What's the best Flax Seed Gel recipe?

I'm really interested in trying FSG. I'm going to Whole Foods on Monday (it's 1.5 hours away), so I can pick up ingredients then. My dd is crawling all over me, so I don't have time to look at all the recipes...can you guys just tell me what the best recipe is so I can make some? Thank you so much!!

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know about "best," but the basic recipe is pretty nice:
    Journalist wrote: »
    1 cup water

2 tbsp flax seeds

Bring water and flax seeds to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes. Strain and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. :toothy7:Some people add other things, EO, Aloe, etc. But I just use the above recipe.

TIPS

I've heard golden flax seeds have more hold, but never tested that theory myself.

You can add the essential oil of your choice for scent.

Add a pinch citric acid as a preservative, or you'll have to store it in the fridge, and even then it will last less than a couple weeks.

Add 1/4 teaspoon epsom salt for curl enhancement.

Be prepared for a little trial and error. Some people boil the seeds for 10 minutes, but on my stove, it's more like 6. It also depends how runny you want it. More time = thicker gel. But cook too long and it won't strain very easily, or at all.

But it's really not hard, once you get it down. GL!
  • purplecurls27purplecurls27 Posts: 73Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    1 cup water

2 tbsp flax seeds

Bring water and flax seeds to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes. Strain and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. :toothy7:Some people add other things, EO, Aloe, etc. But I just use the above recipe.

TIPS

I've heard golden flax seeds have more hold, but never tested that theory myself.

Add a pinch citric acid as a preservative, or you'll have to store it in the fridge, and even then it will last less than a couple weeks.

Be prepared for a little trial and error. Some people boil the seeds for 10 minutes, but on my stove, it's more like 6. It also depends how runny you want it. More time = thicker gel. But cook too long and it won't strain very easily, or at all.

Thank you SO much! May sound like a dumb question, but where do I find citric acid? If I just add a little, will it keep on my counter for a couple of weeks? I don't mind refrigerating it...I can just pour out how much I think I'll need the next day and let it "warm" on the counter over night if I need to. But, it would be nice to have it last a little longer. Will epsom salts not dry the hair out?
  • curlykristencurlykristen Posts: 113Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    1 cup water

2 tbsp flax seeds

TIPS

Thank you SO much! May sound like a dumb question, but where do I find citric acid? If I just add a little, will it keep on my counter for a couple of weeks? I don't mind refrigerating it...I can just pour out how much I think I'll need the next day and let it "warm" on the counter over night if I need to. But, it would be nice to have it last a little longer. Will epsom salts not dry the hair out?

I bought mine online at www.iherb.com. I've also found golden flax seeds on ebay for less than you'll pay at whole foods, even after paying for shipping.

I use the basic recipe above, but for every cup of FSG I end up with, I also add about 1 tbsp of FOTE, 1 tsp of agave nectar, 1/2 tsp of hemp seed oil, 1/4 tsp citric acid, a few drops of grapefruit seed extract, a little vitamin E oil, and about 10 drops of an EO. I've found most items (with the exception of the FOTE and agave nectar) on iherb also. And I find that if I add the epsom salt to the water when I'm boiling the seeds, it doesn't dry my hair out. When I've added it after I make the gel, it seems more drying. And one other tip for you - I use distilled water rather than tap water, because the gel I made with tap water was pretty much useless. You might want to keep that in mind when you make it. I'd certainly try it with tap water first though, since it's basically free. HTH! :blob8:
    Mostly 3A, some 3B/2C fine-med texture/med porosity/low density

wash: alternate co-washing with V05 & soap bars
    Rinse out: Rotate TJ's N&S, AOHR, LVPNG, GVP K-Pak, CJ CA Daily Condish
    ACV rinses 2x/wk (high pH water)
    LI: if I use one, it's usually CJ CALI CJ H&B LI, or GDLI
    Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

Currently experimenting w/DM Miracurls CG & MM
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Posts: 155Registered Users Curl Novice
    An excellant antimicrobialIm going to try,is young livings EO, theives,very concentrated,,4 drops/per 1 cup should do,its got a nice clovey/cinnamon smell.they make it into a hand purifier, now tooAnd Aubreey organics magic mandarin Jelly,I noticed only uses grapefruitseed extract.so Ill throw a littleof that in as well.But thanks for the iherb.com I tried one f/ someone we all know, but the added coconut oil,and honey made my hair,lay down and die, so its off to the kitchen for me.Its just too expensive,when its just so easy to make.and expriment with add-ins,One lady also suggested, wrapping seeds in nylon, and boiling.I tried the HERB SATCHELS(cheese cloth, I think) didnt work.so, try again tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The original recipe makes 2-3 ozs. For my length hair, I use 2 oz at a time. Generally I make a double batch and freeze the extra until needed. If you cook the seeds to long and the gel is too thick to strain, just put it back in the pot and add more water. Simmer for a couple more minutes, then try to strain again.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • purplecurls27purplecurls27 Posts: 73Registered Users
    I am so frustrated! I just spent an hour & a half attempting to make FSG & I got maybe a day's worth out of it! I did 1 cup water to 2 tbs flax seeds. I brought the water to a boil, then reduced heat to low and added seeds. I stirred constantly for 10 minutes. Wouldn't even strain at all. I tried again, this time only doing 6 minutes. Still wouldn't strain. I put the seeds back in the pot and added more water...brought to a boil & immediately tried straining again, to no avail. I can't spend and hour & a half on gel that lasts 1-2 days! It's sooo not worth it. What am I doing wrong? I am using a metal/mesh colander like this. I managed to get a snotty consistency for use tomorrow. I really want this to work! What am I doing wrong?? I don't want it to be watery.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you strain it immediately? If you let it cool, it will be much harder, if not impossible to strain.

