Potty training help!

nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
Danae has finally, on her own, expressed an interest in potty training. The problem we're running into is that she knows when she has to go, but she doesn't seem to know how to hold it in until she gets to the potty. Every time she runs for the bathroom, she leaves a pee trail behind her. I've tried to explain how to hold it in by squeezing in her tummy and bottom, but I guess the way I'm explaning it isn't working. She's really trying, and I don't want her to get frustrated and give up. Help!
"Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
Password: orphanannie

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    It sounds like maybe when she realizes she has to go, it is a bit too late. Can you detect any pattern to her peeing? If so, you can suggest she tries to sit on the potty a few minutes before it gets to the GOTTA GO NOW stage.

You don't want her to learn to hold it, you really want her to learn to recognize the feeling earlier.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Not really. She hides when she has to poop, but not pee. She doesn't do a pee-pee dance or crotch grab or anything. All of a sudden, she'll just say, "Potty!" and a second later, the pee is coming out! I guess I'll try to observe to see if she has any subtle cues I'm missing.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Is there any time pattern to when she pees? Like right after naps or however many minutes after she drinks or anything like that. I would work with that.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    I did read a suggestion on another board about keeping a log of when she goes for a few days to see if a pattern emerges. It's worth a shot, at least! Her poop schedule is so easy to predict because she's like clockwork with that (in fact, she made her first poop in the potty today). Her pee schedule seems more erratic, but I'm sure if I start writing it down, I'll see it more clearly.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd have her checked for a UTI, just to be sure there's no physical reason for the "urge incontinence", because she seems old enough to be able to hold it for a few minutes without leaking.
    Hmm...I never thought of a UTI. She's never complained about pain when peeing, but then again, she rarely complains when she's sick or hurting (unless it's the normal toddler pratfall stuff). I'll have to call her pediatrician and see what she says.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. I honestly think I'm just not communicating the idea to her in a way she understands, but I don't know what else to say! I've tried every way I know how to explain the feeling of a full bladder to her, including showing her on her tummy where her bladder is so she knows what I'm talking about. I guess I'm just feeling like a mommy failure right now. I know it's stupid; everyone learns how to use the toilet eventually. It's probably all the stupid hormones I'm on right now messing with my mood, but I feel like a total moron right now. I want to cry from frustration because the poor little girl is really trying to make it to the potty in time, but it's just not happening. This afternoon, she was literally 6 inches from the bathroom and didn't make it.

Anyway, sorry for the pity party. I just needed to vent.

• ninadefninadef Posts: 243Registered Users
    I say just give it time.
    She's learning to listne to her body and recognize when it needs to do what.

I've had plenty of pee trails from my boys, which is one of the reasons it is so much easier to potty train in the summer.

I noticed with all of them that it was easier to let them run around bottom-less in the beginning. It seemed like underwear made them feel the need less, i don't know why.
    Needless to say they are all underwear wearers nowadays (although my youngest still prefers naked when at home)!:eye:
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I think one of the most interesting thoughts about potty learning that I've read is getting into the habit of reminding a child to go often so that they don't always wait until the very last minute. As adults, for example, we often go before leaving the house whether we feel the need to go or not.

Also, food allergies can show up as incontinence, and there are some common foods that are diuretics, such as butternut squash and watermelon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file