Cheap ingredients and cheap recipes

What are some cheap ingredients and cheap recipes???
the only cheap thing i know is evoo and honey and i need somethin that i can get from the grocery store that wouldnt cost more than $4 for one item.
Guess what........ WE ARE ALL IGNORANT
HAIR CHALLENGE
ACCEPT PEOPLES HAIR REGARDLESS IF IT'S NATURAL OR CHEMICALLY ALTERED ! that is probable the hardest thing anyone can do

Comments

• notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    I'd be interested in this as well. I hope someone posts something to help. I'm on a tight budget so if there are good ingredients out there it would be great to know:thumbright:
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• peanutbutter.brownsugarNApeanutbutter.brownsugarNA Posts: 158Registered Users
    notegal wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this as well. I hope someone posts something to help. I'm on a tight budget so if there are good ingredients out there it would be great to know:thumbright:

You dont have to tell me about a tight budget, my budget is so tight i'm stealin hair care products from my mom!!! College students have it worse financially.

I will say this, taking old conditioners and adding oils to it make it a little better.
    HAIR CHALLENGE
    ACCEPT PEOPLES HAIR REGARDLESS IF IT'S NATURAL OR CHEMICALLY ALTERED ! that is probable the hardest thing anyone can do
  • InfraredheadInfraredhead Posts: 335Registered Users
    I like to add grapeseed oil ($3.98 for a small container) to my Suave Vanilla Floral conditioner (99 cents) for a deep treatment. I bet you could score some olive oil for even less. I use around 1/4 amount oil to 3/4 amount conditioner. You may have to change those amounts depending on your hair.

There are a ton of recipes on this forum with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. If all else fails, there is always the 99 cent store where you can buy Vo5 and Suave conditioners.

Bless you college students. I still remember sleeping on a mattress right on the floor for years and using milk crates for furniture. Good times!
    Mod CG since April of 2007.
    I like to add grapeseed oil ($3.98 for a small container) to my Suave Vanilla Floral conditioner (99 cents) for a deep treatment. I bet you could score some olive oil for even less. I use around 1/4 amount oil to 3/4 amount conditioner. You may have to change those amounts depending on your hair.

There are a ton of recipes on this forum with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. If all else fails, there is always the 99 cent store where you can buy Vo5 and Suave conditioners.

Bless you college students. I still remember sleeping on a mattress right on the floor for years and using milk crates for furniture. Good times!

Well...I'm a poor college graduate just getting on my feet and hoping to land a new job so being cheap is my style for now. :colors:
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• mesocurlymesocurly Posts: 58Registered Users
    Here's some things I use when on a tight budget. Baking soda for cleaning and getting rid of product buildup on hair. ACV for a final rinse. Suave for condish. It was worth it to splurge on shea butter as a little goes a long way. Glycerin and water made a great spritz last summer too. I also have tried honey, molassas, coconut milk add ins. Haven't gotten around to trying the yogurt recipe yet, but have heard great things about it. Most of these can be purchased for a few bucks or so.

There are a lot of threads here with great recipes.

HTH
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    coconut milk
    mayo
    eggs
    honey
    evoo
    yogurt
    baby food(bananas)
    avocado(for DT)
    rosemary and sage dried(great for rinse)
    tea(for tea rinses)
    paprika(red color boost)

I'm sure all those things are under $5, they are more like under $3
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

That's really helpful mzmillion!

We should make this thread a sticky or something. I'm sure there a many people on the forum that would find it helpful when trying to purchase things on a budget.
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

I know there are alot of great recipes, but most of these recipes are way out of my bugdet (well my favorite ones, like eos and aloe vera juice) So I want all the cheap stuff all together, lol.

Thanks Mzmillion, I never thought of baby food, i'm so busy eatin my nieces food, never thought to use it for my hair!

I use my moms neutralizing shampoo to remove buildup and a mixture of honey, hot six oil (optional, i use it for everything), evoo, and lemon extract (expensive, but my mom buys it!) for an overnight conditioner.

I'll try anything thats not too much protein and is not made up of chemicals.
    HAIR CHALLENGE
    I forgot to add flax seeds for your own gel...
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mzmillion wrote: »
    coconut milk
    mayo
    eggs
    honey
    evoo
    yogurt
    baby food(bananas)
    avocado(for DT)
    rosemary and sage dried(great for rinse)
    tea(for tea rinses)
    paprika(red color boost)

I'm sure all those things are under $5, they are more like under $3
    mz would you mind posting how you use the Paprika? When I searched for old threads it only came up with 1 and it was for growth not color boost?
    Thx!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • vkb247vkb247 Posts: 266Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know there are alot of great recipes, but most of these recipes are way out of my bugdet (well my favorite ones, like eos and aloe vera juice) So I want all the cheap stuff all together, lol.

Thanks Mzmillion, I never thought of baby food, i'm so busy eatin my nieces food, never thought to use it for my hair!

