Plea for help!

StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
I'm 27 and spotted my first grey around 14. I've probably been dying my hair since I was about 20. Most of the time it's a brown shade, since I'm naturally a brunette, although I have gone blonde twice over the years.

Now, I can barely last a month before I have to touch up my roots again. The silvers come in very noticeably around the hairline after about 3 weeks. I can't take it anymore. It's embarrassing because other people point it out - if I were older, I don't think they would, but I guess 'cuz I'm not that old, they feel it's ok. My hair grows straight up, too, so it's not easy to hide.

My question: should I go light? Just choose a shade and stick with it from now on seeing as I'm just going to keep getting greyer? Or should I just keep doing the roots every 3 weeks? If I go light, my hair will be damaged. If I stay dark, I'll be at the salon constantly.

I should add that although I'm dark haired, my skin tone is very fair and I could probably go a lot lighter.

I really wish I had never started dying and had just let the greys come in, but it's too late for that now. Please help me decide! No one wants to listen to me talk about my hair anymore:o
pw: curlie

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Due to an allergy, I have to use foils to blend in my grey. As a fringe benefit, it's less noticeable when it starts to grow out than all over colouring.

I have very dark hair naturally so I do a combination of highlights and lowlights to acheive a more natural look. In the spring/summer, I do 2:1 hi:low and in the fall/winter I do 1:2 hi:low.

And you know here we always want to talk hair! :laughing9:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
    Cool, what you do is what the stylist recommended last time I was there, that I just highlight it so that I don't have to dye my whole head all the time, so the greys blend in without that noticeable silver halo lol.
    Did you find that since you're dark naturally, the highlighting affected the elasticity a lot? Or did you gradually lighten so it was not too much for the hair to handle?
  • viklaneviklane Posts: 54Registered Users
    2 things:

One, yes -- go light. With darker hair, a silver patch coming in can give you a skunk look. Or do what Stacy London on What Not to Wear does and wear a strand of grey with flair and dye the rest.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but honestly I've always found premature grey beautiful. Especially because it usually turns into Blythe Danner or Helen Mirren's shade, which I've always wanted (I'm 21, FWIW).

On a parting note, I will say that a lighter shade will allow you -- if you want -- to let the greys grow out if you decide to let them.
    Hair Type: 3a
    COs
    : Suave Naturals Green Apple. Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine.

event.png
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Cool, what you do is what the stylist recommended last time I was there, that I just highlight it so that I don't have to dye my whole head all the time, so the greys blend in without that noticeable silver halo lol.
    Did you find that since you're dark naturally, the highlighting affected the elasticity a lot? Or did you gradually lighten so it was not too much for the hair to handle?

Cool that your hair stylist recommended this. When I found out I was allergic, my stylist at that time told me I would just have to go grey. :(

I started this probably 6 or 7 years ago. I didn't have nearly as much grey so I needed far fewer foils. I went light right away but it was summer so it would've looked to a lot of pepole as if it had just been sun exposure. I put in lowlights now because I'd be too light for my tastes.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I wish my curls tolerated highlights better. I'm about to get rid of them because they look drier than the rest of my hair and are much straighter. They also don't clump well so just look like lighter stings hanging from my head.

Unfortunately, I don't have the complexion to go light. I started going grey at 16 and am now almost 90% grey. I can't even say it's grey, really. It's white. The strangest thing is that there is no grey at all along my hairline. It all starts about 1/4" in. I tend to wear my hair in ponytails often when I have to color because my hairline hides the grey a bit. But I have no choice but to color my hair every few weeks because my roots grow in so fast. Even highlights didn't help them blend.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could try using a haircolor like Color by Robert Craig to touch up the hairline yourself at home, or even to do your own color all the time. :) Just be sure to choose a color about 2-3 shades lighter than you think would match, as most haircolors go darker on curls. Unless you are using a lifting color.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    viklane wrote: »
    Or do what Stacy London on What Not to Wear does and wear a strand of grey with flair and dye the rest.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but honestly I've always found premature grey beautiful. Especially because it usually turns into Blythe Danner or Helen Mirren's shade, which I've always wanted (I'm 21, FWIW).

