CurlTalk

the science of clumping?

hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
Is there any scientific approach to clumping?
Has anyone figured out what things affect clumping?
Things like:
Texture, haircuts, oils, dewpoints, products, hair too dry vs overmoisturized?
Or is it just how our hair is naturally?
I know that some folks get great clumps with one product while for others the same product will cause stringyness, but does anyone know why!?!?!?

I am really stumped on the clumps!!!

I am looking for soft, fluffy (not frizzy) clumps (think of msgiblet) rather than “wet” looking ones but all I seem to get are stringlets or, on really awful days, wormy ramen noodles, YUCK!!

I have been trying to diagnose this problem based on products but can’t find a pattern.

These things give me stringlets:
Vo5 Tea Tree Chamomile condish
JCWDT
DM Leave-in
Elucense condish
Suave coconut
Boilage condish balm
AOHSR
KBB butter
[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]
Quehmet balm
FOTE
BB flax gelee and brulee
Moisture maniac
[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Whipped-Cream-p-883.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Whipped-Cream]Curls whipped cream[/buylink]
KBB milk
Deva one-c
BRHG
Tweek
HHSMU
HETTG
Joiwhip
Lustrasilk
JC Twist & lock
QMAOB
MPO-C curl cream
L'Oreal ProVive

These things give me instant ramen noodles:
Mag sulfate in low dewpoints
Honey in low dewpoints

I’ve went protein free for 6 weeks and that made no difference on clumping (but it helped with the straw dry problem).
I’ve tried every method I can find on these boards - icequeens, scrunch and pump, plopping, raking, twisting and pinning, not ringing at all, combing, denman, putting in product wet and putting in product damp….. but it get stringy. Scrunching makes it worse.

I have gotten good soft thick clumps exactly 2 times in 3 months—once when I used DMHJ (never repeated) and just yesterday when I doused my hair with fresh sea water. (I got it on a trip to the ocean—but that isn’t a practical everyday thing since I live 5 hours from the ocean- no to mention how drying it would be)

ARGH! Any input on how to diagnose this issue- trial and error is getting me nowhere except into PJville!
med/coarse; porous; 2c & 3c
protein sensitive
too much glycerin and some oils give me stringlets

!!! LOVE SPRITZ AND CONDISH !!!!

co-wash: Fructis Body Boost condish
low-poo: miss my LLL Green Tea, CJDF
condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH
style: faves: KCCC, DMCG, AOMMJ, CGG, Elucence Foam, FSG
DT: JCWDT, CJCR, SS Deep Condish

My CG Journey: :confused: :banghead:
:read2: :love1:

Comments

• masa_innmasa_inn Posts: 306Registered Users
    I'm obsessed with clumping (I dream of my hair clumping into 3-4 huge curls), so I will be watching this thread carefully.

So far, I know that clumping is definitely encouraged by moisture.
    Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
    CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ
  • xxmisschrisxxxxmisschrisxx Posts: 223Registered Users
    im interested as well!!!
    --xxmisschrisxx
    3a since going CG!
    CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
    using:
    shampoo bars (wind blossom)
    condish - burts bees super shiny
    styling - confused and running out of products. TRYING LOOB!
    trying: tweek...barely.
    WAITING to try: Melting Gel...resisting the urge to become a PJ...kind of...
    Dislikes: molasses and CK :( so unfortunately...
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    hmixon wrote: »
    Is there any scientific approach to clumping?
    I am looking for soft, fluffy (not frizzy) clumps (think of msgiblet) rather than “wet” looking ones but all I seem to get are stringlets or, on really awful days, wormy ramen noodles, YUCK!!

Hahaha, Ramen Noodles! That;s a pretty good way to describe my hair as well! Well, actually, my hair at the roots looked like a block of uncooked ramen noodles. curls all tight and hard like that. then at the ends, it looks like a whole buncha cooked ramen. I'm waiting for my hair to get a tad longer so i can chop it all off!

