CurlTalk

Anyone have a sonicare toothbrush?

newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
So, I have this TERRIBLE fear of going to the dentist. I HATE HATE HATE the scraping. I found a dentist who uses an instrument like the "waterpik" before he scales - which greatly cuts down on the unpleasantness of my dental visit.

A friend said that her dental visits have been drastically better after buying a Sonicare toothbrush. Anyone else tried a Sonicare long-term? Any improvement at the dentist?
"Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"

Comments

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    I have one and I love it.

I did notice that my teeth felt cleaner almost immediately and that the next time I went in for a cleaning, it didn't take nearly as long. I hate the dentist too...makes me cringe when I hear the noises from the hygenists room, and just the smell of the office is enough to start a panic attack, LOL.

Anyhoo, it was a great investment, and I really like using the brush. I think flossing regularly and using the brush really cut down on my "in the chair" time.
    :rambo:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    I have one of those Braun electric toothbrushes with the 2-minute timer.

Before we bought one, I did a little research about what was out there and at the time the Braun was getting the best ratings.

I will say that my dental cleanings are not only shorter, but when I went in January I had a new hygienist that I've never met (been going to the same dentist since my first dentist visit -- so I have quite a chart there :lol:) and she commented that she couldn't believe how nice my teeth and gums were considering what she had read in my chart!

I've always had a probably with my gums, my mother has it as well. They're super sensitive and tend to bleed easily no matter what. Somehow by using the Braun that has ended and no longer happens. I can't say how much I love that toothbrush :mrgreen:
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »

I did notice that my teeth felt cleaner almost immediately and that the next time I went in for a cleaning, it didn't take nearly as long. I hate the dentist too...makes me cringe when I hear the noises from the hygenists room, and just the smell of the office is enough to start a panic attack, LOL.

Anyhoo, it was a great investment, and I really like using the brush. I think flossing regularly and using the brush really cut down on my "in the chair" time.

I know...that smell is terrible. I also hate the TASTE in my mouth for the rest of the day after I go to the dentist. It's ALMOST enough to make me schedule the dentist for the end of the day, but then I find I dread it the entire day.

Yes, going to the dentist is THAT much of an ordeal for me. I'm sure it sounds silly!!!
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    newcurly wrote: »
    M2LR wrote: »

I know...that smell is terrible. I also hate the TASTE in my mouth for the rest of the day after I go to the dentist. It's ALMOST enough to make me schedule the dentist for the end of the day, but then I find I dread it the entire day.

Yes, going to the dentist is THAT much of an ordeal for me. I'm sure it sounds silly!!!

Nope, not silly, I feel the same way.

I hate the polish crap that they use...when I was younger the grain in the polish wasn't as fine as the stuff they use now, so I felt like I'd eaten sand after getting a cleaning.

I scrub at my teeth a lot prior to the appt, sometimes even making my gums bleed.
    :rambo:
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    i have one...i love it!! dentists recommend it.

i bought mine at bed bath & beyond with a 20% off coupon. i also get my replacement brushes w/ a coupon from there...

great investment!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I love my sonicare. My father is a firm believer in it. If he thinks you don't have one, he gets you one for Christmas or your birthday.

I'm so glad he forced me to use it. My teeth are so clean and good feeling. And I like the mindless beeping that reminds me what I'm doing. (*bbbbeeeppppp* oh yeah! Time to change spots!)
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users

I've always joked that I'd much rather go to the gyno than to the dentist.

I used a Sonicare brush from 1995 until 2003. Then I switched to one of the Brauns. I don't know if using these types of brushes made a difference for me, in terms of chair time.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I have one and love it too. I am prone to heavy tarter build up and this definitely helps.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »

I used a Sonicare brush from 1995 until 2003. Then I switched to one of the Brauns. I don't know if using these types of brushes made a difference for me, in terms of chair time.

That is so funny - I have always said that too and I really really mean it.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    medussa wrote: »
    xcptnl wrote: »
    That is so funny - I have always said that too and I really really mean it.

As my friend would say "totes.com" - gyno >>>>> dentist.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Another vote for the Sonicare.

I had to go without one for about a year and it felt like my teeth were never really clean.
    Hah! I think you guys have settled it!

I'm calling my dentist to get one tomorrow (he doesn't push them, but if you buy through him he gives it to you at his cost - about half price)!!!
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    I hate my Sonicare! But I don't have a lot of oral health problems.
    I hate my Sonicare! But I don't have a lot of oral health problems.
    Why do you hate it?
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i have one and love it too. we just got ours for christmas so no one has been back to the dentist yet, but i could tell a difference after the first time i used it.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    I work for a dentist & he told me the reason he suggests an electric toothbrush is because a lot of people are agressive brushers & this makes the gum line recede. I'm guilty of this. I asked him to recommend one to me & he said they all work & not to spend too much money on it, but not to rely on a battery operated one. He said flossing is really the key to a healthy mouth. Plus either a warm salt water rinse or listerine.

