Anyone had an external version?

KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What was it like? Was it successful? How far along were you? Did the baby stay that way until you delivered?
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nobody, really? :? Are they that rare, or is everyone just choosing c-sections instead?

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Don't know, I would have had one if he hadn't turned when he did. My midwife wanted to wait until 38 or 39 weeks because of the chance that I'd go into labor or that there would be complications that would. necessitate a C section. If it were me, I would try it. I remember my midwife telling me that it would very probably be successful because the baby obviously was able to turn and did so fairly frequently. Did he turn again, Kaia? Or had he not gone back to vertex when you thought he had? Either way, I'm sorry,that's really stressful.
    He turned breech yesterday. :evil: I've since been to the chiro, acupuncturist, laid on an ironing board, played classical music in my pants, shone a flashlight at my lower belly, put ice at the top of it (at one point I did the last 4 all at once :roll:), talked, pleaded, visualized... nothing. I have homeopathic pulsatilla to try tonight with the ironing board thing. I'm debating the chiro again monday morning. Monday afternoon, I have the version scheduled. I'd like to have a better idea of what to expect, but I'll do it regardless. In the meantime, I'm losing my mucuous plug like crazy and I'm terrified I'll go into labor this weekend. And I'm really mad at this darn baby. He's been vertex since 34-35 weeks, and decides to turn breech 3 days from the due date? WTF?!?

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Turn baby turn!!

I'm afraid I've only heard of unsuccessful version attempts. But I hope it works for you!

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This site gives good info on what to expect.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980901ap/coco.html

They state success rates can approach 70%, with a reversion to breech rate of only 7%. I never had a breech myself, but I have known women who have had a successful version and went on to deliver vaginally. If a version is going to work, the baby will usually turn quite easily. Some docs like to do an induction immediately after a successful version, especially if the woman is at full term and the cervix is favorable. You're planning a homebirth though, correct?

I will keep good thoughts for you that the baby will turn spontanenously and labor will start soon after, so you can have your homebirth. If I were in your shoes, I'd be at the YMCA tomorrow doing some somersaults in warm deep water.

http://gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html#Pool
    Yup, still really hoping for a homebirth. The dr. said he's willing to attemp a vaginal delivery if he doesn't turn (frank breech), but I'd obviously have to be in the hospital for that. My tentative plan is that if we get him to turn, I'm running out to get castor oil to get labor started. But I need him to turn first. Burning moxa sticks by my little toes now. :roll: I swear, nothing is too crazy for me at this point.

• DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    Is your chiro certified in the webster technique? If not you might want to find one who is and try that as well. Goodluck mama.

• imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    I have no useful advice for you, but just wanted to say good luck! I really hope the version works or the baby decides to flip..seemingly at the last minute! I'll be sending vibes your way!

The fact that baby is still flipping around when your one day away from your DD makes my insides hurt! I remember when my son did a summersault when I was about 7 months along. We were lying in bed and all of a sudden my whole belly shifted and changed shape, it was the weirdest feeling and sight ever!
    .png

.png
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Kaia wrote: »
    He turned breech yesterday. :evil: I've since been to the chiro, acupuncturist, laid on an ironing board, played classical music in my pants, shone a flashlight at my lower belly, put ice at the top of it (at one point I did the last 4 all at once :roll:), talked, pleaded, visualized... nothing. I have homeopathic pulsatilla to try tonight with the ironing board thing. I'm debating the chiro again monday morning. Monday afternoon, I have the version scheduled. I'd like to have a better idea of what to expect, but I'll do it regardless. In the meantime, I'm losing my mucuous plug like crazy and I'm terrified I'll go into labor this weekend. And I'm really mad at this darn baby. He's been vertex since 34-35 weeks, and decides to turn breech 3 days from the due date? WTF?!?

I soooo know what you're going through right now (not the breech part so late in pregnacy but the trying everything under the sun part) Did your chiro use wedge blocks under your hips and the poke you with his finger in your side?

I know it's difficult to do this, but try to relax.