BUMP!!!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    My technique isn't foolproof, but works pretty well most of the time (when it doesn't work, I have no idea why):

After my shower routine, I smooth in some leave in and finger comb through, then I flip my head over and finger comb upside down until all is smooth. Then I take curl creme and finger comb through my upside down hair. Finally, I twist my hair, which at this point is in about 20 small clumps, into about 8 larger clumps be combining curls that are next to each other and curling the same way (sort of like the skip curl method, but much simpler). I just run my finger down the curls smoothing them together. Then, I take my hair towel, and scrunch my hair up as if I were about to plop, hold it for about 10 seconds, release, and repeat the towel scrunch once on each side (3 scrunches total, that is it, any more and my clumps fall apart). Then I slowly stand up, trying not to disturb the curls, arrange my hair like I want it, clip the front, and air dry.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Applying product to very wet hair, starting with a generous amount of AVG, and then, for me, combing it thru helps with clumping as much as anything. Once it's well distributed, I scrunch upside down first with hands only to get the curls going then with a Curlease towel or t-shirt. Diffuse upside down for a couple of minutes, flip over, clip the top, pixie diffuse a little more then allow to totally air dry, keeping my hands out of it until ready to SOTC. Plopping for 10-15 minutes in between scrunching and diffusing helps clumping when my hair's long enough. I like double plopping as MsGiblet describes.

I think it's finding a technique that works for you that helps with clumping more than the particular product(s), although I personally like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and Boot's pink.

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets[/buylink] and Confident Curls Curling Solution give me excellent clumping when applied to very wet hair in the manner their instructions describe. I just can't use it often because of some ingredient that disagrees with my skin. But when I need to be assured of a good hair day, it's often my go-to regime.

The Ice Queen method is the latest 'hot' clumping method, though my hair's too short right now for it to do much for me.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with a lot of what's been said... but above and beyond that, I think a LOT of it has to do with your hair's natural curl pattern.

My curls are big and loopy, and I have a LOT of strands that follow the same pattern as the strands around them, which results in massive clumps. I can't get small clumps if I try (and it's only stringy when the product is utterly wrong, and it completely takes the curl out as well). There are things i can do to break up the clumps some, but as a rule, they're always there.

Burgundy Locks, for example... I think your hair might clump more with some added moisture (just judging from your pics in your fotki) but your curl pattern is a LOT smaller than mine and your strands seem to section off in smaller groups, so I don't think you'll ever have HUGE clumps. :( Unfortunately, it's all part of embracing your natural hair pattern. I'll never have lovely frizz free waves, or nice, small ringlets. Much as I try to get both :P
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I agree with Mims. My hair is thick and has a very loose curl pattern, so I tend to end up with large clumps and big curls. Other than that, I don't think I really do anything differently than most here. I put product in soaking wet hair and I do most of my styling upside down along with a lot of scrunching. I can end up with stringy curls if I overdo the combing or use too much product or one that's way too heavy.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    hmixon, I love this question because I think we've all had it at one time or another. After months of trying to get my hair to do things that it clearly had no mind to do, I finally came to the conclusion that MimsTX and msgiblet did -- by and large, curl pattern determines clumpage.

This is not to say that a good hair cut, the right products, and proper moisture don't play a role, as well. (Most of us learn fairly early which products will give us stringlets -- it varies for everybody.) But mostly, it's just what you're born with, I think.

My hair never clumped before going CG, but now that it does, I understand how it will clump (size, staying power, frizz level), and that's the thing that is individual to every head.

I still want msgiblet's hair, though.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    lol, EVERYONE wants MsG's hair...
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    MimsTX wrote: »
    lol, EVERYONE wants MsG's hair...

Amen!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Aw thanks, guys! :love7: Wonderful compliments considering the beautiful heads of hair they're coming from!!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    ITA with everyone who loves Ms. G's curls.

For me, honey mixed with water, added to my conditioner, made the difference. So, it was very diluted. I know you've had poor luck with it in low dew points, but perhaps try again in a lower dosage?

HTH
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Try agave nectar instead of honey. Seems like you can use it in lower dew points. I have been doing an agave rinse that's really helping with my clumps.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• hollylalahollylala Posts: 23Registered Users
    I have to be really careful with my curls if I want them to clump. This means absolutely no brushing or combing my wet hair. If I have snarls, I brush before my shower. I can't even rake my products through or my touchy curls will stretch out, and I'll have major stringies.

I have tried MANY products, but it seems that if I don't use LOOB, (L'oreal "Out of Bed") I don't get the clumps I long for.

On sopping wet hair (mine's shoulder length) I smooth about 1 Tbs of LOOB on the underside, then flip my head upright and smooth the same amount on top. Then I scrunch it all over to distribute it throughout. Then I add my gel or mousse and scrunch with an old t-shirt.

