Sweet Apples and Sausage

notegalnotegal WIRegistered Users Posts: 560
I made this last night and it turned out really well! My SO and I were really impressed with it. He said it was better than he expected! :iconbiggrin: I will definitely make it again.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 large apples, diced
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. cornstarch
2/3 cranberry-apple juice
1 lb. mild Italian sausage

Directions:
1. Cut sausage into one inch chunks.
2. In a large skillet, add oil and saute sausage over medium heat until cooked.
3. Add apple slices; sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until apples are tender.
4. Combine conrstarch and juice until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
5. Server over herb seasoned pasta or with mashed potatoes.

** The only things that I did different were I added a bit more cinnamon than called for a little bit more nutmeg. I also added a little more juice.

I would also drain some of the grease away next time before putting the apples and the rest of the ingredients in the pan. It seemed a bit greasy to me because of the sausage being greasy.
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
Went Deva Care line beginning
September 23, 2009
Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

Comments

• lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Thanks for posting this. I plan on making it tonight! I got Gala apples to use and Johnsonville mild Italian sausage... hope it's good! I plan to serve it on pasta seasoned with olive oil, herbs, and a little bit of parmesan cheese.

I'll let you know how it goes!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • notegalnotegal WIRegistered Users Posts: 560
    lauraloo wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. I plan on making it tonight! I got Gala apples to use and Johnsonville mild Italian sausage... hope it's good! I plan to serve it on pasta seasoned with olive oil, herbs, and a little bit of parmesan cheese.

I actually made it the exact same way! :iconbiggrin: It was awesome! The only difference was my apples were Macintosh. :laughing8: We had the seasoned pasta and parmesan, and it was awesome! Great leftovers too!:toothy8:
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

notegal wrote: »

I actually made it the exact same way! :iconbiggrin: It was awesome! The only difference was my apples were Macintosh. :laughing8: We had the seasoned pasta and parmesan, and it was awesome! Great leftovers too!:toothy8:

:toothy7: Great minds think alike!

Well, SO just finished off a pint of ice cream :banghead: so dinner's not going to be for a while longer. *sigh* I'll update later!

notegal wrote: »

:toothy7: Great minds think alike!

Well, SO just finished off a pint of ice cream :banghead: so dinner's not going to be for a while longer. *sigh* I'll update later!
    How did it turn out? Did you like it?
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

I forgot to come back here and comment... we made this dish successfully a couple of nights ago and it was really good! I was freaked out making it, though... it was like putting together apple pie but it had little bits of sausage all in it!!

I really liked the spicy sausage with the sweetness of the apples. I would've served it over different pasta, though, cause it was sort of hard to get all the food onto one fork-- I used penne because we're trying to use up what's in the cabinets, but I would opt for angel hair if I had a choice.

I also would've cut my apples a bit larger; I was freaking out about adding them to sausage so I made them sort of small, and by the time they cooked down they were hard to spear with a fork.

All in all, a really yummy dish! I love that it's a one-pot deal and fast! I'll definitely be making this again.

:occasion9::wav:

I'm glad it turned out well for you. I will make mine differently next time as well. Probably add more cinnamon and nutmeg like I said to begin with and also more juice. Thanks for the update! Glad you both liked it!
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file