Styling product suggestions please!!

KAnneKAnne Registered Users Posts: 18
Hi everyone!

I need some help! My all time favourite hair gel has been discontinued by sallys (grrrrr) and i cant find a new one!

Here is a list of all thair gels ive tried since starting CG...

- Hairpothics flax seed and aloe (discontinued)
- john frieds frizz ease hair gel - feels horrid on my hair, creates frizzy curls
- Ion stying gel - crap!
- tesemme styling gel - cant remember if thats CG friendly?

and a few others which i forget the names of! Any suggestions of UK styling products would be great (im a poor student so cant afford shipping from overseas!)

Thanks! :) xx

Comments

• AlexaAlexa Registered Users Posts: 208
    Hi KAnne,

Ive been really liking the Andrew Collinge Curl Scrunching Gelle, I have seen it in Tesco & Superdrug.
    It just has a water soluble cone, peg-12 Dimethicone & no drying alcohol.

HTH
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Registered Users Posts: 708
    Boots curl creme - i know you said you'd tried it and it wasnt too great but try combining it with a gel? Umberto Gianinini ( always type too many ni's) Curl friends scunching gel is CG friendly BUT it has alcohol denat which is drying. altho I find if i combine the boots with umberto it comes out nicely. good hold, no frizz.

also trevor sorbie curl cream is CG friendly (boots). its not got strong hold, but it helps frizz, is very light and not gunky at all. maybe combine that with a gel if you want hold too?

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
  • KAnneKAnne Registered Users Posts: 18
    Thanks for your suggestions guys :)
    Boots curl creme - i know you said you'd tried it and it wasnt too great but try combining it with a gel?

Ive tried that, didnt work for me either! maybe im doing it wrong....hmmmm. ill have another go!

I took a trip down to sallys today, to convince them not to take away my beloved hairpothics! it didnt work.

So, ive picked up another one. Loreal back to basics green tea gel. anyone tried this? It was on offer (£1.97!) so i thought id have a go.

Its such a shame that biosilk rock hard gelee is so expensive! I really wanna try that, but such a small bottle for a big price tag :(

On a completely different note....Im having a FAB hair day today! while i was plopping, i blasted my hair (with towell on..im not crazy!) with a really hot hairdryer. Could be the reason i s'pose.

Why am i rambling on? ill stop now! xoxo
    great to hear you had a good hair day :D i love it when they happen miraculously, altho its frustrating when you don't know how you did it so you can do it again :?

as for boots curl creme, when i first used it the next day i had really heavy hair and it felt kinda icky (not greasy or producty but not nice) so i basically cut the amount i used in half. i was using literally a fingertips worth per say 1/5 of my head, mixed with gel. only a teeny teeny amount to keep away the frizz, and use the gel for the main hold and styling.

let me know how the l'oreal goes, as it sounds quite nice (i'm a fan of all things natural) - is it CG friendly?

I just noticed its wella, not loreal, sorry!

I have used it today, but as im writing my hair is still wet, so ill have to wait and see how that turns out!

Yeah, i think its CG friendly. It does have a cone in it, but its a water soluble one i think (demithicone copolyl or something like that!)
  • littlemisscurlylittlemisscurly Registered Users Posts: 161
    hope the Gel hunt is going well.

I've also had good luck with Andrew Collinge gel (and you can get 10% off at superdrug all Summer if you print off a voucher from their website).

I might have read this wrong, but on your really good hair day did you blowdry with the towel ON?
    3A hair, very boring brown colour, just over shoulders (aiming for BSL)
    Photo Password: password
    Andrew Collinge gel - will have to look out for that one. I bought Alberto Balsam the other day, and it hasn't done much good. I've been using the same amount as I did with my old get (Umberto Gianini curl friends) so maybe I just need to use more? I mainly use gel so my curls stick around for second day hair - and the Alberto balsalm hasnt done that at all (it was the clear hold gel - not coloured.)

Was the Andrew Collinge expensive? (student budget :oops: ) and did you mix it with a cream or just use it by itself?

i just looked at the website -

do you mean the andrew colligne curl scrunching gel? or a different range? would you mind posting ingredients so I can see whether I could try it...? i've stood in superdrug so many times reading ingredients on bottle after bottle i'm pretty sure they'll kick me out if i keep doing it :roll:

(i dont like alcohol denat. as it dries my hair. it was the only ingredient in umberto gianini that was bad for me - if all else fails i might return to the umberto again)

The Andrew Collinge is quite cheap, and was on a buy one get one free last time I went in and if you go to http://www.superdrug.com/ and sign up for their e-mail they'll e-mail you a voucher that you can use as many times as you like over the summer for 10% off (even on products with other offers on them) I'm at work (naughty I know) but I'll have a look at the ingredients and PM them over to you later on today if that's ok.

I use it over the top of a little boots pink.

