Speaking of potties...

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
I know Solomon is still too young to do any serious potty training (18 months), but I'd like to start introducing the idea. The other day, he looked at me and said his word for poop so I checked his diaper and didn't see anything - but then less than a minute later he pooped. It may have been a coincidence, but I think he knew it was coming. He's also in the past been able to identify the difference between a poop and a fart (I hate that word, we teach him to call it "toot toot").

We bought a potty from Target (perhaps jumped the gun) and now I'm wondering what the heck to do with it. Should I just let him sit on it sometimes and get used to it? Try putting him on it when he wakes up from his nap (when he always pees)? If it means anything, he's at the age where he loves following instructions and "helping" (to put things away, to clean up, to carry groceries inside, etc.).
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would say with him being so young to let him drive it himself. If he wants to sit on the potty then let him...if not then don't force the issue. I would try before bathtime letting him sit on it...or when you get him dressed in the morning. If he seems interested or asks...let him sit on it. Of course, sometimes it becomes a game...especially when they know your busy.

I've been using this technique with Chas...he is slowly training himself. Of course he's a year older than Solomon. I didn't even consider the potty with him at 18 months.

Good Luck!!
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I'd say pick a couple of times during the day to let him sit on the potty. Right after he wakes up is a good time (especially if he pees then). Before bath is a good time too. Don't ask "do you want to go potty" but say "let's sit on the potty now". Of course if he resists, don't force him.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Oh yeah, if he goes into the bathroom with you when you go, tell him what youare doing and what is going on. He may like sitting on the potty while you pee.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    The other day, he looked at me and said his word for poop so I checked his diaper and didn't see anything - but then less than a minute later he pooped.

That just cracked me up b/c the other day, I was emptying Harry's diaper into the toilet and he looked over to what I was doing (while "helping" pull all the TP off the roll) and pointed and said his word for "cookie". I think he would be very disappointed at the difference. :laughing9:

No advice, but if he is able to tell you when he's going, about to go or has gone, it can't hurt to introduce the idea.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I would say the same as Geeky in regards to letting him sit on the potty when you do. It can help that he hears the peeing and maybe recognizes it himself. I plan to put BK on the potty soon, as soon as I get it back in my hands (long story, lol).
    I was potty trained at 18 months, so it's def not too early.

• Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I started training Lucy at 18 months and I'm just starting to train Sophia at 18 months. It's definitely not too early.

This is what I did with Lucy - every time she pooped I would say, "oh you're pooping now" or something to that effect so she would know what she was doing. I knew she was pooping because she would stop playing and just stand still. Actually I started doing that before I officially starting potty training her.

She would always come to the bathroom with me and she would take the TP and 'wipe' herself just like I did. She was totally into imitating me so I figured I'd run with it.

We started on the little potty chair a few times a day. It was totally random if she peed or not. She didn't make the connection until I put her on the actual toilet and she heard the same sound that I made when I peed. Then I could usually get her to pee if I put her on the toilet.

She still peed in her pull ups, but she was learning how to control her bladder and make herself go. She was in that half trained state for a while. It wasn't until I ditched the pull ups and she wet herself a few times that she was able to really be trained.

Poop was another issue. She always pooped when she napped, so she would wear underwear until naptime and then I switched her into a pull up. I knew she could control it because if for some reason she didn't nap, she also didn't poop.

I started having her sit on the toilet before her nap. We read stories and for about two weeks nothing - but then one day she did it and she was soooo excited to see her poop. She's been pooping on the potty ever since.

We still read the stories and some days we could be in there for a half an hour, but I try to look at it as quality time - it's a little stinky, but she seems to enjoy it.

It will be interesting to see how Sophia does compared to Lucy.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I'll start putting him on it after nap, before bath, and whenever I go. I also like the idea of saying "You're pooping now" so he can continue to recognize.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    We bought DD a potty chair a couple months ago along with Elmo's "Potty Time" DVD. We watch the DVD once a week or so just to introduce the idea. We haven't gotten much further than that though. She follows me into the bathroom (along with the cat - it gets crowded in the bathroom) and we talk about what I'm doing.

