your kids favorite crafts

subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
last week majerle and i made butterflies using wooden clothes pins and coffee filters. she LOVED it so much that she carries a homemade butterfly with he 24/7 and even sleeps with one.

since that was such a hit at our house, i was wondering what are crafts your kids really got a kick out of? if you dont mind, post instructions or a link to instructions so we can give them a try!

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    We aren't that organized at my house. :oops: DD love Play Doh and Bingo dot markers.

She also enjoys painting at an easel at school.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • LieselLiesel Posts: 189Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    last week majerle and i made butterflies using wooden clothes pins and coffee filters. she LOVED it so much that she carries a homemade butterfly with he 24/7 and even sleeps with one.

since that was such a hit at our house, i was wondering what are crafts your kids really got a kick out of? if you dont mind, post instructions or a link to instructions so we can give them a try!

This sounds adorable! Can you post instructions and/or a photo? I'd love to try to get mine to make one.

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    We also do Play Doh - especially when I am working in the kitchen. DS also has an easel/desk combination that he uses for colouring and painting.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Danae mostly likes anything to do with glue or stickers. She's also a big coloring fan. Sadly, we don't do too many crafty things because I suck at them. DH is better at that sort of thing, so he's usually the one to do cool stuff with her.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    The craftiest things we do are Play-Doh and coloring. I've been meaning to check out the PBS Kids website, because I think they might have craft projects. I also have a book called The Toddler's Busy Book that has little crafts and activities, but I've mostly been a slacker in that department. :oops:
    ehLB.jpg
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Karan loves making greeting cards. Aka folding up a piece of construction paper and sticking things on it. Usually I'll write something inside for him. And then he proudly gives it to Daddy when he comes home.

He also loves scissors and cutting paper.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Danae mostly likes anything to do with glue or stickers. She's also a big coloring fan. Sadly, we don't do too many crafty things because I suck at them. DH is better at that sort of thing, so he's usually the one to do cool stuff with her.

Ah, kids don't care what they look like, it's the fun that's most important to them. You can always tell people DD made something if it turns out not so great. :iconbiggrin:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xander likes stamps. I didn't think he was trustworthy enough to not do them on the walls and furniture but he has turned out to be quite responsible.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    Xander likes stamps. I didn't think he was trustworthy enough to not do them on the walls and furniture but he has turned out to be quite responsible.

Are you the one who has the Melissa and Doug stamp set? I've been looking for that everywhere, and can't find it. I think Karan would enjoy that.

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Liesel wrote: »

This sounds adorable! Can you post instructions and/or a photo? I'd love to try to get mine to make one.
    coffee filter butterflies: http://sycamorestirrings.blogspot.com/2008/05/coffee-filter-butterflies-tutorial.html

we used clothes pins instead of pipe cleaners and drew a face on the clothes pin.

i just found this blog, so i think i may have answered my own question.:iconbiggrin:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DarkAngel wrote: »

Are you the one who has the Melissa and Doug stamp set? I've been looking for that everywhere, and can't find it. I think Karan would enjoy that.

That's us! You can't order from their website? What about Amazon or Ebay?
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I try to do crafts based on seasons and holidays. Over the winter we did paper cut out snowflakes,

Snowmen, which were just 3 different sized circles, black paper eyes, foam stick on triangle noses, and hats, covered in cotton balls.

Penguins w/ black round bodies and heads, and smaller white bellies and faces, small circles for arms legs, etc

For spring we've made turtles, sunflowers, and a house on a blue sky backround with trees and bushes, etc.

Mostly I use construction paper, kid craft scissors, stick on foam shapes, colored puff balls, googly eyes - simple art supply stuff like that.

I use things around the house as shapes to trace with - the bottom of a coffee mug, the inside of a handle of scissors, a picture frame - and I break everything down into simple shapes.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Posts: 347Registered Users
    I don't have kids (yet!) but when I was a kid, we loved making paper mache pinatas with mom.

We used pieces of newspaper dipped in a water/flour mixture and put it on a big balloon. After we let it hang dry a few hours, we would glue colorful tissue paper on it or paint it.

We also liked to sew, make potholders on a loom, cross-stitch, etc.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Before Christmas, we did those applesauce and cinnamon ornaments and those were really easy. I guess they don't have to be Christmas ornaments, any cookie cutter shape will do and they smell nice.

We also do a lot of stuff involving hand prints in paint or thumb/finger prints with stamp ink pads. You can make TONS of things.

Last week I cut out a bunch of egg shapes and gave her some stickers, pre-cut fabric scraps, and little circles and let her glue stick them on cards for Easter. There are thumb print chicks and bunnies inside.

Paper mache is SUPER easy and kids like it. It's messy so be prepared, but you almost can't mess it up. Once you get the shape down (balloons work well), you can paint them a solid color and then let them decorate it however they like. They may not be pretty but they're fun.

Sock puppets are easy and have been a HUGE hit, as have paper bag puppets.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I found that stamp set at Marshall's around Christmas time for my niece. But Marshall's is a hit or miss for this stuff.

Melissa and Doug do have a website now that you can order stuff.

www.melissaanddoug.com It's only 10.00!!!

Enjoy!
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    My kids both love the Melissa and Doug stamp set. My SIL sent if for one of their birthdays. She ordered it from Amazon.

Mad scientist, if you need help getting your hands on one, I will gladly help. icon7.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file