Did you find the Umberto Giannini (I think that's right) stopped working after a while, I've been using it for quite a while to finish off the tube, but it doesn't seem to have much hold anymore.

I'm about to start trying that Inecto Conditioner from your UK list as well (that has been super useful by the way - thank you)
    Hehe we both posted at the same time, so sorry if I repeated something you'd already said/asked
    Thanks so much for getting the ingredients for me :) I have been using a little bit of my boots pink alongside gel too and it works great. but if you find boots can get too heavy (i often do) try trevor sorbie curl cream. its CG friendly and does give a nice light hold rather than a heavy chunky hold (like the boots.)

as for umberto, i have been using it since i was 15 (now almost 21) and before I found CG. i always used it alone up until about two weeks ago and have been impressed with it the whole time. i'm not sure why it would suddenly stop having an effect on your hair - perhaps a difference in your conditoners? or the boots underneath is causing it not to hold the hair as good as it used to?

ive got abottle of unopened umberto gel that i'm keeping as it is my 'old faithful'. it can be sticky, and crunchy, and i find it takes my hair twice as long to dry when its on - but it does give good hold, and good second day hair.

would you say the andrew colligne had as good a hold as umberto? better in general, or not so good, or about the same? it is my mission to find a good gel in the UK that is CG friendly and gives good hold alongside cream!

and i need to update that UK list - have found more products since. if you ever think of any just PM me and i'll add them to it too, then post it again when its pretty well updated :) the andrew colligne will have to go on it now :wink:

oh and the Inecto Conditioner - its not one I've tried, someone else must have recommended it and I added it. I dont even remember it at all :roll: Let me know how it goes! :)

hope the Gel hunt is going well.

I've also had good luck with Andrew Collinge gel (and you can get 10% off at superdrug all Summer if you print off a voucher from their website).

I might have read this wrong, but on your really good hair day did you blowdry with the towel ON?

I kinda gave up on the gel hunt!! Im using john frieda frizz ease hair gel at the moment, its very thick but its working quite well so far...but will have to try that andrew collinge gel. thanks for the recommendation!

And yeah, i blowdryed for a few minutes on hot fast heat with the towel on. Im not sure if that was what gave me good hair though. but it did help the curls set quicker.

Ive also tried umberto gianni curl friends Scrunching gel and I found it stopped working as well after a while. and it smells really alcohol-ish which puts me off a bit!
    Hmm littlemisscurly complaind about the same thing with UG gel - it stopped working after a while. I've been using it for about 4 years now (for a while i used the trevor sorbie cream instead but it didnt give as much hold) so now i'm trying to combine them. it does smell quite alcohol-y and i dont like how it takes so long to dry, or how its sticky! but it is the best gel i've found for hold... maybe the AC one will be better? and is the frizz ease one CG friendly? i think i've tried one of their products (way before CG) and thought it was AWFUl which put me off the rest. but i'm open to suggestions if you recommend them :) the alberto balsam gel i tried was pretty pants - it didnt do anything really. i used as much as i normally use of UG so maybe i just needed more but it did nothing for my curls. so i would say dont bother with that one!

Yeah, I also tried the Alberto Balsam once a few years ago and it was just a lazy gel!! didnt even try to hold my hair!

I think that the John frieda one is CG friendly, although it does have a cone in it, but I think its water soluble (Id check though, as im not that hreat with imgredients unless they end in cone!!)

But I get quite alot of buildup from it..I dont know weather thats becuase i use too much or not, but I might have a look out for something else. Its a shame becuase the hold is great!
  • curly52curly52 Registered Users Posts: 351 Curl Connoisseur
    hii
    i was just wondering if the water soluble cone in andrew collinge can be removed just by using Garnier fructis sleek and shine rinse out?? and what is the full name of the andrew collinge gel?
    thanks!
    uk curly - 3a :toothy7:
    It's called Andrew Collinge No Frizz Scrunching Gelle. There's a pic and all the ingredients on this site:

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getProductDetails.do?sku=28719011&parentContainer=OFFER9849

HTH

I'm rubbish with the more scientific stuff so I can't help you with that I'm afraid. Sorry
    thankyou so much!
    i'm rubbish too :lol: just starting out on CG so i will see what happens!
    oooh good luck. I've just started the CG routine too, but had to use a whole load of un-CG friendly products first.
    that is exctly what happened to me...i have been using the garnier fructis SS rinse out
    At first my hair was really silky now its gone coarse..i think it might be the cone in the condish but aparently it is water soluble? i don't know if that means it will just rinse out in water?? very confused :? lol!
    thinkin of shampooing and startin again and trying original source condish from superdrugs
    can i ask what you are using?
    condish and styling products?
    Yeah, water soluble means that water will shift it (ie you don't need the sulphates from shampoo). (I think I'm right in saying that).

