We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Your opinion on the bowing

CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
Obama bowed to the Saudi Arabian king.
To me, the ruler of any nation is equal to other rulers. If the country were a 'bowing' country, meaning bowing as a greeting, I wouldn't see a problem. However, it's my understanding in Saudi culture one bows to show subservience. By the leader of the US bowing to another nation's leader, it looks like he's putting himself under the authority of the other person.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equal respect of customs, but it doesn't look like anyone else equal to the President bowed.
Opinions?
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
«1

Comments

  • 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I don't think Obama should have done that, that was definitely a bad move. But hey, it just shows his true colors he is weak, subverviet, and still has ties to his muslim religion. So I'm not the least surpised by his constant idiotic bloopers.


    Ass_Kisser_Gum_Front.jpg
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    [Yup. There it is. Was just waiting for it.]
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    3cCurly - That's really unnecessary. :angry3:

    Cricket - I don't like that he bowed at all. He really needs to get that Office of Protocol up and running ASAP!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    3cCurly, I don't think that's necessary.

    I read somewhere (no sources, sorry) that the protocol people have served the last two administrations, so they know better.
    I really wonder if he's as bad at ad libbing as I am. Like he had a moment of, "I know I'm supposed to do something, but what? I know!" then bowed.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I think he completely goofed. It's too bad.

    But what I really don't like that the WH is trying to say he didn't bow. He clearly did.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I think he completely goofed. It's too bad.

    But what I really don't like that the WH is trying to say he didn't bow. He clearly did.

    I know, I'm seeing that too. I've watched the video clip over and over. He bowed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    I don't like it, not one little bit. But, for some reason I can't put my finger on, it almost seemed patronizing...
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    3c, I have to agree. That's not neccessary. Let's try to keep it civil. No matter how good your point may be, it loses all of its meaning when that kind of stuff is pulled out. Just think about it this way, how effect were arguments against GWB or the GOP in general when the discussion went *there*?
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    Oh, and as for the bowing... what the hell was he thinking? I could understand if it were a reciprocal social custom, but in this case it wasn't. I neither like nor appreciate the President (this one, or any who come after him) bowing down to the leader of another nation.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    "One does not bow or curtsy to a foreign monarch because the gesture symbolizes recognition of her power over her subjects." - Miss Manners

    :shock: ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    Has anyone else heard the rumor that spokespeople are saying it wasn't a bow, but rather a "dip" because Obama is so much taller than the king? Really? Really?
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard the rumor that spokespeople are saying it wasn't a bow, but rather a "dip" because Obama is so much taller than the king? Really? Really?

    Yes, that assertion from the White House doesn't even pass the smell test. The move is even being characterized as a bow on an Arabic website:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Faawsat.com%2Fenglish%2Fnews.asp%3Fsection%3D2%26amp%3Bid%3D16327" class="Popup

    Apologies in advance if I did not source properly...;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    I don't like it, not one little bit. But, for some reason I can't put my finger on, it almost seemed patronizing...

    I agree.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I'm really ok with it. I suppose I can understand why others aren't so keen on it, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

    And, shockingly, 3cC is completely out of line and offensive. Never would have seen that coming.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That was a low bow. He only inclined his head to Queen Elizabeth. What's with the bowing from the waist to the Saudi King???
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    ZZ72682359.jpg

    Is this GWB bowing? Or is the king putting something around his neck?
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    Well, that was awkward! What a terrible bow. It looked like he dropped something on the floor as he was reaching for his hand.

    I don't get why he thought it was appropriate to bow either. Hm...

    Also, in that picture StephS, it looks like the king is putting something around Bush's neck...
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    It was a rookie mistake. He shouldn't be bowing to anyone, and I think he goofed here.

    I don't think its anything more serious than that.

    GWB may have never publicly bowed to the king of SA, but pretty much bent over backwards for the guy in private.
  • 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Oh my, here comes the nagging horty torty campaign, the I'm so dignified crowd I have to jump on the bandwagon and stress how unnecessary the pic was so I won't lose cool points!

    Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze get some individuality already....

    The Pic is a joke, so laugh or get over it.

    Obama is a brown-noser among many things you should accept that fact and move on with your life.

    Geez...

    I still don't understand how people got suckered into voting for this fool...
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    Again, your point (and no, not these "cool points" to which you refer) is completely lost because of your approach. I think enough people have mentioned this to you, but if you refuse to get it, then you just refuse to get it.

