new to this board..

spoiledcoilsspoiledcoils Posts: 145Registered Users
Well, I'm definitely new to this part of nc.com...

Just took 2 pregnancy tests today (including one that told me the result in both french and english!) to find out that despite being on the pill for 4 years, I am pregnant at the age of 21. I'm so in shock right now, I don't even know what to do. I went to the doctor this morning and had a blood test but he basically said the hpts don't lie.

I guess I don't really have a question, or anything to say...just had to tell someone, and the anonymity of the internet is appealing right now.

Any kind words would be really appreciated right now.
Currently loving:
Deva Red One Condition
Nexxus Emergencee
Deva HIH
GDLI
KCCC

:love5:
Working on repairing my spoiled coils!

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I can't really tell the spirit of your post, but since you were on the pill, I assume this was a surprise. I hope you're happy though too.

Parenthood has been a wonderful experience, and I hope you find it to be too. Do you have a steady partner to help you out? Is your family going to be supportive?

Regardless, good luck and best wishes. Feel free to ask lots of questions. And congratulations!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • spoiledcoilsspoiledcoils Posts: 145Registered Users
    I was nervous posting here and making it too obvious that this was not intended in anyway because I don't want to offend anyone who is trying to get pregnant.

The situation has caught me quite off guard, and I need some time to digest and figure out what I'm going to do. Unfortunately, the father and I split up recently. We had a very happy relationship the whole time and have left on reasonably good terms, and have both talked of potentially trying again in the future since our breakup was more to do with timing than anything else. That being said, I am still terrified to tell him.

I'm basically just terrified all around. The doctor said I needed to think about what I wanted to do...but I have no idea how to make that kind of decision.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
    .png

.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats on the pregnancy. I hope you are able to peacefully come to a decision on your next step. Good luck.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    best of luck to you and welcome to the board
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    spoiledcoils,

how are you doing?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower,
    Thanks for asking! It's definitely been a rough week, a lot of tears and many sleepless nights. The shock is finally starting to wear off and I'm now just trying to figure out what to do.
    I'm just overwhelmed at the decision I have to make. I've been to see a counselor at my university but didn't find her to be particularly helpful so I think I may go to Planned Parenthood and speak to someone there.
    My ex has been really supportive and came over a couple of nights last week when I was really upset. Even though he was out of town for Easter, he called me everyday to check on me as well. Although his initial reaction was to not keep the baby, he seems to have changed his mind a bit over the weekend. Or at least, he is thinking about both options equally.
    It's very early, and I still don't know what I'm feeling...I'm just in a bit of limbo right now. However, until any kind of decision has been made, I am trying to look after myself, taking prenatals, eating well and I will be seeing an ob-gyn next week.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    (((hugs)))
    g/l whatever you decide...
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I'm sorry you're having a rough time with this. I wish you all the best. We're here if you need support.
    Thank you all for the kind words.
    I have not found a lot of support from my friends, or at least, not the kind of support that I need. They are far more willing to push their own opinions than listen to me. I'm just very frustrated right now and have been hurt by some of the things they've said to me, so I'm trying to keep this to myself as much as possible.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

Also, I have my first OB-GYN appointment on Wednesday. Based on when I think the baby was conceived, I'll be about 6 weeks. Any tips on what I should expect to happen at the appointment?
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    I copied and pasted this from another website. Your appointment may vary but this will give you a general idea. I didn't have an internal exam my first OB appointment.

-The beginning of your appointment will be the same or similar to all other appointments and it not invasive. You can expect to be weighed, blood pressure taken, your lungs and heart checked, and you will be asked to give a urine sample.

-Your medical history and your family medical history will be taken. Based on the answers to these questions, your doctor may suggest various tests, a certain diet, or specialty care.

-At the first appointment you may be fully undressed so your breasts can be examined in addition to an internal exam. The internal exam is to check the uterus position, size, and shape. While this is important it is also very uncomfortable, and your doctor know this and should try and make it as comfortable as possible.

-Blood tests are common with the first appointment. They will check for blood count to check for pregnancy hormone levels and a few other conditions that may cause problems.

-Depending on how far along you are, you may also get to hear your baby’s heartbeat through a hand held Doppler. This will be used with some gel on your abdomen and will pick up the heartbeat sometime after 10 weeks, although the exact time varies with each pregnancy and woman.

-You may be given a prescription for prenatal vitamins and any information you may need at that point, such as when you next appointment will be. You can also use this time to ask questions you may have.

.png

.png
    Thanks imagen.
    I'm getting kind of anxious to go, I'm not even sure why.
    Is it fairly common for your SO to come with you? I've asked the father (who I guess technically isn't my SO...) to come with me. I get a bit shy around doctors and don't remember all my questions, so I thought it might help to have him there.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    At my first appointment they drew blood, took a history, talked to me, etc. They would have done a Pap if it had been a year since my last (but I had one about 6 months earlier so I requested that I don't do another).

I go to a midwife, there it is very common for the fathers (well the whole family) to go to the appt.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Thanks imagen.
    I'm getting kind of anxious to go, I'm not even sure why.
    Is it fairly common for your SO to come with you? I've asked the father (who I guess technically isn't my SO...) to come with me. I get a bit shy around doctors and don't remember all my questions, so I thought it might help to have him there.

Yes, my mom and/or my husband came to all my appointments for my first pregnancy.

I also sometimes make a list of questions or concerns to take to the doctor. That way I don't forget anything. Usually just writing them down gets them committed to memory so I'm not actually whipping out a piece of paper, but I have the list in my purse just in case.
    ehLB.jpg
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    With my first pregnancy my husband attended the first few appointments, but once he realized they are sort of boring, he quit coming. I wasn't offended. He did come to the ultrasounds though.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom came to most of them...hubby came to the big ones...I thought it was important :dontknow:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I had an unplanned pregnancy too so I can relate to the shock and conflicting emotions. It's tough, especially when people aren't supportive. Good luck with whatever you decide.

My first prenatal appointment was uneventful. They took blood and did a pelvic exam (pretty much like you would have at your annual gynecology exam). Some offices will give you an early ultrasound.

Best wishes to you.

ETA My husband came with me to most of the prenatal appointments. You can certainly bring the dad, a friend or a family member with you.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sigi wrote: »
    With my first pregnancy my husband attended the first few appointments, but once he realized they are sort of boring, he quit coming. I wasn't offended. He did come to the ultrasounds though.

Same here. With our second...he didn't even come to the early appointments...knowing how bored he would be.
    So I had the appointment today, and (as many of you said) it was pretty uneventful. The doctor was really nice and friendly. He asked me about where I work, where I go to school, my age, family medical history as well as the father's medical history, age etc. He was really understanding about the situation but suggested that we should really make up our minds within the next two weeks.
    I had no exams or blood taken or anything, he just scheduled an ultrasound in two weeks and another appointment with him. Even though I know there won't be much to see, I am super excited for the ultrasound to be honest.
    Before I was feeling very 50/50 about what I wanted but I am feeling more certain that I think keeping the baby may be the right thing for me. My ex and I talked about it some more, although it seems that just as I am slightly leaning one way, he is slightly leaning the other.
    Anyway, just thought I'd update since so many of you were kind enough to respond. It's been a day of ups and downs and I'm totally exhausted and overwhelmed at this point. All the talking meant a lot of tears for me, so I'm just going to try to go to bed early and stop thinking about it for now.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    spoiledcoils - I just sent you a private message
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png