Well I'm on my first week of CG, and I'm just coming to the end of a bottle of Original Source Almond and Coconut conditioner (love the smell) and I'm about to start a bottle of the Inecto Coconut Milk Conditioner (I have a slight coconut addiction) which is really cheap in savers, and has got some good reviews on here. Then I use either pink boots curl creme (v cheap, but you only need to use a little else it weighs your hair down) or Trevor Sorbie Curl creme (which is my prefered) followed by the Andrew Collinge scrunching gelle.

About once a week I use GUM detox shampoo if my hair feels a bit producty, I don't think it's CG friendly but sometimes my hair just needs it.

I keep meaning to take pictures of my hair now I've stopped using the Body Shop creme as it looks much better now I think...I'll get round to it eventually.

What type hair do you have?
    wow! you seem sorted lol
    so would you recommend the orginal source? or should i try the inecto?
    i have just bought 3 bottlez of garnier fructis :( do you think it could be this that is drying out my hair? or do you think i need to shampoo?
    i have 3A hair with product just below my shoulders, it does not curl from the root though
    sorry for all the questions!!
    No problem at all, you're saving my from getting on with some very dull work. (my office has no windows so I'm sulking that I can't see the sunny weather so not doing any work anyway, so this is a nice distraction).

Wish i was totally sorted on it, a lot of it's just trial and error, and I prefer to wash at night, so suffering from a lack of volume at the moment, but the clumping and condition has got so much better.

Yeah, I really liked the OS stuff, just thought I'd try the Inecto because it's cheaper (I'll let you know how it goes) so I would recommend it. A little bit goes quite a long way as well.

I'm 3a too, but just above my shoulders (when it's curly) apart from at the back where it's longer because of my layers. Mine doesn't tend to curl from the root either, but does a bit more when I use the 'plopping' technique.

I've not tried the Garnier Fruits stuff, do you know what the ingredients are? A lot of stuff that says it'll help make your hair shiny has cones in it, which kind of just coat the hair, if it does, then you will need a shampoo to get rid of it. Have you tried a deep treatment? perhaps it just needs a bit of a boost?

What's your current routine? I have to wet mine in the shower everyday as I can't get second day hair, but with just conditioner everyday I think it was getting over conditioned, so I've reduced the amount I use and that seems to work, maybe that's it?

Blimey, that was a long post, sorry. :)
    No problem at all, you're saving my from getting on with some very dull work. (my office has no windows so I'm sulking that I can't see the sunny weather so not doing any work anyway, so this is a nice distraction).

Wish i was totally sorted on it, a lot of it's just trial and error, and I prefer to wash at night, so suffering from a lack of volume at the moment, but the clumping and condition has got so much better.

Yeah, I really liked the OS stuff, just thought I'd try the Inecto because it's cheaper (I'll let you know how it goes) so I would recommend it. A little bit goes quite a long way as well.

I'm 3a too, but just above my shoulders (when it's curly) apart from at the back where it's longer because of my layers. Mine doesn't tend to curl from the root either, but does a bit more when I use the 'plopping' technique.

I've not tried the Garnier Fruits stuff, do you know what the ingredients are? A lot of stuff that says it'll help make your hair shiny has cones in it, which kind of just coat the hair, if it does, then you will need a shampoo to get rid of it. Have you tried a deep treatment? perhaps it just needs a bit of a boost?

What's your current routine? I have to wet mine in the shower everyday as I can't get second day hair, but with just conditioner everyday I think it was getting over conditioned, so I've reduced the amount I use and that seems to work, maybe that's it?

Blimey, that was a long post, sorry. :)
    Oops double post, sorry.
    lol itz ok!!!
    i want all the help i can get
    wat DT do u use??
    i wash my hair, apply boots curl cream and gel
    then plop for 20min and air dry
    for second day hair i apply bootz curl cream mixed with water in my hand and mayb a bit ov gel. it can look prducty but i don't really mind
    I think i will shampoo and start again!
    the wonders of CG...
    I use the 'Lush' Strokes Deep Treatment which isn't strictly CG, but it was £6 and I don't want to waste it and it seems to work, and I think all of this is just about finding what works for you.

I've very jealous of your 2nd day hair!
    LOL sometimes my first hair day is really bad
    but it is curlier on the second day..not sure why..but it is also a lot frizzier and can lose volume
    just wonderin if you know any gd curly salons in the london area..i hav neva has a curly cut!
    Hehe well maybe the CG method will help that.

Bizarrely my second day hair is much less curly (and that starts at the end of 1st day hair, i think I fiddle with it too much).

Fraid I can't help you with the curly Hairstylists in London, I only lived there for about 6 months and I was growing my hair at that point. perhaps try posting in the Eurocurlies section in case there's any other londoners? I'm actually down in London this weekend, but all of my friends are straighties. You could always try calling a few of the bigger ones and asking?
    i went into boots today and saw the original source..the mint one smells really strong!!!! maybe i'll get the coconut one
    Thinking of shampooin today..abit scared lol!
    oh yeah and is the GUM detox shampoo sulfate free? n where do you buy it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file