    And it's "hoity toity", not "horty torty".
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Yep, horty torty. That's me. :laughing6:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    So are we less safe because he bowed? Was there are direct relationship between the depth of his bow and degree to which the Dow fell on that day? I'm trying to determine the relevance.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I thought I would post this Washington Times Editorial which explains, brilliantly, why the bow is much more than a blatant violation of American protocol. For the record, I would be just as bothered by this if it were done by a Republican President.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtontimes.com%2Fnews%2F2009%2Fapr%2F07%2Fbarack-takes-a-bow%2F" class="Popup
    EDITORIAL: Barack takes a bow
    The president shows fealty to a Muslim king

    By | Tuesday, April 7, 2009


    In a shocking display of fealty to a foreign potentate, President Obama bowed to Saudi King Abdullah at the Group of 20 summit in London last week.

    Mr. Obama later said in Strasbourg, France, "We have to change our behavior in showing the Muslim world greater respect." Symbolism is important in world affairs. By bending over to show greater respect to Islam, the U.S. president belittled the power and independence of the United States.

    The bow was an extraordinary protocol violation. Such an act is a traditional obeisance befitting a king's subjects, not his peer. There is no precedent for U.S. presidents bowing to Saudi or any other royals. Former President Franklin D. Roosevelt shook hands with Saudi King Abdulaziz in February 1945. Granted, Mr. Roosevelt was wheelchair-bound, but former President Dwight D. Eisenhower shook hands when he first met King Saud in January 1957. Mr. Obama's bow to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques does not help his image with those who believe he is secretly a Muslim, and why he chose to bow only to the Saudi King and not to any other royals remains unexplained.

    No Americans of any station are required to bow to royalty. It is one of the pillars of American exceptionalism that our country rejected traditional caste divisions. Article I Section 9 of the Constitution forbids titles of nobility and stipulates that no officeholder or government employee may "accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state" without the consent of Congress. Judith Martin wrote in her Miss Manners column in 2001 that bowing "is not an ordinary bit of foreign etiquette one might adopt out of courtesy when traveling. ... Americans do not properly bow to any royalty. We show respect for other countries' leaders the same way we do to our own."

    Press outlets have been conspicuously silent on Mr. Obama's bow. Compare this to the New York Times' reaction when former President Bill Clinton inclined a bit too far when meeting Japanese Emperor Akihito in 1994. According to the Gray Lady, "The image on the South Lawn was indelible: an obsequent president, and the Emperor of Japan." Former President George W. Bush received thorough press attention after being photographed holding hands with then-Crown Prince Abdullah in 2005. "It clearly strikes a nerve," CBS News reported, while David Letterman satirized Mr. Bush as "officially the gayest president since Lincoln." These two cases were tame compared to Mr. Obama's full-out genuflection, which makes us wonder why it is not worthy of comment.

    Mr. Obama is proving that one can be elected president without knowing how to behave presidentially. His servile gesture was fully fitting with the tone of his humility tour of Europe. In his eagerness to be loved personally, the president has lost sight of the fact that the leader of the free world also must be respected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    Yeah, i think you're going to get dinged for using the WT as a source, pam. :mrgreen:
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote: »
    Yeah, i think you're going to get dinged for using the WT as a source, pam. :mrgreen:

    Yeah, I knew when I posted that, somebody would get their panties in a wad, but I am more than over trying to satisfy the "Source Police" for posting something on a hair forum. It's a HAIR FORUM people!!! :laughing6:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    Why don't YOU get over him being president?
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I don't like that he bowed.

    TANGENT AHEAD:
    I'm also not a huge fan of SA. I love how we tout women's rights when it comes to the war in Afghanistan/defeating the Taliban and yet there's never a peep about how women are treated in SA because SA is our ally.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    gemini, I agree.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    gemini wrote: »
    I don't like that he bowed.

    TANGENT AHEAD:
    I'm also not a huge fan of SA. I love how we tout women's rights when it comes to the war in Afghanistan/defeating the Taliban and yet there's never a peep about how women are treated in SA because SA is our ally.

    I agree, too. Last week I read about Saudi women boycotting lingerie stores because the way law is interpreted there only men can work even in lingerie stores. I hope their point gets across.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Wow, a link to the Washington Times. And an editorial, no less.

    Color me impressed.







    :mrgreen:
    misspam wrote: »
    Scarlet wrote: »
    Yeah, i think you're going to get dinged for using the WT as a source, pam. :mrgreen:

    Yeah, I knew when I posted that, somebody would get their panties in a wad, but I am more than over trying to satisfy the "Source Police" for posting something on a hair forum. It's a HAIR FORUM people!!! :laughing6:

    True, but you're just not going to convince anyone of anything with that ish. That's the point.

    When people get down on you for backing up your argument with blatantly biased sources, it's not being "The Source Police." It's irritation because you're basically wasting their time with that crap.

    Offer up a moderate opinion piece. Or speak your own mind. That'd work better.

    ETA: I think what it comes down to: do you want to persuade people, or do you just want to "be right" [or feel like you are].
«1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file