I use my moms neutralizing shampoo to remove buildup and a mixture of honey, hot six oil (optional, i use it for everything), evoo, and lemon extract (expensive, but my mom buys it!) for an overnight conditioner.

Be careful with that lemon extract it can be drying and might lighten your hair color.

Everything is made of chemicals.
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Coconut oil - you can get this from the asian grocery.
    Sesame oil - again from the asian grocery
    Chamomile - from the hispanic grocery

And I'm with mzmillon, probably all under $3
    morrighu wrote: »
    Coconut oil - you can get this from the asian grocery.
    Sesame oil - again from the asian grocery
    Chamomile - from the hispanic grocery

And I'm with mzmillon, probably all under $3

You can find these oils online as well. :happy7:
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sunflower oil is very conditioning. It's at Whole Foods between $4-6.

Agave Nectar is there also and is a less sticky substitute for honey.

Vegetable glycerin may be a part of any recipe. It's a humectant.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    I had no clue coconut and sesame oils were that reasonable.

I thought shea butter (refined and unrefined) would be super expensive but I went to C&C beauty supply store and found black soap, gylcerine (as noted before) under $5 dollars
    HAIR CHALLENGE
    Del,
    I use the paprika in conjunction with my henna but you can add it and cornstarch together with maybe a tip of oil and then add it to your hair and sit with it. I'm sure sitting under a dryer would be better. The cornstarch just helps thicken. I have some recipes on my fotki, on for my homemade hair color...lol. I also heard that red teas mixed with it helps to like black cherry, raspberry. If you do a paprika boost, let me know, I want to know how it turns out.

Shea is pretty cheap, about $5 where I am and it last long. I started using a mango butter soap bar and its great. Check out your barber shops for these soaps and butters, and oils because I know a lot of black barber shops carry them.
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mzmillion wrote: »
    Del,
    I use the paprika in conjunction with my henna but you can add it and cornstarch together with maybe a tip of oil and then add it to your hair and sit with it. I'm sure sitting under a dryer would be better. The cornstarch just helps thicken. I have some recipes on my fotki, on for my homemade hair color...lol. I also heard that red teas mixed with it helps to like black cherry, raspberry. If you do a paprika boost, let me know, I want to know how it turns out.

Shea is pretty cheap, about $5 where I am and it last long. I started using a mango butter soap bar and its great. Check out your barber shops for these soaps and butters, and oils because I know a lot of black barber shops carry them.
    THANKS mz!! I will let you know how this works and can't wait to check out your recipes! Thanks for letting us know...
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    vkb247 wrote: »

Be careful with that lemon extract it can be drying and might lighten your hair color.

Everything is made of chemicals.

You are absolutely right. I remember when they told me that in chemistry and that everything was made up of atoms i nearly freakedo out!!!

the lemon extract took less than a week to put honey brown highlights in my hair with the perm and my natural hair is so strong, i love it :)

And also i would love to add the baking soda. Talk about a serious chemical, it was stronger than the neautralizing shampoo and made my hair so easy to detangle i could believe it.
    and like the old saying goes, less is better and dont let your eyes get too big!!!
    HAIR CHALLENGE
  • vkb247vkb247 Posts: 266Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like the Cherry Lola Treatment (yogurt, amino acids, and baking soda). I swear that this loosened my texture!

Interesting about the lemon. I am about to start hennaing and I really want the color to show. But the lemon probably won't do me any good after I start hennaing...
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
    vkb247 wrote: »
    Sounds like the Cherry Lola Treatment (yogurt, amino acids, and baking soda). I swear that this loosened my texture!

Interesting about the lemon. I am about to start hennaing and I really want the color to show. But the lemon probably won't do me any good after I start hennaing...

You never know about the henna. Ive been doing light reading on my dream ingredient, henna, and acid seems to play a huge role.

Another texture loosener i would say the coconut and lime.

the orginal is can of coconut milk and juices of two limes mixed together left in the fridge till cream appears on top. Smooth cream through hair and rinse... somethin like that.

What i did: coconut cream *cheap brand and messy* less than half the package and less than 2/3 cup of apple juice mixed with equal parts apple cider vinegar.

Curls never been easier to detangle, and i dont get alot of knots and what nots!!!
    HAIR CHALLENGE
  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    I'm loving this thread! I know Whole Foods carries lots of oils but a little pricey
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    i just found this website..

http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/StoreFront

It says it sells wholesale and the prices look good to me!
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    If you go to the latin ethnic food section of your local market, you can find small packets of herbs that hair great for your Hair:
    rosmary
    Chamomile flowers
    Horsetail (Shave Grass)
    Rosehip seed
    red clover
    lavender
    Arnica
    Catnip
    I love to make an herbal hair tea spritz, and herb infused acv rise for my hair. Also Grapseed oil and aloe vera juice great to give normal products a boost or to make your own mixes
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • pandoraspoxxpandoraspoxx Posts: 248Registered Users
    I love this site...i amtaking lots of notes...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file