I'm still looking for the best gel or mousse, but I believe I will never be without LOOB.

CG since March '08
    2b
    Currently Using:
    Wash: ACV rinses, Suave Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Tigi MM, Suave Coconut with honey
    Style: (Not all together, but this is what I'm rotating through right now) Glycerine/water spray, Re:coil, LOOB, Joiwhip, Garnier spray gel, BRHG.
    To SOTC: Deva Set it Free, and/or Garnier water based wax

• wonkagurlwonkagurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    Thanks for reading my post. I hope you can help. I'm new to this site, as in I've been a member for about 30 minutes and I'm loving it so far. But what are all these methods about "ice queen," "deva," "no-poo," and how do I find which one is right for me.

I've been reading post after post and I figured out my hair type. I'm a 2b I think. My hair gets kind of oily if I don't wash it everyday. I live in CO and I'm very outdoorsy and by some miracle when I get out of the reservoir or the river and I let my hair air dry with not a comb run through it or a product touching it I let it airdry in the sun and it dries in wonderful medium sized chunky defined curls and I would love to figure out how to get that at home.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who has been posting on this thread. I have tons of new ideas for styling and product.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I get bigger clumps when I don't touch my hair after initially scrunching the crunch. The less touching the better.

I've also found that diffusing upside down may help with volume, but it breaks up my curls (less clumping). So, it's a toss up: less volume = better curls and more clumps or more volume = waves and less clumps.

I get bigger clumps after a DT or a more moisturizing conditioner. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl's WDT[/buylink] which is on your failure list. I had clumpy hair today after using AOHR.

BTW, I cringed when I saw your list of product failures. That must be very frustrating! I noticed one glaring omission though: Kinky-Curly! Have you tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and/or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]? Given how much you've bought, you might want to check the swap board for samples.

Good luck!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Lolo, I think [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is actually on her fail list, but I don't think I saw [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink].

I am absolutely obsessed with clumping. That is almost my only hair goal. For me, moisture is pretty much it. I need to be in great condition moisture-wise, otherwise it's ramen noodle city.

I can't rake, either, but here's what I've been doing that gave me on gorgeous day of clumps and other days of certain promise:

I brush my hair with a real brush when it's saturated in a heavy rinse-out (I used a Biolage knock-off with success, but anything heavy will probably work), with my head upside down. So I brush starting at my nape and brush down to the tips, and I make sure to run the brush from my hairline at my forehead to my tips, too.

I let it sit (upright) as I finish my shower, then I brush it one more time, and rinse upside down.

Before I do anything else, I smooth in my leave-in, lately it's been Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol (Sally's), without distrubing the shape it's taken after rinsing. I carefully stand up, and smooth more in on the crown area, and lean side to side to scrunch in hard to get-to areas.

Get dressed, plop for 5 or 10, unplop, airdry, diffuse (if I must) only when it's developed adequate crunch or stiffness (prevents frizz).
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    wonkagurl wrote: »
    Thanks for reading my post. I hope you can help. I'm new to this site, as in I've been a member for about 30 minutes and I'm loving it so far. But what are all these methods about "ice queen," "deva," "no-poo," and how do I find which one is right for me.

I've been reading post after post and I figured out my hair type. I'm a 2b I think. My hair gets kind of oily if I don't wash it everyday. I live in CO and I'm very outdoorsy and by some miracle when I get out of the reservoir or the river and I let my hair air dry with not a comb run through it or a product touching it I let it airdry in the sun and it dries in wonderful medium sized chunky defined curls and I would love to figure out how to get that at home.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who has been posting on this thread. I have tons of new ideas for styling and product.
    Most of us here follow the curly girl method. Go read this blog entry by Laura Lee on how to go CG, and read Struttswife's site. These could give you a better idea of what everyone is talking about and how curls need special care. Also at the top of the page there is a google custom search bar that you can use to find things like the icequeen method and deva. After you've read a little bit come back and post any questions you might have in your own thread and we will be happy to try and help you any way we can :happy7:
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
    Has anyone figured out how to make the weather CONSISTENT??? Here is GA right now I can wake up to a 10 dewpoint (yes, I check it every morning before showering......) and an hour later, after I've done all my hair stuff the dewpoint is at 56!!!! YIKES!! And it can go the other way too!

