springier curls when hair is wet

Most people seem to get more shrinkage as their hair dries, but that is not the case for my hair. Does this mean anything (lack of / too much moisture / protein, etc) ? I would prefer tighter, springier curls when my hair is dry.
mostly 3a. a little 2c and 3b.
fine/thin, but lots of it.

Comments

• goldilocks036goldilocks036 Posts: 52Registered Users
    bump
  • masa_innmasa_inn Posts: 306Registered Users
    Do you diffuse? The problem might be that the water weight pulls out your curls.
    Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
    CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair only shrinks with certain products. Most of the time, it dries like it is after I've applied products and scrunched with curl towel.

If your hair elongates, as it dries, masa_inn's hypothesis is the one I would suggest, too.

ETA: Just noticed that your hair is permed??? Not sure chemically treated hair would act the same. But the weight could be pulling out the curl.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goldilocks036goldilocks036 Posts: 52Registered Users
    I just bought a diffuser the other day actually. I've been really stubborn about that because I like to be able to just put some product in and then let it dry on its own, but it turns out it doesn't take as long as I thought it would. It does make quite a difference :)

I understand that the weight of the water was probably pulling out the curl, but I was confused as to why they spring up more easily *with* the weight of the water... You'd think it'd be the other way around.

And yes, I do have permed hair. One difference I've noticed is that sometimes my hair has looser curls towards the ends, as opposed to my previous unpermed hair that curled more at the ends. I assume it's because the waving solution reaches the outermost hair on the rod first, leaving the roots more time to soak in the solution than the ends.
    I'm thinking of asking them to leave it on a bit longer next time... Do you think that would make a difference in the overall tightness of the curls?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file