Your C-section experience - UPDATE pg 2!

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm still trying to convince this little guy to turn, but I would like to be prepared for the possibility that he will not. He's already measuring large for gestational age and I feel like he is running out of room, as am I. My doctor is not worried, and I trust her completely. I had a great birth with her the first time and I never even considered the possibility of a c-section. Now that it might happen, I feel very unprepared. I've done some reading in the last day or so and it kind of scares the crap out of me.

Those of you who had c-sections, what was the experience like? How was recovery? How was it caring for a newborn (and older children) after surgery? Did it affect bonding or nursing for you and your baby?
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    My recovery was very easy. I felt great and had no problems. That said, I didn't have a toddler at home either. I didn't have any problems holding DD, picking her up, or nursing.

My c-section wasn't planned. I was in labor for 17 hours, so I didn't have any problems with bonding. I had plenty of oxytocin.

Good luck! I hope baby turns for you!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have had two planned c-sections. My first was due to Chas being breech. He never turned. He is still stubborn today. I never had any problems with bonding or breastfeeding. Both of my kiddos latched easily and I was able to breastfeed as soon as I was back in the recovery room. The hardest time is the first 2 weeks. I found the first week very hard getting in and out of the bed to get the little one to nurse so I had daddy do that. He would get out...hand her to me and then go back to sleep. I swear he did this sleepwalking.

With my first I found the first 2 weeks worse than with the 2nd c-section...but I found myself taking longer overall to recover from the 2nd c-section. This could be that I was out of shape for the 2nd c-section.

With a second kiddo in the house the hardest part is not picking them up. You must not do this especially the first 2 weeks. Start weaning them now..letting them climb into their chairs, carseat, lap etc. The other part of having kiddos at home is that daddy wasn't able to stay at the hospital with me as much. I enjoyed the quiet but I also missed us two getting to just relish and enjoy the little one all to ourselves.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I have had 2 c-sections. With my first, my contractions died at 5 1/2 centimeters. Pitocin did nothing for them and made them even weaker (strange, I know). After 13 hours of waiting my son was delivered via c-section. He was 9 lbs. 3.2 oz., 21 in. long and had a 15" head. He turned sideways on the way down and got stuck.

That recovery was a little difficult, but really only for the first few days. After laboring and needing 5 doses of anesthesia to numb me enough for my c-section (I have a high tolerance to anesthesia and developed a fever that was also making me metabolize the anesthesia really quickly) my body was pretty beaten up and I was in a huge amount of pain after surgery. I could barely walk the 10 or so steps across the room to go to the bathroom. It wasn't incision pain, but gas pains. They were the most painful part. I also had a lot of pain from them moving my already taxed abdominal muscles out of the way during surgery.

I had some pain for a little over a week and couldn't walk very fast for about as long, but had no trouble carrying my son or holding him to nurse. I had no real trouble going up the stairs in my house either, though I was slow for a while.

I had no trouble nursing. My son was brought to me 20 minutes after his birth while I was in the recovery room and he nursed like he had always been doing it.

My daughter was delivered by scheduled RCS at 38 weeks because I had severe gestational diabetes (didn't have it the first time). My recovery with her was easier. She was born at noon and I was getting out of bed on my own by 7 that evening. I had little trouble walking and very little pain in comparison. I was sore and a bit stiff feeling but was moving around fine, if a bit slowly for the first day or so.

My daughter wasn't brought to me for about 3 hours after her birth because she was having trouble keeping up her temperature so was put under the lights in the nursery. She was brought to me after I sent my husband to demand they bring her so I could nurse her and warm her properly myself under threat of me getting out of bed with my anesthesia barely worn off to go get her myself.

