Prenatal Vitamins

kg91308kg91308 Posts: 327Registered Users
We are going to start trying this month to get pregnant! I stopped taking my bc pills yesterday at the end of my cycle. So I'm wondering about prenatal vitamins. Any suggestions on what kind I should use? I did some research that said taking them while trying to get pregnant is a good idea. But there are so many! My SIL is pregnant, but I don't want to ask her because we don't want anyone to know we are trying in case it takes a long time. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to! :toothy10:

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Any OTC prenatal from a reputable manufacturer should be fine. Look for at least 800 mcg of folic acid.

When you are pregnant, your provider may have a more specific recommendation for you.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I never could take prenatal vits, either before or during pregnancy. They have too much iron in them for my belly comfort (I get completely stopped up from all that iron). The important nutrient is folate, or folic acid, to prevent neural-tubal defects in the fetus. As long as you take or eat folate, you'll be fine. Most commercial grain products (breads and cereals) in the USA are fortified with folic acid. Dark green leafies are another good source.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can't take them either. My doctor gave me a folic acid prescription during the first trimester. Othewise, I take Flintstones.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file