I would LOVE to have Stacey hair, but she has said that she's always had that streak...I have no idea how I would go about growing a streak without looking ridiculous while it grows.

I like grey hair, too (Blythe = :hello1:) and if I could go back in time, I would have just left it. Now that I've started dying, I don't know how to stop. Also, I don't think I have quite enough for it to be mostly grey. By the time I'm 50 though, I'd like to not dye anymore.
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    You could try using a haircolor like Color by Robert Craig to touch up the hairline yourself at home, or even to do your own color all the time. :) Just be sure to choose a color about 2-3 shades lighter than you think would match, as most haircolors go darker on curls. Unless you are using a lifting color.

It would be great to do my own hair. I used to. I just have so much colour and layers of colour in it now, I feel like I'd have to be a chemist not to screw it up. My hair is long and I find it hard to get an even application. But if I stay dark, then...I think that I will have to touch up the roots myself. I use the Clairol Root Touch Up when I get desperate in between salon visits. Is Robert Craig more gentle or something good for curls?
    Nallia wrote: »
    I wish my curls tolerated highlights better. I'm about to get rid of them because they look drier than the rest of my hair and are much straighter. They also don't clump well so just look like lighter stings hanging from my head.

Unfortunately, I don't have the complexion to go light. I started going grey at 16 and am now almost 90% grey. I can't even say it's grey, really. It's white. The strangest thing is that there is no grey at all along my hairline. It all starts about 1/4" in. I tend to wear my hair in ponytails often when I have to color because my hairline hides the grey a bit. But I have no choice but to color my hair every few weeks because my roots grow in so fast. Even highlights didn't help them blend.

Your hair is pretty! But I know about the highlights and how the texture becomes different. If you highlight your whole head with really thin streaks, it can help avoid that demarcation...but highlighting the whole head sucks too and costs a lot. Sigh. At least your grey starts back a little bit. So you're going dark now? Arghhh I can't decide what to do!
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Your hair is pretty! But I know about the highlights and how the texture becomes different. If you highlight your whole head with really thin streaks, it can help avoid that demarcation...but highlighting the whole head sucks too and costs a lot. Sigh. At least your grey starts back a little bit. So you're going dark now? Arghhh I can't decide what to do!
    Aww, thank you! I'm only 2 weeks into CG and have a lot of damage so that means a lot! :D

I don't know yet. I thought I was going to just get rid of my highlights and keep it a few shades lighter than my natural color (which is so dark brown it's almost black) but then I look in the mirror and love my highlights. I haven't been in to get my hair colored since late January because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it so my roots are LONG--like 2".

I'm going to a new stylist for a Deva cut on the 21st and will get my hair colored while I'm there. We'll see if she can highlight it better for my curls. The highlights I have now were from when I was straightening my hair all the time. They're not that thin when my hair is straight but they separate into my curls and split into strings now.

One more benefit to going CG and not straightening anymore is that my roots take longer to become really noticeable when they start growing out. My hair curls from the root and that helps hide is until my next appointment. ;)
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I decided to not color and let my hair go gray, I am a hairstylist and didn't want to be a slave to the skunk stripe. Try looking at www.goinggraylookinggreat.com I think every one of the women looks better with their natural hair color. Just because you don't color the whole head doesn't mean you can't add some interesting hilites or lowlites with amonia free haircloror. I think you have to decide if you want to be dynamic, going gray early will always compell people to comment, good or bad. I think that the web site will answer all of your questions and you will see how the other women transitioned.
    Good Luck
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurliLocks wrote: »

It would be great to do my own hair. I used to. I just have so much colour and layers of colour in it now, I feel like I'd have to be a chemist not to screw it up. My hair is long and I find it hard to get an even application. But if I stay dark, then...I think that I will have to touch up the roots myself. I use the Clairol Root Touch Up when I get desperate in between salon visits. Is Robert Craig more gentle or something good for curls?

This is an old thread but just got bumped. Sorry I didn't see this before and answer. I will now:

Yes, RC Color is much more gentle on curly (or any) hair because it doesn't contain peroxide, bleach, ammonia, alcohol..... It will not dry out your hair. Although it is permanent, it doesn't cause the damage that most haircolors do.

Did you ever decide what to do? :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file