She had a small latch issue because she didn't get to nurse right away like her brother did. She wouldn't open her mouth enough. No matter how long I waited or coaxed her she would only purse her lips and open her mouth like she was going to whistle. She was smaller than her brother at 6 lbs. 8.9 oz. and 19 in. long. But she was also born 18 days earlier than he (he was 4 days past my due date). Because she was delivered at 38 weeks had had little fat on her body. Within 24 hours she lost almost 8 oz. and dropped to 6 lbs. 1 oz. We were a little worried about her rapid weight loss because she was having latch issues and already had little fat--her skin was loose on her hands and feet/ankles. They told me that evening they were going to weigh her again in the morning and if she lost anymore weight we would have to supplement. At around 7 PM that evening my milk came in--barely 36 hours after her birth. The nurses thought I was imagining it. LOL The next morning at her weight check she had gained 2 oz. She was almost back up to her birth weight when we left the hospital the next day.

I probably would have had way more issues nursing my daughter if she was my first child. But I knew what I was doing and had helped a lot of women I knew with latch issues when they nursed so didn't stress much and was able to fix it pretty quickly.

I don't think it was the c-section itself that caused the problem as much as her not being brought to me to nurse within an hour of her birth and her being born a couple of weeks earlier than she should have.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I only have one kiddo. My c-section was an emergency one, but I had no problem bonding with my baby or breastfeeding her. Since she was little, there were no issues picking her up, either. I recovered pretty quickly; I was able to shower the next day with only minimal assistance to get into the shower. The hardest part for me was taking it easy once I got home; luckily, my mom, dad, and DH were all around for the first two weeks to help with laundry, cleaning, etc., so that all I had to do was worry about the baby.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have one child and had a c-section. I was so tired by the time they decided to do one that I kept dozing off while I was on the OR table. I had to ask what sex the baby was because I had fallen asleep when they announced it! I was tired and glad it was over with. Hubby went with her to cut the cord and I had to go to the recovery room. By the time I got back to my room, it was just hubby and baby there and it was really nice. I wasn't in any pain yet just tired still but we got to do some nice bonding/breast time.

They wouldn't let me get out of bed for 8 or 12 hours but I really didn't feel like it anyway, I just wanted rest. By the time I could get up, I had started feeling pain and it was hard to get up out of bed but I was able do so by myself by just using the bedrail anytime I wanted. I showered the day after and stayed in there forever because it just felt so good. I walked a lot in the halls afterwards until they discharged me and the nurses commented that I was up moving more than most moms but it just felt good to move around. Sitting is what hurt the most because of the pressure on the incision so I just made sure to get up every half hour or so and move around a bit.

I had the c-sec Saturday evening and left the hospital on Monday at noon. I had my mom and my husband to help at home but I felt like doing things because it felt good to move around. I just got very tired that way. They sent me home with Percocet and Tylenol and I didn't even finish the Percocet because I didn't feel like I needed it after the first few days. The hardest thing was getting out of bed but I just pushed off on the nightstand and sometimes the wall to help me get up. And the first night home my husband made me laugh really hard and that was a major ouch to the incision!

I never had problems taking care of the baby but I didn't have an older one to deal with either. Good luck to you. I hope everything works out fine no matter which way it goes.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A couple more things I remember. With my first, they ran the pain medicine into an IV with my second they did ran the pain medicine into an epideral line they put in. Having the pain medicine in an epideral line was so much better. It went directly to the pain areas and I was less groggy and my recovery such as bladder etc was quicker.

Also, a key to recovery is to get up and move as quick as they will let you. The longer you stay in bed the harder it is to move the first time plus get your bowels moving.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hearing about the trouble everyone has getting up out of bed is making me wonder if it can be any worse than the pelvic pain I have now. Getting up is excruciating, as is rolling over and walking - especially stairs. I have to brace myself against the headboard and then walls and furniture in order to get walking.

It's encouraging to hear so many of you had no trouble bonding or feeding. I didn't get to hold DS1 for a few hours after due to complications with both of us, so I was worried that a c-section would mean even more separation than that. Sounds like it may not.

The thing that scares me, I guess, is lack of control. I don't like the idea of not being in control of my child's birth. I know, to a certain extent, we never really are in control of it, but a c-section really feels like it goes beyond that. Does that make sense?
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    The thing that scares me, I guess, is lack of control. I don't like the idea of not being in control of my child's birth. I know, to a certain extent, we never really are in control of it, but a c-section really feels like it goes beyond that. Does that make sense?

