The Furminator

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I went to Petsmart yesterday and saw this brush and couldn't believe my eyes that the price tag is $50. http://www.furminator.com/testbed/indexnew.html

Check out the demo videos on the website, it runs circles around my shedding blade. If it actually works that well on my husky it would be worth the money!
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Comments

• twirlacurltwirlacurl Posts: 100Registered Users
    I wish I had seen your post BEFORE I went to Petsmart today. :x
    I want that! Too cool!
    Thanks for the info,
    twirlacurl
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    My cat would never sit still that long!!

I think I may have to invest in that for my pooch and kitty, my dark purple bedding is getting sick of my white cat sleeping on it, and leaving all her hair behind!!
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can find a better price for it on Amazon or Ebay. I haven't used it but I am tempted! The reviews (AMAZON) are mixed but most are pretty good. It seems the satisfied customers are the ones who own pets that have a thick undercoat.

I also found this on QVC for 27.50 for the small one. http://tinyurl.com/jeqn4

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • vivasmomvivasmom Posts: 312Registered Users
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the furminator for my lab. CLOUDS of hair come off him.
    Barely wavy mommy to a fine, silky with thready corkscrew 4 1/2yr old girl. HG's Moisture Maniac, PM The Conditioner, Cactus leave-in (original formula)"Mommy I want to look like a lion!" = hair loose and flowin'.
  • SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    I bought a medium sized Furminator for our Collie 2 weeks ago and it was worth every single penny that I paid for it! Seriously, I should have taken a photo the first time I used it on him-- there was fur everywhere! if you own a double coated dog... or just a shedding breed of animal in general, get thee to your nearest petstore for a purchase.
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
    I wanted to add to this thread because I bought one of these not long after this original posting. It's great! I can't believe how much hair I get off my aussie and she loves it, too.

I comb her twice a week with it and I've noticed a big difference in the amount of pet hair in the house. Her coat is lovely too, nice and shiny.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I went to have Gramercy furminated this weekend and this was some of the stuff they told me. Let me know if this is total b.s. or you think there's an ounce of truth.

1. the furminator sold in stores cannot be self sharpened. only the ones sold to groomers can be.
    2.you can hurt your dog if you're not careful or don't have proper training. Apparently they had one groomer in training who ended up slicing a dog pretty bad.

There was enough fur that came off of Gram to make a small terrier. It was amazing how much fur came off!

do you find your furminator gets dull over time? how do you keep it working?
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    We ended up getting a furminator and it does work very well.

You can buy replacement blades.
    http://www.amazon.com/Furminator-Large-Replacement-Blade/dp/B000BRM3H0
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    OMG, we've got to get one of those. My boyfriend's dog (looks like the white one on that website) sheds nonstop...she's an american eskimo. I love her and she's pretty, but the shedding is terrible.

We're gonna try it. Sounds like it cuts the hair, rather than just brushing it?
    I just brushed my dog with this about an hour ago. She and I still love it :)

• mrfhnlmrfhnl Posts: 276Registered Users
    ok, i'm clearly using mine wrong if that's possible. I hate mine! I have to clean the hair out of the blades, it doesn't come flying out on it's own at all and it gets out way less hair than my regular steel bristle or wide toothed brush. I bought the small and then the large cuz I thought bigger might be better. What am I doing wrong? I have a thick coat and a thin coat dog and neither one benefits from this thing.
    3B, normal porosity, med to coarse texture
    Deva Inspired, LiveCurlyLiveFree Trained Stylist
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    bumping.

Is everyone still loving their Furminators? I'm thinking of getting one for my dog. He's a shepherd mix and has the undercoat. I guess it cuts the undercoat off. Does this mean we can't use it in winter?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote:
    bumping.

Is everyone still loving their Furminators? I'm thinking of getting one for my dog. He's a shepherd mix and has the undercoat. I guess it cuts the undercoat off. Does this mean we can't use it in winter?

Unless you keep your dog outdoors all the time, the Furminator should be fine to use during the winter.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    After I fainted in the store at the price, DH pointed out if it didn't work we could return it so I figured what they heck. We bought the small one for our longhaired dachshund and love it. I swear we brush an entire other animal off him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    spring1onu wrote:
    After I fainted in the store at the price, DH pointed out if it didn't work we could return it so I figured what they heck. We bought the small one for our longhaired dachshund and love it. I swear we brush an entire other animal off him.

Samson is about 100#, and we always joke that we brush a few chihuahuas off of him! :lol:

I'm ordering it now! :D
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Yeah, the furminator is awesome! Our animals got the medium sized one from Santa for christmas last year. It just so happened that it was on sale on the PetSmart website but not in the store, so the manager just told me to print out the website price and he would discount it for me. I think I got it for $25? Maybe it was $35. Our pup is a golden-chow mix, so he's got a lot of hair! It makes his coat look great, and it stops him from getting hair everywhere! You do have to be careful though, it seems like it could hurt your baby's skin if you brush too hard, especially if they're old and have more delicate skin.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got my Furminator on eBay, for about half the cost of retail. I love eBay...I don't like to pay full price.

I got the small one and it works very well on my long-haired cat (see my avatar). I can make several more cats once I'm done brushing her.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I love the Furminator! I use it on my dog and my cat.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I have an american eskimo/sheltie mix. The furminator SUCKS for him. He is above and beyond a fur ball. It's not great on my long haired St. Bernards either. The rest of the dogs, it does fine, but no better than their regular slicker brush. Same with the cats.

I'm glad it works for others. If there was a way to try it before you pay the money - that would be great! :cheers:
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 279Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    QVC sells it for a pretty good price. There are also a lot of reviews on their site about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file