Also, clean the strainer immediately after straining — it will be easer to clean.

I get about a 3-4 applications of FSG from that recipe, and my hair is BSL when wet. But I do use it with other products, so maybe I don't use as much as others.

It does thicken as it cools, so don't concern yourself too much with the consistency when you're straining it. It should be pretty runny at that point, when it's still warm or hot, but also very much like egg whites.

I use the same type of strainer, so that's definitely not the issue.

To store it, I put it in a bottle with a top that works like a dish soap bottle [you pull the top up in order to open it]. I find it works well with the consistency of the gel.

Making FSG takes time and patience to learn. I did it successfully the first time, but I took an hour or so and read up on it here first. I understand that you might not have that kind of time, but that is the reality of the situation.

GL!
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Well, the flax seed is ordered :) I'll be sure to post and let all of you know how it goes.
  • susieQ730susieQ730 Posts: 97Registered Users
    I brought the water to a boil, then reduced heat to low and added seeds. I stirred constantly for 10 minutes. Wouldn't even strain at all.

Put the seeds in the water and then bring to a boil, when the seeds suspend in the water and the water gets a white foamy film, turn to med to med-low. Using a wire wisk, keep wisking until desired thickness. I've tried continuous boiling on high and wisking and it came out too thick. Total process takes anywhere from 6-10 minutes, watch closely. Then strain and add your additions (if you are using epsom salts add before boiling). Better to strain when a little thin, you can always put it back in the pot and boil to make thicker.

I use 1/4 C flax seeds to 2 C water and get at least 12 ounces.
    CG since 7/08--Eastern PA
    3a fine/medium, normal to low porosity, med density
    CO wash/Cond: LVPNG, Kenra, TIGI MM
    Styling: GDLI, CK and any gel
    VISIT MY ETSY SHOP: www.dreambelledesign.etsy.com
    fotki pw: hair
    event.png
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
  • mlle_carriemlle_carrie Posts: 79Registered Users
    I made my first batch of FSG last night and put it on my hair, let it dry mostly, then went to bed (I don't pineapple). When I woke up this morning I found the most beautiful mess of soft, bouncy curls!!! My hair seemed so much curlier than normal! I love that the FSG isn't sticky, so my hands don't get sticky whenever I touch my hair. Love this stuff already!

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When you add the AVG, when in the process is it added? At the end? with the boil? after you package it up?
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    When you add the AVG, when in the process is it added? At the end? with the boil? after you package it up?

I usually add the AVG, along with some agave nectar, hemp seed oil, and preservatives after I boil and strain the flax seeds, then whisk it all together.

Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

I usually add the AVG, along with some agave nectar, hemp seed oil, and preservatives after I boil and strain the flax seeds, then whisk it all together.

Awesome! thanks!

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • canelacanela Posts: 218Registered Users
    does the sweetness of the agave nectar get sticky or do any insects get close to the hair?
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
    canela wrote: »
    does the sweetness of the agave nectar get sticky or do any insects get close to the hair?

I've never had that problem. Once you mix it in with the FSG, the AN isn't sticky anymore. And I've never had bugs swarming my head. :flower:

Well, my seeds are here. I'm going to try making it this week end. We'll see how it goes :)
  • canelacanela Posts: 218Registered Users
    Can someone tell me what is FOTE?
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
  • CAT301CAT301 Posts: 40Registered Users
    canela wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what is FOTE?

Fruit of The Earth brand aloe vera gel.
  • namom3namom3 Posts: 40Registered Users
    This is the FSG recipe I use. I drench it in my hair and let it air dry- perfect hair all day!!