Going to sound strange but I felt so at peace after the decision to do a c-sec was reached. Of course, I had been having contractions for more than a day and had not dilated at all and the thought of having to keep going for God knows how long was so overwhelming to me. I think I was just glad it was going to be over with.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    Have you seen a chiroprator? if not you should look into one that does the webster technique, here's a link where you can search for one in your area.
    http://www.icpa4kids.org/locator/index.php

It will say under their name if they are certified in the webster technique. Good luck cause a c-section is serious stuff and in my opinion best avoided if possible.

• NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Hearing about the trouble everyone has getting up out of bed is making me wonder if it can be any worse than the pelvic pain I have now. Getting up is excruciating, as is rolling over and walking - especially stairs. I have to brace myself against the headboard and then walls and furniture in order to get walking.

I had SPD (also called PGP--Pelvic Girdle Pain) with both pregnancies. http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm#Symptoms

It was excruciating. Turning over in bed at night used to wake me up because of the pain. I could barely walk and going up stairs or getting into my car was torment. It hurt SOOO bad! BUT, recovery from the major surgery of a c-section is a different pain and hurt worse in its way, though I can't say that it hurt more. The pain wasn't as sharp or stabbing but it was much more constant and affected almost every movement. Thankfully, it lasted for a much shorter time than my SPD did.

I can understand the feeling of a loss of control with a c-section. I was terrified of having the surgery and cried most of the way through my first. It was hard to put myself completely in the hands of my doctor like that. I think all surgery carries that fear, but when you add the life of your child to that it makes it that much more frightening.

Good luck to you. I hope your baby turns and this is something you don't have to worry about. Very, very few don't and many turn during the early stages of labor if they don't before.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice

It absolutely makes sense, fuzzbucket. That's exactly how I felt when I had to have my c-section. It was not at all in my birthplan; I planned to have a drug-free delivery, but that's not how it played out. I felt out of control and like a bad mommy because things didn't go the way I planned. As soon as they laid my little girl in my arms, though, all of that fear and guilt went away. She was healthy and beautiful and that's all that mattered.

I hope your little one turns and you don't have to have a c-section, but if you do, just know you're a great mom, regardless. Be kind to yourself as you recover and enjoy your little one! :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I wound up with a c-section after 27 hours of labour and getting stuck at 8 cm dilation. What actually prompted the c-section was that I spiked a big fever, and DS's heartrate spike.

I didn't have any issues with bonding with him - he was wrapped up and in my arms when they wheeled me out of the OR. Breastfeeding, although there were some challenges, went well. I breastfed him until he was 16 months old.

Recovery went well, but it was slow. My nurses told me it was important to take my pain meds as it would help me to heal and to relax while nursing DS. Moving around is pretty slow for the first 3 weeks. You don't really realize how much you depend on your abdominal muscles until you've had major abdominal surgery. My doctor said I couldn't lift anything heavier than 10 pounds, do any vacuuming, do any laundry (the motions of both of these could affect healing), or push/pull anything too heavy.

IDK - I think the immediate (1-3 days post op) recovery can depend on whether it is a planned c-section or whether you've laboured for hours beforehand. That's just my theory.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had 3 c-secs. Two emergency c-secs after laboring for long hours, and one planned c-sec without labor. Laboring or not laboring made no difference in terms of recovery. In fact, I was rather pissed after my 2nd c-sec (the planned one), because the doctor had told me recovery wouldn't be as bad because I hadn't labored first, but it really wasn't any different. I felt deceived. It's a surgical recovery, like any other abdominal surgical recovery...it hurts for 6 weeks, especially the first week.

Unfortunately, having c-secs did affect my ability to breastfeed. I failed with breastfeeding the first 2 babies, because it just hurt too much, and I was in too much pain from the surgery to be able to bear it. I had extreme breastfeeding pain with my homebirthed baby too, so maybe you can't go by me. Breastfeeding was never an easy experience for me.

Bonding...no problem. I loved them all immediately, regardless of how they were born.