I'm sending major positive vibes for you.
    hello.world.
    Thanks all! Yeah, the chiro used the Webster technique. I felt a lot of movement afterwards, but no flipping. Same with the acupuncture. Same with the moxibustion at home. It's freaky though that as soon as I felt the heat on my toes, he started moving very actively, and absolutely amazing to me that someone came up with this stuff thousands of years ago before any of the equipment that modern medicine relies on. I also felt like he was trying to turn last night on the ironing board. His head was almost halfway down my uterus sticking out the side, but despite gentle pressure and guiding from me, it kept popping back up. But the fact that he's trying at least gives me some hope that something will be successful in turning this guy back.

I think i'm going through somethinng like the modified stages of grief. The first day, I felt guilty that my body sucks and he wanted to turn. Yesterday, I was extremely angry at the baby, calling him all sorts of bad names, and mad that he was ruining everything for me. Today, I'm a bit more hopeful so far and feeling more pro-active. (Acceptance? :lol:) Hoping today will be the day since I'm getting very aggressive with my attempts. I'm also trying to find a heated pool that's available to the public. I was thinking of asking if the YMCA may let me use theirs without joining for a year, but it's outside and today it's nasty and supposed to storm on and off. *sigh*

I'm sending you vertex baby vibes! Hang in there and try to relax. He really should turn, and if not, the version has a good chance of being successful given that it is obviously easy for him to flip around in there. And if not, at least he's a frank breech and you can attempt a vaginal delivery.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Is your doc (or you) willing to go past due date if your water doesn't break? Maybe she/he needs more time to bake.
    hello.world.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I didn't come on here yesterday, so this might be too late. I had an external version with my first son, successful too I might add. I wasn't as far along as you, not sure how far but I think around 38 weeks. I had to fast beforehand in case I went into labour and needed a c-section, which was probably just as well as I think I would've vomitted otherwise at the pain. I was given iv salbutamol which relaxes the uterus and makes your heart rate increase dramatically (not pleasant but I have svt so it wasn't out of the ordinary for me anyway), then they checked his positioning on the u/s and tried turning him - this was the painful bit as he didn't want to go. They let me have a little rest then checked th u/s again and tried the other way - he just flipped right over with no problem. They kept me there for a little while as they had to wait for mine and his heartbeats to be back to normal (his took forever!) then I went home. Drove myself there and back and I think the whole thing took about 2 1/2 hours, it was only that long because of his heartbeat, usually you're able to go sooner apparently.
    He stayed put and I had a vaginal delivery bang on his due date.
    If they'd moved him the right way first off I would have had no pain or anything, so don't let that put you off, it was worth it. (Mind you I had to have a c-section with DS2 and that didn't bother me, I was just glad to have my babies however they came!).
    Good luck.
    3b in South Australia.
    webjockey wrote: »
    Is your doc (or you) willing to go past due date if your water doesn't break? Maybe she/he needs more time to bake.

I'm "allowed" to go to 42 weeks. I would prefer not to, just bc I'm scared of having another giant baby, but if he needs to cook, then he needs to cook. Does he need to do it wrong side down though?

Starmie - thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to fast starting around 10 am, I think. It's good to know that pain is possible. I'm ok with that, I just want to be prepared. I think he will turn. I think he's been trying to turn today. He went almost transverse at one point, but that darn head keeps bobbing back up. But I really think he's trying, which gives me hope.

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I guess it's a good sign that he's trying to move, mine showed no inclination whatsoever, I think he was quite content to be bum down!

And please don't worry about the pain, like I said it was only because they were trying to move him the wrong way. It was strange that he didn't want go that way, even to my untrained eye it seemed to make sense to try and move him the way they did. Always been an awkward little beggar though, he's 14 now and still at it!
    3b in South Australia.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Kaia, I just wanted to wish you luck with the version. It sounds like the baby really wants to turn, so I think it will be successful. Once he gets into position, that could prompt you to go into labor very soon. Best wishes!
    ehLB.jpg
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Kaia, good luck, I hope he turns for you. You are fortunate to have a doctor who is willing to attempt a vaginal breech delivery.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • usedtobeDayzieusedtobeDayzie Posts: 78Registered Users
    Kaia my friend just had her baby turned for her last week. It went really well, the doctor seemed to really know what he was doing. There was very little pain, and it was over quickly. That was wed, and the baby has stayed put so far. Good luck! I hope all goes well for you.
    ...but you can call me Dayzie.
  • usedtobeDayzieusedtobeDayzie Posts: 78Registered Users
    Also wanted to add that another friend of mine had to have an external version as well. She said she just went to a "happy place", and doesn't really remember it very well. She did have some bruising, but the version was successful. She went into labor 2 days later, which was 2 weeks early.
    ...but you can call me Dayzie.
    Good luck!!

