Total newbie to 'poo less - need help please!

wakkunwakkun Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi,

My hair is naturally curly but I went to the salon to have the japanese straightening technique done. My hair is quite flat these days.

I just tried going shampoo free today, but I am not sure if I am doing it the right way and would apprecite any input I can get.

My hair has some dandruff, and a bit itchy. Not because I don't wash it but because I do. I have been trying to just wash and condition my hair every few days now instead of everyday.

So right now, for my first time going shampoo less. I used 3 tbsp of baking soda and dissolved that in some warm water. Poured that over my hair and scalp, massaged it a bit and rinsed well.

Since my scalp is a bit itchy, I did the clarifying wash, mixed 1 tbsp of epsom salt and 2 tbsp of V05 conditioner. Massaged onto scalp and worked it for a bit and then rinsed well.

Am I doing this right. Should I continue this regimen and then when my scalp isn't itchy anymore, I should try to just do the conditioning wash. I remember reading about the apple cider vinegar rinse....

Just wondering if I am doing it right or am I just clueless. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• curlykristincurlykristin Registered Users Posts: 63 Curl Connoisseur
    When it looks like dandruff is actually your scalp and probably product that wasn't properly cleansed from your scalp. Hair naturally traps dead skin cells. This means that you must put some elbow grease into cleaning your head. use your fingers, i even use my nails (only use your own nails on your ownn head) and scrub like mad (within reason of course, don't hurt your self). ACV and Baking soda are good for cleaning the hair itself but you need to actually exfoliate those dead skin cells away. I recommend a brown sugar scrub with tea tree oil in it. I also think that when you are scrubbing your head and you get to the point where you would stop- keep going! It sounds like you aren't doing it long enough. I have been shampoo free for about five weeks and have had itchiness only once or twice. I have a lot of experience in shampooing though- i'm a former shampoo girl! so that might have helped. Keep it up and your hair will thank you. :)
    :sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
    Shea moisture high porosity cowash
    shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl conditioner 
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
    spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch
    one squirt of frizz free foam

Deep Treatment:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity masque
    aphogee keratin and green tea protein spray

Currently in recovery from too much bleach and chronic heat styling. 
  • wakkunwakkun Registered Users Posts: 2
    Curlykristin, thanks for the info. I will continue to try! After my first baking soda wash followed by the epsom salt/conditioner scrub, I feel pretty good. Just very little itchiness. Although when the salt/conditioner mixture hit the scalp this afternoon, it sting quite a bit.....
    Thanks again.
    wakkun wrote:
    Curlykristin, thanks for the info. I will continue to try! After my first baking soda wash followed by the epsom salt/conditioner scrub, I feel pretty good. Just very little itchiness. Although when the salt/conditioner mixture hit the scalp this afternoon, it sting quite a bit.....
    Thanks again.

double post
    :sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
    spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch

Deep Treatment:

wakkun wrote:
    Thanks again.

AHH! Sounds like the epsom salt is too rough for your head / or you are using it too often. I would give your scalp at LEAST 5 days or more to heal before you try a scrub again. for now, just use water or conditioner and your fingers. You definetely should not be feeling any stinging. I only scrub once a week. I also think that brown sugar might be gentler on the scalp, though i'm not sure. If you are still haveing itchiness after the epsom salt scrub I would try very very through rinsing (salt causes my scalp to itch). You might also want to try different conditioner- some people are sensitive to differnt stuff that could cause itching. make sure there are no cones in the conditioner you are using.

Day 1
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2

Deep Treatment:

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    Hey welcome to the clup of the poo free. I've been going without shampoo since last fall and I don't plan on going back. I had some major dry scalp before I started no poo and I was really worried about not "washing" my hair, but you know what after the first couple of weeks my dry scalp was almost all gone. You've got to scrub scrub scrub and be patient it may take a couple weeks for your scalp to get used to not being shampooed everyday. If you find that you are having a hard time with it don't go all no poo go like a day without shampooing and shampoo and do that for a week and then go 2 days and then 3 but I think you will love the results you get from just cowashing. I know I have.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • curlybohocurlyboho Registered Users Posts: 130
    I know the feeling. The first 2 weeks of my no-poo routine were horrible feeling. (I have been a no-pooer for 6 months) I was itchy and I felt like I had an inch of smelly build up on my head. When my scalp felt like this I took 1/8 cup of brown sugar and mixed it with my conditioner as well as a few drops of peppermint essential oil and rubed it in. Don't rub hard just gently. Rinse out really well, I usually let the water run over my hair for a min. or two to make sure I get all the sugar out. The sugar clears away build-up and the peppermint essential oil gives off a fresh smell, and a tingly clean feeling. You could use TeeTree oil too but I don't like the smell. Take heart only the first few weeks are the hardest. :roll:
    Low Porosity-Medium Density

Hair loves all sorts of proteins...my curls come to life in hot humid weather!
  • liv2dance4liv2dance4 Registered Users Posts: 129
    The only time I ever get itchy is when I use a specific product that seems to build up in my hair. I would try using less heavy products on your hair. Your hair may not need so much anymore. And the scrubbing is good advice.

HTH
    3a color-treated
    Ouidad- Curl Quencher Poo/Dish, CHS Curl Keeper, Innersense Sweet Spirit and QCCC, Climate Control Gel, Tress F/X, Redken Fresh Curls Spray Gel
  • lynnc72lynnc72 Registered Users Posts: 13
    I leave the conditioner in my hair covered with shower cap for 10-20 minutes. Then get in the shower, lather up with some water by massaging scalp gently. Rinse very very well.

This method will clean very well, even with heavy coconut oil. I didn't have any trouble easing into my no-poo routine at all. My hair feels so clean that I don't see a need to ever use poo again. And my hair looks good for the first time in my life!
    Lynn
  • charolastra00charolastra00 Registered Users Posts: 24
    I've only been shampoo free for about 2 weeks so I'm still in the occasionally itchy phase, but rinsing with apple cider vinegar really helps me. Not only does my hair get really shiny but it zapped the dandruff problem I had. It also doesn't smell once your hair dries if you rinse it really good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file