I would urge you to do everything you can to avoid a c-sec if you can. As a woman who has already had a successful vaginal delivery, it seems like a crime to do a c-sec. Have you tried all the midwifery "tricks" to turn a breech? Lying in inverted position? Bag of frozen peas on the fundus? Somersaults in a warm pool? If baby still doesn't turn, I'd go for an external version before submitting to surgery. If that didn't work, and if baby is in frank breech and not footling, I'd try a vaginal breech delivery before I'd willingly have another c-sec, but that's just me.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The loss of control thing was a big issue for me, though in a different way. I knew I had to have a c-section as I had placenta praevia but what got me was they wanted me to have a GA and I wanted a spinal block/epidural - I just wanted to "be there" when he was born. I was still arguing my case when I had a (2nd) bleed and it was an emercency section and I had a GA after all. Still annoys me but I had my little boy so it didn't really matter. He was prem, jaundiced, low temp and spent a few days in the neo-natal unit so I saw very little of him for that time, I was still recovering from the GA and not quite with it! I am still peed off that my SO held and fed him before I did, but that's the way it was and I'm digressing.

The bonding thing was never an issue, he was such a tiny pathetic looking baby that I just instantly clicked with him and wanted to do anything I could for him and I have to admit, have always felt closer to him than my older son. I did have bfeeding issues but that was due to undiagnosed thrush, not anything else.

My recovery wasn't an issue, once I'd got over the GA. I actually found the pain from the c-section to be less than the pain from the vaginal delivery and it was also easier to deal with - where the pain was coming from was easier to deal with, the vaginal pain I'd had with DS1 was very awkward for me, if that makes sense! I remember the seatbelt in the car irritating me though!

I don't remember having too much trouble dealing with my 3 year old, he was so good and understanding (don't know where that child went!). But then again I had my mum here with me for 3 months, then my dad came and after they'd left my mil came for about 3 weeks, so I did have a lot of support.

I'm sure you'll be fine whatever happens, so long as the baby's healthy, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

As a side note - my first son was breech and they did an external version (or some such, can't remember what the procedure was called exactly) is that an option. I'm not sure they do it here in Oz any more, someone told me they didn't but it did work for me.
    3b in South Australia.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I've had 3 csections, and only the 3rd one was planned. I hope you can avoid it if you can. There are a lot of limitations after you've had your csection. You can't drive for a few weeks, no heavy lifting (hard to deal with with another little one), limit stairs, you really have to take it easy.

If you do have a csection, ask to speak with the anesthisiologist to see what their deal is. My 1st I remember hearing the baby cry and told my DH to go with the baby and the next thing you know I'm waking up in the recovery area. Apparently they give you some sort of amnesiac. My 2nd was an emergency csection where I had GA. So for my 3rd I made it very clear that I wanted to be awake for the whole thingand not wake up all confused. I was able to see the baby, touch him, and give him kisses, which meant a lot to me since I never got that with the other 2. I never had any bf issues. I'd offer the breast first and then give formula until my milk came in. There was no nipple confusion or any thing like that.
    Thanks to everyone for their stories and suggestions. Rest assured, we're doing all we can to get the baby to turn. I just want to feel prepared in case he does not. He seems pretty comfy where he is. I'm sure not, though.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I know I posted this before, but Aidan was 37, maybe 38 weeks before he turned the final time- the midwife had scheduled me for another ultrasound, which I had at 38 weeks and he was vertex. She was going to schedule an external version at 39 weeks, but fortunately he stayed put. I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees and talking to him about turning.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I had a c-section after 2 hours of pushing and 25 hours of Pitocin so by the time I got into the OR I was physically and emotionally spent. I felt very sick during my entire section and I was feeling pretty devastating that it had all come down to a c-section. So, honestly, yes I do think it interfered with initial bonding. I felt so awful I didn't even want to look at her for the first hour or two of her life. I didn't have my glasses on during the surgery so I couldn't see her face very clearly. And I was afraid if I put her to breast that I would vomit on her.

However, I did nurse her within her first two hours and we have never had breastfeeding problems (at least not that can be attributed to the c/s).

Recovery was easier than I expected. I was on pain meds for only 5 days. I was exhausted for weeks after, but I don't have a vaginal delivery to compare that with. I needed some help the first couple of weeks, but caring for her while recovering was definitely doable.

