permanent color and curlies

cara4artcara4art Posts: 34Registered Users
I hear a lot about curlies doing better with demi-permanent color like Robert Craig, etc. but how many people here who color their hair have to use permanent color due to too much grey in their hair, or that one is lightening up slightly to a brighter warmer color? I'm not talking heavy bleach peroxide blond jobs here - just a shade or two! I use permanent color myself(just box Preference, and I use my coupons religiously to get it cheaper), since I have very unevenly distributed grey. While it would be all ideal and natural to just let it go grey, it would NOT suit my complexion at all, nor my general look(as I look a lot younger than my age). Even though demi-permanent color would be less effective, should I still switch over to it anyway, to have a gentler haircolor? A little confused here. I've been coloring my hair with permanent color for more than 20 years(now 61). Lately, finally(just this past months)I've gotten past just using the box conditioner for my occasional treatments, and actually sprang for some Sally's generic K-pak, and L'Oreal's Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Cream for DTs. I'm so minimalist that before I got into coloring my hair I never even used conditioner - I would just shampoo with whatever and that was it!

Comments

• mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Curl Novice Posts: 155Registered Users Curl Novice
    Tonya, the curl chemst has some interesting points, on the diff colors(permanent ect..)may be under glycerin.Im kinda the same boat,I thought Robert craig was perm...ordered in haste...for greyI get mine done ,pro,because of delicate ,fine hair,she says stick with the permanent kind.semi, wont do the job,fades right off the grey, and for reds and golds, watch glycerin(in facial cleansers too.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Curl Connoisseur Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RC's Color is considered a permanent deposit-only color. Don't make the mistake of thinking it will fade in a few washes.
    I have used it for over 10 years to successfully cover resistant gray. :)

I do not use my CK right after coloring because of the glycerin though.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Demi and Semi permanent hair colors may deposit and bond to the hair like a full permanent hair color esp with very porus hair. Grey hair, in some people, is porus enough to allow for that.

Keep in mind though, that semi & demi colors are MEANT to fade out/be washed out. Much of this fading and removal via shampoo happens with the sulfate based shampoos, which almost none of us use.

The kicker is that the developer is the most damaging part of hair coloring. Most kits come with either a 20 or 30 volume developer. However, many people find that a 10 volume developer is sufficient to color their hair.

I've written a guide to hair color and posted it as a Google Doc - you can find it here - http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbvtkg8_281dm9gvjfx
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tried semi and demi permanent colors to cover my gray but didn't work. I use Preference by L'oreal and just have to live with whatever damage it is causing. I am careful to deep treat at least once a week.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file