I, personally, use an electric toothbrush & I brush with a paste of baking soda & peroxide. I brush 3xs per day & floss 2xs per day. I also use listerine 2xs per day. :toothy6:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    A few months after getting my Sonicare I went to the dentist, and after looking at my teeth, he said, "Oh, you got a Sonicare!"

Yes, it makes a difference. Way less scaling.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    He said flossing is really the key to a healthy mouth. Plus either a warm salt water rinse or listerine.

I, personally, use an electric toothbrush & I brush with a paste of baking soda & peroxide. I brush 3xs per day & floss 2xs per day. I also use listerine 2xs per day. :toothy6:

I've used the Sonicare for at least 15 years with marked improvement. I am a plaque builder and go every three months. I floss at least twice a day. Using the listerine 2xs per day for at least 30 seconds has really cut done on the plaque.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Novice
    newcurly, don't worry about your fear of dentists.. cause dearie I have you beat!! I just recently went to the dentist after not going for over 10 years!!

I have had horrible experiences in the past and had a real fear of them..almost to the point of terror! finally about a month ago I was having this pain in my tooth and finally after much proding from my hubby went to the one he goes to and am really happy with her!!

I had to have a pretty good gum scaling (which was the reason for the pain (the gum not the tooth) (7+ shots of novacaine) which left my mouth really numb but I am so glad I went and would you believe I only have 2 problems after 10 years.. 1 cavity and 1 broken filling that needs to be replaced.. other than that I'm good!

sorry I went and rambled....

Now to your original question about electric toothbrush I was a cheapie and bought the colgate battery powered one (bought one for work and one for home) I LOVE IT!! 200.JPG

the Sonicare probably is better but for me I like the cheaper one!

GOOD LUCK!!

D
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Does the sonicare just a type of electric toothbrush, or does it use water pressure to clean?
    It's an electric toothbrush. The waterpik is the one that uses water pressure to clean. My dentist uses an industrial strength one to clean my teeth and I like it SO much better than scaling. I have one at home and use it a couple times a week. It works really well when you've had Mexican or Italian and the taste is stuck in your mouth and brushing/flossing won't get rid of it. I like to put a little listerine into the tank of water - makes my mouth feel very clean.

My sister HATES flossing - she won't do it at all. Her dentist has her use the waterpik. He says it's not as good as flossing, but if she truly won't floss then it's 2nd best.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Does the sonicare just a type of electric toothbrush, or does it use water pressure to clean?

It doesn't use water pressure. It's an electric toothbrush that's supposed to also use sonic waves to remove debris. I don't know if that's a real benefit. I suspect any decent electric toothbrush would have similar results.
    I may try this again. I'm one of those ferocious brushers who tears up her gums.

I think it's a hang over from my past life as a dog.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Another dentist-phobe here. Lots of poor dental care as a kid, lots of cavities (my sisters never had any. I have fillings in nearly every tooth!) and a crazy dentist even removed a molar without Novacaine! I didn't go to the dentist for many years after that.
    I still fight the phobia but it's gotten a lot better.

Anyway, enough horror stories. I love my Sonicare. Much less time spent getting my teeth cleaned and that's a great thing!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    A reversal:

Love the dentist; hate the gyn visits. That internal poking and scraping for my annual pap ---- ick.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Funny story —

I was having breakfast at a restaurant with this guy I'm seeing and we started talking about our various issues with needles and doctors and stuff.

So I started saying how I didn't deal well with doctor's visits of any kind, except for the OB/GYN. I said, "I would much rather have someone poking around down there with a speculum than someone poking me with a needle."

Right as I said the word "speculum" the waiter walked up to see how our food was. He heard that one word, turned on his heel and walked away.

:laughing6:

[He came back again a bit later to check on us. We left him a nice tip. :wink:]
    I stopped by my dentist's office to pick mine up today :D.

It's charging right now!
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Funny story —

I was having breakfast at a restaurant with this guy I'm seeing and we started talking about our various issues with needles and doctors and stuff.

So I started saying how I didn't deal well with doctor's visits of any kind, except for the OB/GYN. I said, "I would much rather have someone poking around down there with a speculum than someone poking me with a needle."

Right as I said the word "speculum" the waiter walked up to see how our food was. He heard that one word, turned on his heel and walked away.

:laughing6:

[He came back again a bit later to check on us. We left him a nice tip. :wink:]

I wonder what he thought about as he walked away......
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I had and LOVED the Sonicare Intelliclean. Sadly, they stopped selling the toothpaste for it and then it died on its own. I need to get a new one, my mouth just feels so much cleaner when I use it instead of a regular toothbrush.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users
    I have a sonic care brush and I love it. My periodontist recommends sonic care and regular flossing. He discourages very strongly the use of a waterpik unless one has braces. He says the waterpik actually causes more damage to the gums by pushing gunky stuff further past the gumline.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.