GL. I am guessing a planned c/s will be easier than mine was and probably a better experience for you.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I had a C-sec b/c my baby was breech. I was terrified of labor/birth, so I was actually kinda relieved! I was very comfortable during the entire procedure. I was talking to the doctors & nurses the entire time. I asked questions about what they were doing,etc. It was a wonderful experience for me. The only parts I didn't like were when they went to bathe him, I couldn't see what they were doing. My husband went & took pictures for me though. And, while they were stitching me up and moving me into the recovery room, River & my husband were elsewhere. It seemed like they didn't put him int eh room with me for a long time. Actually, I was alone in the room for awhile. :( No problems bonding- I was in love! Breastfeeding didn't go so well... He was sooooooo sleepy. I honestly thing that b/c he didn't have to experience vaginal birth, that he wasn't aware that he was OUT! He slept & slept. No matter what we didn, he wouldn't eat without fallign asleep within seconds. Everyone assured me"he wont starve- he will eat when he is hungry. BULL*****- he would have slept all night & day if we hadn't kept harrassing him to eat... The lactation lady was a ******...and stupid. She gave me the nipple guard, which completely turned him off of regular nipples completely. He only wanted the plastic texture after that. It was a battle the entire time I breastfed (1 month).
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I have had 2 c-sections. The second one (which was planned) was such an easier recovery because I hadn't labored for hours and hours. Plus, it was kind of nice knowing exactly when I would have my baby. I had no problems bonding or breastfeeding. I actually think breastfeeding went so well because the nurses and the lactation consultant were right there to help me the entire time I stayed in the hospital, which was 5 days. And I wouldn't have a c-section for this reason, but it was nice that my work gave me an extra 2 weeks paid time off (8 weeks instead of 6 for a vaginal birth). On the downside, I do think recovery is longer and my stomach is a wreck - I definitely have the "c-section shelf".
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    sunday...don't you run about 15 miles a week? Has that helped to minimize the shelf? :confused3:
    You would think... I just can't get rid of that area no matter how much I work out.
    3 something
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I don't think that's unique to a c section though (maybe the specific pattern is)- I've had 3 vaginal births, and while I don't have a scar, I can't seem to fix that area no matter what I do.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Although my C was unplanned (and definitely unwanted), I had a good experience during the procedure and my recovery was fairly easy. The OR staff were wonderful and I was up and out of bed within a few hours of the procedure. I was off the "good drugs" the first day and off pain meds entirely within three days. I haven't really had any residual pain or problems.

I don't think I had any difficulty bonding with my baby, but my milk did take about six days to come in and that caused me a lot of stress (mostly because the stupid nurses told me I wouldn't be able to breastfeed and that I was starving my baby. I'm not sure if that's attributable to the section or not. Once my milk did come in, I had no problems breastfeeding Lucas.

My experience with induction was pretty horrible, so if I had to choose between planned section and inductin, I'd pick a section in a heartbeat.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    I also forgot to add (and this happened after my second c-section, not my first) that there is about a two inch area underneath my scar on my left side where I have no feeling. I literally think I could stab myself there and not feel it.
    3 something
    Although my C was unplanned (and definitely unwanted), I had a good experience during the procedure and my recovery was fairly easy. The OR staff were wonderful and I was up and out of bed within a few hours of the procedure. I was off the "good drugs" the first day and off pain meds entirely within three days. I haven't really had any residual pain or problems.

I don't think I had any difficulty bonding with my baby, but my milk did take about six days to come in and that caused me a lot of stress (mostly because the stupid nurses told me I wouldn't be able to breastfeed and that I was starving my baby. I'm not sure if that's attributable to the section or not. Once my milk did come in, I had no problems breastfeeding Lucas.

My experience with induction was pretty horrible, so if I had to choose between planned section and inductin, I'd pick a section in a heartbeat.

