CurlTalk

What's the secret to CK?

I've found the balance of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] & BRHG (yay me!) but now I'm finding all these rave reveiws of CK. Awhile ago I bought a sample size & I cannot for the life of me get this stuff to wow me. :)
It gives me a ton of frizz and zero hold (which is what the gel is for anyway). I've tried putting it on over my leave in and under BRHG and also LA looks. No dice. Any input?
3a/b course shoulder length bob
Low Poo: GTTT
Condish: Giovanni 50/50, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, KCKT, LVPNG
Styling: Condish as a leave in, KCCC & BRHG, AOMM
Scrunching with CLU towels
Currently trying & not really liking: Ohm SHP or DMCCB...still experimenting, I guess

Comments

  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
    Well, when I went to the Curly Hair Institute, the stylist told me:

    (1) you need to put it on your hair when your hair is pretty much soaking wet
    (2) you need to use a generous amount.
    Now, I watched how much she put in, and it was a lot, like a small palmful of the stuff. Then she combed it through.

    But I know other people use it differently and get good results. I use it how the stylist told me to, and I really really love it.
    Hope that helps!
    pw: curlie
  • Laney1Laney1 Posts: 308Registered Users
    I can't go without my CK. My hair is just below my shoulders (3b) and I take small sections and apply a puddle to each. Probably about seven sections as I go around my head.

    So, I do think the key is to saturate your hair with it. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink] over it or another gel, etc.

    Some of us swear by it and others don't like it, so, it really depends on how your hair reacts to the CK.
    3B, with some 3C
  • CurlyRaeCurlyRae Posts: 129Registered Users
    I think I am one of the few people who was not completely taken with CK. The first day I used it, it was like a miracle. My looked the best it had ever looked. But that only lasted one day. It never happened again. And every day I used it my hair got worse and worse.

    After lots of trials and tribulations :banghead: I finally figured out that my hair has a problem with glycerin. And CK has A LOT of glycerin in it.
    I have med/coarse 3a/b curls with low porosity and normal elasticity. Thank you Live Curly Live Free!!

    Basically CG since '06

    Protein is my enemy :evil5:

    Mag. Sulfate gives me serious frizz :eek:

    Loving: JCWDT, KCKT & KCCC :laughing6:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyrae%2F" class="Popup
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    CurlyRae wrote: »
    I think I am one of the few people who was not completely taken with CK. The first day I used it, it was like a miracle. My looked the best it had ever looked. But that only lasted one day. It never happened again. And every day I used it my hair got worse and worse.

    After lots of trials and tribulations :banghead: I finally figured out that my hair has a problem with glycerin. And CK has A LOT of glycerin in it.
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. Kailah you've got to take into consideration the climate you live in too and like was already stated you have to be generous with it. I just started using it again and 2 puddles is plenty for me right now but in the Summer and high Humidity I use about 6 puddles, if I don't use enough my hair is just POOOF.
    Discovered CG 2007

    2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

    Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

    I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

    My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:


    CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. Kailah you've got to take into consideration the climate you live in too and like was already stated you have to be generous with it. I just started using it again and 2 puddles is plenty for me right now but in the Summer and high Humidity I use about 6 puddles, if I don't use enough my hair is just POOOF.
    How fast do you go through it then? Yikes...should I stock up?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. Kailah you've got to take into consideration the climate you live in too and like was already stated you have to be generous with it. I just started using it again and 2 puddles is plenty for me right now but in the Summer and high Humidity I use about 6 puddles, if I don't use enough my hair is just POOOF.
    How fast do you go through it then? Yikes...should I stock up?
    1/2 a liter last Summer so yes I surely stocked up last curlmart sale!

    ETA: That was doing my hair every 3rd day Jess
    Discovered CG 2007

    2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

    Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

    I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

    My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:


    CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    DEL2C wrote: »
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. Kailah you've got to take into consideration the climate you live in too and like was already stated you have to be generous with it. I just started using it again and 2 puddles is plenty for me right now but in the Summer and high Humidity I use about 6 puddles, if I don't use enough my hair is just POOOF.
    How fast do you go through it then? Yikes...should I stock up?
    1/2 a liter last Summer so yes I surely stocked up last curlmart sale!

    ETA: That was doing my hair every 3rd day Jess
    Ahhhh...I'll never get away with every 3 days. We spend all summer by the pool. I'm keeping an eye out for their next sale.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    How fast do you go through it then? Yikes...should I stock up?
    1/2 a liter last Summer so yes I surely stocked up last curlmart sale!

