To henna or not to henna? That is the question....

curlyginniecurlyginnie Posts: 5Registered Users
OK, I'm in a dilemma. I really LOVE the idea of using henna because it's natural, no chemicals (yes, I know to get it from hennaforhair), and no protein or cones to worry about in ingredients.

BUT....I am really worried about curl loss. I love my curls (which have got markedly better since getting off protein). Are there any curlies out there who have NOT had curl loss from using henna? Is it more than a 50/50 chance of losing curl? I have used Surya henna creme in the past with no curl loss (but have since read that Surya is nearly as bad as regular box colors with regard to chemicals.)

I am intending to lighten with honey first, then henna. I can't envisage doing this any more often than every two months, as it's time consuming.

I am medium/dark brown (but been coloring red since 15), no greys yet, 3a/b, protein sensitive.

If henna is NOT a good idea, please give me some recommendations for color I can get from either Sally's or online...I can't afford to have it done professionally. I tried using Textures & Tones, and it TRASHED my hair (one of the worst coloring experiences I've had.)

Thanks!!!

Comments

• breezybabybreezybaby Posts: 347Registered Users
    Keep your henna treatments several weeks apart from each other and use amla powder after you do them.

Your curl pattern will be fine
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't had any curl loss at all from henna. The day I henna, my curls are a TAD lifeless but that's a little understandable. lol, they just spent a few hours packed in mud, after all. As soon as I cowash and condition the next day though, they're back to normal.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • curlyginniecurlyginnie Posts: 5Registered Users
    MimsTX, do you use Amla? I thought of using it, but doesn't it give a brown color? I want to be red, with not much brown.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't use amla, and I have experienced no curl loss whatsoever from straight henna. As Mims said, there is a small recovery period-my hair gets very dry, but deep moisture treatments the first couple of days brings it back to life.
  • DewPt.40DewPt.40 Posts: 100Registered Users
    I experienced a lot of curl loss and I used amla. It happened after my 2nd henna which was6 weeks after my first. I have 3A hair that WAS very porous. Now my hair has lost some of its curl and its completely different. I think b/c of the new lower porosity. I used to glob product in. Now it's weighed down and lanky with a pea sized amount. All in all I wish I hadn't hennaed. I am going to try amla glosses to bring back the curk. And I need to start researching what to do with my new hair type. My old products don't work like they used to.
    3A-fi, with 2B underlayer, fine/thin hair with some wily greys.
    Devacut 11/14/08. CG since late Sept 08.

New Experiments: CK, HoneyHemp CO, ACV Rinse, Honey, soap bar, aloe, KCCC, JC N&S, AOHR, AO GPB
    Want to try:
    Jojoba Oil or Coconut oil
    GTTT
    KBB
    KBB Super Silky
    KCNT

• kema1vkema1v Posts: 107Registered Users
    Maybe my experience is different because I'm more wavy than curly but I find that doing henna glosses actually increases curl for me. I have great hair after doing henna! Or maybe it's because I'm mixing the henna with conditioner?
    Hair type: 2c-M-ii with extra frizz
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MimsTX, do you use Amla? I thought of using it, but doesn't it give a brown color? I want to be red, with not much brown.

sorry, I lost track of this thread :/

No, never used amla. I usually mix a bit of cassia in my henna, to keep the color from going to deep but other than that, it's pretty basic.

I've only ever done 2 'full head' hennas though, about 6 months apart from one another. the rest of the time I just touch up the roots about once a month, or month and a half. That might make a difference too, if your hair's pretty porous.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • DewPt.40DewPt.40 Posts: 100Registered Users
    My hair used to be very porous, so maybe it just absorbed too much. I haven't decided what to do when my roots become noticable. Maybe I'll try a henna/amla gloss? Today I am going to try protein. It is something my hair did not respond to well before the henna. As I said my hair is COMPLETELY different after hena, and I haven't relearned it yet.
    MimsTX wrote: »

sorry, I lost track of this thread :/

No, never used amla. I usually mix a bit of cassia in my henna, to keep the color from going to deep but other than that, it's pretty basic.

I've only ever done 2 'full head' hennas though, about 6 months apart from one another. the rest of the time I just touch up the roots about once a month, or month and a half. That might make a difference too, if your hair's pretty porous.
    3A-fi, with 2B underlayer, fine/thin hair with some wily greys.
    Devacut 11/14/08. CG since late Sept 08.

New Experiments: CK, HoneyHemp CO, ACV Rinse, Honey, soap bar, aloe, KCCC, JC N&S, AOHR, AO GPB
    Want to try:
    Jojoba Oil or Coconut oil
    GTTT
    KBB
    KBB Super Silky
    KCNT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file