Stretching 3c Underlayer

Curly CanuckCurly Canuck Registered Users Posts: 37
My hair is 3b on top and 3c underneath (aka: the underlayer.) The problem with this is that the 3b hangs longer than the 3c, so it looks like I have sparse, see thru hair - or no hair underneath. When really the problem is just that the 3c hair is tightly coiled and the 3b hair hangs longer and looser.

What are some techniques for stretching the 3c underlayer so my hair looks fuller? I've been smoothing gel on my hair (a modified shingling because i don't make that many sections) but that's still not lengthening the 3c hair.
i'm new to this whole curly thing and slowly learning to be a better Curly Girl!!
Type 3B/c
M ii/iii
Shoulder length curly - BSL straight

Comments

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    I've got the same problem. The only thing that's helped me at all so far is to rake my product through the underneath, then flip over and scrunch the canopy. It still doesn't work all that well. I have to grow the underlayer really long and cut the top layer so that it hangs a little more even.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Do you diffuse? When you do, pin the 3b hair out of the way, and gently stretch the 3c hair under the hair dryer (diffuser). Don't hold it longer than 30 seconds at a time or it may get too straight. (I sometimes have to stretch a few clumps in the front because they curl a lot shorter than the rest.)

• Curly CanuckCurly Canuck Registered Users Posts: 37
    I tried a few things and got decent stretching results so i wanted to share.
    first, i parted wet hair into an upper half and a lower half. the 3c curls are on the lower half so i figured they needed special attention. i smoothed on Aubrey Organics White Camelia conditioner, then combed it thru with a medium width seamless comb. (it wasn't tight and it wasn't a very wide toothed comb.) that gave me good stretching.

also, on a different day, i did the same parting of my soaking wet hair. then i smoothed on with my palms, AG Re: Coil and smoothed it on again just to be sure. so far, so good. hth someone!
    i'm new to this whole curly thing and slowly learning to be a better Curly Girl!!
    Type 3B/c
    M ii/iii
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Registered Users Posts: 432 Curl Neophyte
    I have 3C hair and my hair stretches when I wear it in a tight ponytail for a few hours. Maybe you can put the 3C hair in pony tail (but not your 3B hair) for a while before you go out?
    3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)
  • OmalorrieOmalorrie Registered Users Posts: 25
    What I do is I divide my under layer into about 6 sections and then I put clips on the ends. When my hair is dry or almost dry I take the clips out and shake my head upside down. This is the best way I have found.
    Have Fun!
    Lorrie
    3b to 3c,shoulder length in back, shorter on top until it grows out
    http://photos.yahoo.com/omalorrie
  • Curly CanuckCurly Canuck Registered Users Posts: 37
    Omalorrie wrote:
    What I do is I divide my under layer into about 6 sections and then I put clips on the ends. When my hair is dry or almost dry I take the clips out and shake my head upside down. This is the best way I have found.

someone mentioned this above...what type of clips do you use? i may try this. or the idea of wearing the 3c curls in a ponytail. i'll have to practice that one to find a style that'd work and not make my hair look too thin. also it takes my hair a while to dry completely. i'm going to experiment with all these techniques!
    Type 3B/c
    M ii/iii
  • PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    I've just been thinking of the same thing lately. I have the exact same problem! My hair looks weird because of this. It just dosen't lay right, like it kinda sits out from my head when I hold my head down. I'm always doing things to try to smooth down that under layer but i've had no success with stretching it out. I kinda wish my hair was the opposite....3b under layer, 3c top. You always want what you don't have right, lol. I'm anxious to see more suggestions.
  • PokahontasPokahontas Registered Users Posts: 184
    I have 3C hair and my hair stretches when I wear it in a tight ponytail for a few hours. Maybe you can put the 3C hair in pony tail (but not your 3B hair) for a while before you go out?

This is a good idea! It makes sense because by putting the 3c part in a ponytail the roots would be straight making that area hang longer. I'm definitely trying this, thanks!
  • OmalorrieOmalorrie Registered Users Posts: 25
    Omalorrie wrote:

someone mentioned this above...what type of clips do you use? i may try this. or the idea of wearing the 3c curls in a ponytail. i'll have to practice that one to find a style that'd work and not make my hair look too thin. also it takes my hair a while to dry completely. i'm going to experiment with all these techniques!

I use the clips that bend in the middle. I'm not sure what they are actually called. They can come in all sorts of colors.
    Have Fun!
    Lorrie
    3b to 3c,shoulder length in back, shorter on top until it grows out
    http://photos.yahoo.com/omalorrie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file