    ETA: That was doing my hair every 3rd day Jess
    Ahhhh...I'll never get away with every 3 days. We spend all summer by the pool. I'm keeping an eye out for their next sale.

    I style my hair daily, and use about 3 palm-sized puddles of CK. When I use it every day it takes me about 4 months to go through a liter bottle.
    Brooklyn, NY

    Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

    fotki pw= crrrls
  • KailahKailah Posts: 62Registered Users
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    DEL2C wrote: »
    1/2 a liter last Summer so yes I surely stocked up last curlmart sale!

    ETA: That was doing my hair every 3rd day Jess
    Ahhhh...I'll never get away with every 3 days. We spend all summer by the pool. I'm keeping an eye out for their next sale.

    I style my hair daily, and use about 3 palm-sized puddles of CK. When I use it every day it takes me about 4 months to go through a liter bottle.

    Ok. Wow. Well, for starters, I'm not using enough!! And I think I'll wait for a little warmer weather, too. Thanks girls!
    3a/b course shoulder length bob
    Low Poo: GTTT
    Condish: Giovanni 50/50, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, KCKT, LVPNG
    Styling: Condish as a leave in, KCCC & BRHG, AOMM
    Scrunching with CLU towels
    Currently trying & not really liking: Ohm SHP or DMCCB...still experimenting, I guess
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Posts: 207Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    CurlyRae wrote: »
    After lots of trials and tribulations :banghead: I finally figured out that my hair has a problem with glycerin. And CK has A LOT of glycerin in it.
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. .

    My hair also loves CK, but only in warmer months. Here in Houston it's already starting to get warmer and more humid, so I've started using it again.
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fsharon5152%2F" class="Popup
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    CurlyRae wrote: »
    I think I am one of the few people who was not completely taken with CK. The first day I used it, it was like a miracle. My looked the best it had ever looked. But that only lasted one day. It never happened again. And every day I used it my hair got worse and worse.

    After lots of trials and tribulations :banghead: I finally figured out that my hair has a problem with glycerin. And CK has A LOT of glycerin in it.
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. Kailah you've got to take into consideration the climate you live in too and like was already stated you have to be generous with it. I just started using it again and 2 puddles is plenty for me right now but in the Summer and high Humidity I use about 6 puddles, if I don't use enough my hair is just POOOF.

    I cannot believe you can use this already. That's amazing.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I bumped up to 3 puddles (from 2) last wash day. But even though it's still hovering between 40-45, I'm going to have add more next wash day. Our annual fog-fest is just starting up. :(

    To the OP - you got some great advice on this product overall. Hope you have better luck when the humidity starts to spike.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

    Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:


    Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

    wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

    PW: wavycurly

    Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • KailahKailah Posts: 62Registered Users
    I bumped up to 3 puddles (from 2) last wash day. But even though it's still hovering between 40-45, I'm going to have add more next wash day. Our annual fog-fest is just starting up. :(

    To the OP - you got some great advice on this product overall. Hope you have better luck when the humidity starts to spike.

    I'm so excited to try this again! Thanks again for all the advice!
    3a/b course shoulder length bob
    Low Poo: GTTT
    Condish: Giovanni 50/50, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, KCKT, LVPNG
    Styling: Condish as a leave in, KCCC & BRHG, AOMM
    Scrunching with CLU towels
    Currently trying & not really liking: Ohm SHP or DMCCB...still experimenting, I guess
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    DEL2C wrote: »
    CurlyRae wrote: »
    I think I am one of the few people who was not completely taken with CK. The first day I used it, it was like a miracle. My looked the best it had ever looked. But that only lasted one day. It never happened again. And every day I used it my hair got worse and worse.

    After lots of trials and tribulations :banghead: I finally figured out that my hair has a problem with glycerin. And CK has A LOT of glycerin in it.
    and it's the glycerin that I LOVE so much but it's got to be in the Warmer months otherwise total frizz. Kailah you've got to take into consideration the climate you live in too and like was already stated you have to be generous with it. I just started using it again and 2 puddles is plenty for me right now but in the Summer and high Humidity I use about 6 puddles, if I don't use enough my hair is just POOOF.

    I cannot believe you can use this already. That's amazing.

    I was able start using it again a few weeks ago. I was using a leave-in until then, which was making me really puffy and undefined. I love it when I'm able to start using CK again! :)
    Brooklyn, NY

    Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

    fotki pw= crrrls