Thank you guys! :love2: I just found out I might not even have the version today, and he might just do the U/S and schedule the version for tomorrow or Wed. So I may very well be starving myself for nothing. I honestly feel like crying. I'm clearly an idiot for coming into work today, but I didn't know what to do sitting around at home either. :roll: I just want this to be over with already.

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Don't cry, Kaia! (((HUGS)))

I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts for the next few days and send turning-baby-easy-labor vibes. Please keep us posted!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Kaia? Any updates? Something tells me you've gone and had that baby.
    Nope, no baby. U/S showed the baby still butt down, and I was so upset I went right to sleep when I got home. Version scheduled for noon tomorrow. I don't think he's going to turn though. Maybe that's just my pessimist coming out right now, but that's what my gut is telling me.

They were asking me what I want to do if it doesn't work. I have no idea what to do. They estimated his weight now at 8 lb7oz, so he's already at the top of the range to attempt a breech vaginal delivery. So if the version doesn't work, should I schedule an induction for later this week? He is REALLY high right now, and I'm not sure labor will start on its own anytime soon with no pressure on the cervix. Or should I wait and see if he turns on his own and schedule a c-section if he doesn't? I don't know. Just thinking about a CS makes me want to cry every time. This was supposed to be my good birth. Maybe the universe is trying to traumatize me into not wanting any more children...?

Kaia wrote: »
    Nope, no baby. U/S showed the baby still butt down, and I was so upset I went right to sleep when I got home. Version scheduled for noon tomorrow. I don't think he's going to turn though. Maybe that's just my pessimist coming out right now, but that's what my gut is telling me.

They were asking me what I want to do if it doesn't work. I have no idea what to do. They estimated his weight now at 8 lb7oz, so he's already at the top of the range to attempt a breech vaginal delivery. So if the version doesn't work, should I schedule an induction for later this week? He is REALLY high right now, and I'm not sure labor will start on its own anytime soon with no pressure on the cervix. Or should I wait and see if he turns on his own and schedule a c-section if he doesn't? I don't know. Just thinking about a CS makes me want to cry every time. This was supposed to be my good birth. Maybe the universe is trying to traumatize me into not wanting any more children...?

Oh, so stressful. I feel for you.

I personally wouldn't schedule an induction for a breech baby. I'd allow labor to start spontaneously. That would give the cervix more time to thin and dilate for a vaginal birth, or give him extra time to flip vertex again. Butts can dilate a cervix almost as well as a head. You have to weigh your decisions on what your medical advice is though. What does your midwife say?

Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.
    ((hugs)) Kaia, I just want to cry for you!

I hope the version works and the rest is a non-issue.

(((Hugs))).

I know you know this, but if he's really high, he's probably not ready to be born yet. Also keep in mind that they can be off by a pound or more with his weight- they estimated all 3 of my babies wrong (Max and Maya were bigger than they said, but Aidan was 1 lb. smaller). I wouldn't schedule an induction with a breech baby either, especially one who's high up- I'd wait.

At any rate, I hope the version is successful today and that he stays vertex. I'll be thinking of you.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'm sorry, Kaia. Try not to stress yourself out. I felt l ike such failure when my delivery didn't go the way I thought it would, so I sort of know how you feel. I have no experience with a baby who won't turn, but I'm sending good thoughts your way. I hope it goes well today!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    {{{hugs}}}

I'm sending "turn baby turn" vibes your way.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I so hope the version is successful! And I'm so sorry you're so torn about what to do. I too would probably not do the induction, as I have experienced Pitocin before and it's just awful. And as cosmicfly said, they can be off on the weight. I will continue to keep you and baby in my thoughts!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file