, if the full length of your grays needs color, I'd increase this by at least half to have enough mix to be sure all of your hair is well-covered for this initial application. After that, you should be able to concentrate on roots only as I do.

Afterward, rinse thoroughly, vigorously rubbing your scalp with fingertips, not nails, just as you would with a regular co-wash/no-poo. That's it for me - I don't apply shampoo since my hair was already clean or conditioner since that's already been on at least 30 minutes, although you could apply more conditioner and do another co-wash if you feel the need. I don't, so sometimes I get a little green under my nails if I scratch my head for the next couple of days, LOL. There's not enough residue left that it's visible on my scalp, though.

I can usually go about 3 weeks between glosses. If I go much longer, I start seeing little silver glints again, especially since I'm most gray right in the front at my temples. I have to be careful to really plaster it on around my hairline, or I can even see some right after the gloss. If it turns my skin a little rusty looking, I can easily remove the residue with cleanser and washcloth, a moist facial towelette, or toner on a cotton ball after I've washed everything out. Since it's so easy to get it off, I don't try to protect the area with Vaseline or anything because I don't want to chance getting it on some of the hair that needs to be colored.

A thick, oil-free conditioner is best for the base, I've found. The best so far was Biolage Hydrating Conditioning Balm, which I happened to already have - wouldn't normally use one that expensive for this, but, as you say, it also served as a good DT. Its knock-off GVP conditioning balm or BioInfusion CB work the same but are still a little expensive to use in this quantity. Suave Ocean Breeze is cheap and fits the bill except it's not as thick as I'd like - I end up oozing a lot of water from under the plastic cap long before the time's up. Just keep paper towels handy to blot - I don't like to use that long cotton coil/strip that you can get at beauty supply stores because it can disturb the mix I've put on my hairline grays. I also tried FOTE AVG thinking it'd be ideal, but it turned pretty runny once I mixed everything up. You can also try things like flaxseed gel, pudding and yogurt. I'd just keep whatever you use oil-free because oils can prevent the indigo from adhering.

Timing doesn't have to be exact - I'd start with no more than 30 minutes until you see how it looks on you and how your hair hangs onto the indigo in the mix. Then if that doesn't give you quite enough color, go a little longer. I left my last one on for an hour, and it's lasted longer yet wasn't too much to begin with either. You can even do another gloss immediately after the first if it didn't quite do the trick.

I like color applicator bottles with the long nozzles that you can get at beauty supply stores. I almost fill one with conditioner then add the powdered henna and indigo and shake/stir until mixed well. If you put the powder in first, it can be difficult to ever get it blended well. You can also mix everything in a bowl then put it in a plastic bag with the corner snipped off - I haven't tried it as I'm not very coordinated, LOL. Though, now that I think about it, that might be a good way to get it mixed well and then squeeze it into one of the bottles so you'd have better control applying it to your hair - hmmm, will have to try that.

If you like the glosses but still want the strengthening/conditioning/thickening benefits of henna, you can do periodic colorless cassia applications (no need to wait for dye release). Go to the Mehandi link about cassia at the top to read up about it. I plan to do this myself since my hair's feeling thinner and wimpier again since I haven't done a full henna treatment in a good while. I'll just mix it with water until the consistency of stirred-up yogurt and leave it on with a plastic cap for 3-4 hours.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you very much for all the info. Longer is better, LOL, it really helps to have more info.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file