I figure some day she'll express more interest and we'll go from there. :dontknow:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    We introduced the potty at 2 years...

Now at 2.5 he still does not care for it...he HATES sitting on it without a diaper on, but will sit there with his pants on so we are just following his lead. he sits in there when DH and I are in the bathroom and says potty...he is getting the idea, but we are not pushing the issue.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    We bought DD a potty chair a couple months ago along with Elmo's "Potty Time" DVD. We watch the DVD once a week or so just to introduce the idea. We haven't gotten much further than that though. She follows me into the bathroom (along with the cat - it gets crowded in the bathroom) and we talk about what I'm doing.

I figure some day she'll express more interest and we'll go from there. :dontknow:

The songs on that DVD are so catchy. I find myself doing dishes and singing "The Dirty Diaper Blues"...LOL:toothy8:
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    in my experience, it's not too early at all. have you heard of elimination communication? in lots of cultures, potty training is introduced from infancy.

you are on the right track - he is aware of his bodily functions, he already wants to imitate you, etc. it is a logical time to explore the idea. the 'readiness' theory is really somewhat flawed. the book 'diaper free before age three' is a good introduction to the idea of early potty training. it's actually natural for a baby not to want to soil him/herself.

here's what we are doing with our potty:

we just have it sitting around, she can play with it, sit on it, etc. i bring it to the bathroom when i have to go, and tell her what i'm doing and that her potty is a place for her to go pee pee or poopy. (she knows the asl sign for 'potty' and uses it).

when i have time, i let her go diaperless in the house (i put leggings on her to catch any pee, since she is too tiny for all the commercially sold training pants, and i'm too poor to buy the custom made, organic fancy schmancy ec pants hee!).

this does two things - lets me start to get used to what her peeing schedule, cues, etc. are - like for example, you know he pees right when he gets up (most babies do) or a certain time after he eats or drinks, etc. then you can have him try a sit when you think he might have to go. i sit her down and smile and say 'go pee pee!' or 'go poopy!' if she doesn't want to, no big deal, she gets up and goes on about her business.

it also lets her know what the sensation of wetting is - i say 'pee pee!' gleefully when she pees (on or off the potty) so she knows and associates. then i sit her on the potty and tell here that's where pee pee goes. it's all in a very light hearted and no-biggie vibe.

poop is easy for us with her, because she has tell-tale signs before hand - eyes water, she pauses in mid-air, face gets red, etc. i just have her sit down and she has gone poopy on the potty 4 times that way. she's gone pee pee twice. we introduced the potty about a month a go.

it's just about letting them get used to the idea, connecting the sensation and where to go, etc. there's no pressure. it's a fine time to capitalize on their instinct to imitate us at this age, they want to do whatever we do already, it's how they are learning everything else about life! it think it makes a lot more sense than waiting until they are at a developmentally oppositional stage!! (:

good luck - have fun!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mayim, it's fun to hear you are doing EC too. Lydia has been pooping on the potty for a while now. She often goes just after we wake up in the morning, and at other times too when I see those obvious signs that you described.

Pixie, if you want to read about starting early in a way like Mayim described, I would recommend Early Start Potty Training. I haven't read the sections for older kids yet, but you might find it helpful.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    mayim and BEG, I have heard of EC. As I understand it, isn't that more about training yourself to recognize their cues and put them on the potty when it's time, rather than teaching the baby to recognize when they need to go? Although I imagine that as EC babies get older they learn to recognize it themselves as well.

My MIL bought him a book about potties this weekend so we'll have to start reading it too.

I've often wanted to let him be diaperless around the house (especially if he's got a rash that needs airtime) but I have no idea how to do it without the mess! I usually end up just letting him go coverless in a prefold instead, or use a wool cover because it's breathable.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file