With Harry, my milk took 5 days to come in, so that may not be unique to a c-section. Once it came in, we were fine too.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had 3 c-sections. Recovery was easiest with my 2nd one. My oldest was 18 months old, we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, and I was up and active within days. A week after she was born I walked 5 miles.
    As for getting the c-sections, the first was done while under general anesthesia. I didn't like that I didn't get to see any of my kids for hours after they were delivered because of my recovery from the general (for #1) and the epidural and shakes (#2 and 3). Also, #3 was a month early (despite being 8 lb 9 oz) and had to be in an incubator with oxygen for several hours. I think the first and third were away from me for 6 hours, the second was maybe an hour or 3.
    Despite the early separation, c-sections didn't affect bonding or our nursing relationship.
    I had an epidural headache with the 3rd so recovery was much slower with that one. I had two blood patches before the headache went away. The headache is because when the epidural was put in some spinal fluid leaks out, which creates a gap of spinal fluid when you're more upright than horizontal. Without the blood patch it can take up to 2 months for the body to replenish the fluid and the headache goes away.
    My vertebra are close together so there was difficulty inserting the epidural needle. After 12 attempts they switched to a spinal needle, and got it in. That was with #2. With #3, the anesthesiologist remembered me (2 years later) and only needed 4 attempts to get it in. There was a lot of pressure and a little pain and discomfort getting the epidural.
    I didn't like being strapped down with my arms stretched out, for the surgery. I hated being naked under that stupid drape. It was hard to deal with the shakes with the soreness of the surgery. I had work hard to relax my body and not fight the shaking because fighting it made it worse.
    Having a small pillow to hold over the incision helped when I had to use the stomach muscles, like when coughing or getting up. Morphine was a great pain killer, but bloated me. Vicodin was great without the water retention.
    My first one was something of an emergency situation so my external scar is vertical, but the muscle and uterus were horizontal incisions. The skin hasn't recovered and is similar to a butt under my belly button. The first scar was bad and looked like a gummy worm on my stomach. The second was awesome and only a very thin white line. The third is more like the second, but not as fantastic.
    To help me recover faster, I made myself stand up as straight as possible whenever I was up; no hunching over. Don't do too much; rest when you're tired, take pain meds when you need it. Don't try to get through the pain because then you won't move around as much and it'll take longer to recover. Eat well and very healthy food to help you recover faster, too.
    It's not the end of the world if you end up getting a c-section. Be as informed as you can be. Asking for our experiences is a great idea.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Finger's crossed, but it looks like baby Nathan may have turned. He seems to have his arm over his head, though. I have an ultrasound on Friday to check for sure, but we may be out of the woods.

Now if only these pre-term labor contractions would lead somewhere! :binky:
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    My c-section was unplanned. My issues with the surgery were more because of the events leading to it (induction that amounted to 1 1/2 days of BSing).

Recovery was not bad--I was up and moving the next day and I felt so much better once I was home in my own bed. I live in a townhouse so the "don't go up the stairs" rule was useless--the bedrooms are on the third floor! I got around just fine.

My milk came in the day I left the hospital (day 3?) I didn't have nursing issues but it pissed me off that I was in the recovery area for 3 hours and no one helped me get her latched. I had to fend for myself once I was in my room (and by then it was evening and the lactation consultants were gone)

One thing I did not expect was that I would weigh exactly what I weighed pregnant after I came home. They pumped me so full of fluids in the hospital that my skin was tight. It took about a week for the swelling to go down.

The advantage of a planned c-section is that you can do your research and go in informed. Good luck!
    He flipped! I had an internal check on Tuesday and my OB thought she felt a head with an arm over it. Sure enough, he was head down and in a nice comfy position today at my ultrasound. He didn't do one big flip, but slowly turned from breech to transverse to head down over the last two weeks. So now, we can just look forward to a normal birth and recovery. Yay!

The other good news is that they had seen a bright spot on his heart at 18 weeks that was a soft marker for Down's Syndrome. No sign of it today. Just healthy, happy baby who is on track to be about Harry's size (8lbs, 13 oz) or a little smaller.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. It really helped me feel more calm about having a c-section. While I know it is still a possibility, as with any hospital birth, I'm glad it is much less likely at this point. I feel much more positive and confident about this birth than I have in weeks. Can't wait to meet this little guy!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file