http://mixology101.ning.com/profiles/blogs/flax-seed-gel-my-way
    No: heating tools, sulfates, cones, parabens
    Co-wash: Suave naturals (coconut and ocean breeze) Acct baking soda to clarify as needed
    DC: olive or almond oil with EO rosemary
    Style: Homemade flaxseed gel with aloe vera juice, epsom salt, and EO rosemary and lavender. Exploring various conditioners to use with the tightly curly method
    Want to try: adding different EO's to HFSG, growing out hair
    Always ISO: natural remedies for 3b curls!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    I've never seen one of those straining balls, where could I pick one up? Anyone know?
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
  • namom3namom3 Posts: 40Registered Users
    I got mine at walmart by the kitchen gadgets. You can find them at health food stores by the teas as well!
    No: heating tools, sulfates, cones, parabens
    Co-wash: Suave naturals (coconut and ocean breeze) Acct baking soda to clarify as needed
    DC: olive or almond oil with EO rosemary
    Style: Homemade flaxseed gel with aloe vera juice, epsom salt, and EO rosemary and lavender. Exploring various conditioners to use with the tightly curly method
    Want to try: adding different EO's to HFSG, growing out hair
    Always ISO: natural remedies for 3b curls!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    loewin wrote: »
    I've never seen one of those straining balls, where could I pick one up? Anyone know?

i saw one at Publix (a supermarket) and i saw one in ikea. the one i saw at publix was big and seemed bulky and was like, 8 dollars. the one in ikea was small and not as bulky and was like, 2 dollars. i bought the ikea one. first time i tried making the FSG, i put it in a coffee filter. i noticed that the water was still water, and it was evaporating. come to find out it was all gelling up inside the coffee filter! i went with the small straining ball thinking that the big one might provide too much space for the water to just want to get in there and not create any gel in the pot (if that makes sense?). i haven't tried it yet tho.

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    When i made my FSG i had absolutely no problem straining it. it went from off the stove right thru the strainer into by aluminum cup. consitency was just like egg whites- i would know, i've used egg whites in my hair before. i topped it off with some FOTE AVG. curl formation- good. just like any other product- but this one is all natural! topped it off with HETT. my only issue was frizz! i have not been getting any frizz... virtually none! but with the FSG, i had a lot of surface frizz! i'm not sure if it was the HETT. next time i will try with BRHG. any suggestions about the frizz?

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    I tried making mine for the first time yesterday. For me it seemed to calm down my frizz , but still had more than I'd care to have. I'm still at a point where I'm experimenting tho, so I added some honey to my mix... I'm thinking next time leaving it out to see if I do better without it. I am starting to think I need to leave out the humectants :-?.

TY for the info on the tea ball!
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
    Ok,

The first batch is in the freezer now...
    2 C Water
    4 T Flax Seed
    1 T FOTE
    1/2 t Epsom Salt (Mag. Sulfate)
    1/2 t Hemp Oil
    1/2 t Agave Nectar
    4 Drops Clove Oil (natural antibiotic)
    1/8 t Nag Champa (EO blend with antibiotic & antifungal properties)

On the advice I've seen in another thread, I'm freezing it so that I can fluff it with a fork to improve the texture and make it easier to apply once its thawed.

I just made it with filtered water, not distilled. We brew beer with our water here just filtered and that works out ok.

Next batch brewing on the stove now...

2 C Water
    4 T Flax Seed
    1 T FOTE
    1/2 t Epsom Salt (Mag. Sulfate)
    1/2 t Raw Shea Butter
    1/2 t Agave Nectar
    4 Drops Clove Oil (natural antibiotic)
    1/8 t Grapefruit Seed Extract

Will let every know how it turns out/works.
  • ariel9403ariel9403 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hello -
    Could some one tell me what HETT and BRHG mean?
    Thank you!
    ariel9403 wrote: »
    Hello -
    Could some one tell me what HETT and BRHG mean?
    Thank you!

HETT- Herbal Essence Totally Twisted (gel or mousse) and BRHG- Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. there is a sticky note on the general discussion about curly hair section. Enjoy!

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    Ok,

Batch A got its initial test last night and its getting a tenative wonderful. I got excellent curls with zero product feel and very soft hair. I say tentative because I had to sleep on it so I had some loss of curl and some frizz which I'm attributing to sleeping with wet hair.

I got up this morning, misted my hair, and put in some more. It's drying now. I have to say that I'm getting great spiral and ringlets. I'll post pics once its completely dry.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've made two batches thus far and I'm really liking it! I'll be tweaking the add-ins with each batch. I initially thought it wouldn't be enough hold for me (I have a very loose curl pattern and lots of hair), but yesterday I went out with my hair still quite damp, and it was very windy wet and nasty. I was out in the wind a long time and thought my hair would be a disaster. A few hours later (when my hair was finally dry), I discovered that I had really good hair!

Also, my hair felt very rough and dry from the little bit of mag sulfate I'd added to this batch -- but I really liked the curls it gave me. Last night, I took a bit of jojoba oil on my hands and smoothed it over my canopy & scrunched some into the rest of my hair, and the dry rough feeling was gone. This morning (after pineappling), I have better than average hair, better curls, and my hair feels soft. I think I won't be buying much gel anymore. :love4:

Loewin, as for straining balls, if you have a good-sized Asian grocery or housewares store, they usually have a whole range of these, in all sizes. They also have make-your-own teabag things, a kind of cloth-like paper pouch (very handy for tea drinkers on the road/at work!), and they come in a whole range of sizes from regular teabag to quite large. However, I have had no trouble straining the gel thru a regular mesh kitchen strainer -- but I do it right away, while it's still hot.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file