Anyway, this natural curl pattern idea is a real eye-opener for me. How did I miss that? I am going to think this thing through with my mirror and really try to understand my hair as it is rather than how I imagine it to be!

Today I did the sea water again and I've got clumps except in the back where I have tighter curls rather than looser waves-- so that's the CURL PATTERN!!! I think I get it now!

So my goal is to get the clumps in the areas that have the right curl pattern for it.

I know my list looks long but I did get most of those as samples so I don't feel too bad about it--very thankful for kathymack and empressri

I have tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] but forgot it on the list.

I've tried Agave Nectar (just a few drops) and would love to know a good recipe for a rinse-- so you rinse just before leave -in? I've overused honey and what a crunchy sticky mess that was!!

I think I also need to be more vigilant about touching my hair- and I was wondering if all the upside down stuff was breaking up any potential clumpage.

Oh the choices we have to make--volume or clumps.....clumps or volume………???

Maybe one day I’ll just choose products based on their smell and not worry about how I look!!!

Thanks for all your replies.
    protein sensitive

condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH

Lol, honestly... I don't pay a bit of mind to the dewpoint. ONLY because I live in North Texas, where the weather likes to go from 80 degrees to 30 within 24 hours in the fall, winter and spring. Summer's really the only dependable season (dependably hot and humid) so it's just not worth my frustration lol

Georgia's not much different, I know. South Carolina wasn't either when I lived there :P
    I know what you mean! Here in VA we can have a dewpoint in the 30's one day and then it'll be 7 the next. But this is why I check it every day so I'll know which products to use. It's like being in a different climate on a daily basis - craziness!

hmixon, I don't know if you use www.wunderground.com or not, but it breaks down the dewpoint for different hours of the day which helps a lot since the dewpoint sometimes changes so drastically from early morning to later on.

Also, I do my rinsing and all of my product application upside down, but I have found lately if I clip and air dry for awhile first, diffuse upright and then diffuse upside down last, it seems to keep the clumps together better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    For the person that they said they wanted 3 or 4 big clumps, be careful what you wish for. The back of my hair looks truly odd when it gets swallowed into 2 or 3 clumps. The rest looks bare. I think clumping looks the best on those with thick hair like mims and msg (mine is only medium). I usually end up looking like Shirley Temple with these big 'ol banana curls. :lol:

Pineappling is a double edge sword for me. While I adore it for multi-day hair. It's like a family reunion for my hair. The more days I go the bigger the clumps get.

Scrunching my hair with a t-shirt, flour sack or paper towel really encourages my clumps to NOT form as much. So if you stay away from that method clumps might be stronger.

Since my hair is my longer, I clump more . When the hair hits my shoulders it all goes together - if that makes sense. They are also more prolific when it's really humid. But I stopped paying attention to dewpoints and what-not because my hair doesn't seem to care about that at all.

At the end of the day, as already mentioned, I think a lot of it has to do with your curl pattern and the way your hair falls.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • curlyandproud124112curlyandproud124112 Posts: 49Registered Users
    I'm extremely sorry about this. Very off topic! But how did all of you get your hair pictures next to your comments? I'd love to do that but I don't know how! Thanks in advance!
    Hair Type: 2c/3a/3b
    Products: Redken ringlet 07, It works perfectly! a match made in heaven

I LOVE being curly!
    I'm extremely sorry about this. Very off topic! But how did all of you get your hair pictures next to your comments? I'd love to do that but I don't know how! Thanks in advance!
    Go to user CP (look up at the top) and edit avatar. That's also where you go to edit your signature. HTH

Thank You Sooooo Much!!!!!!!

I LOVE being curly!
    whatsercurl-- it's when my hair hits my shoulder that it UNclumps- so my top layer (just above shoulder) is a bit more clumpy than my bottom.

I tried mousse yesterday to see if it would be better than oil/butter based products and it is a bit better. And it did well (more clumps than before) with DMAJ so I'll play around with that. And I did a AN rinse under the mousse.

Does anyone know how mousse does in high dews?

I've studied my curl pattern and I see curls that SHOULD go together- they have the same pattern and there they are right next to each other!!! They'd make the sweetest clumps. Now I just need to convince them of that!!!

msgiblet-- I have used wunderground since I read about it on the dews thread - thanks for the info though.
    protein sensitive

What a surprise- I have perfect clumps! After 4 months of trying!

After studying my curl pattern I saw that I really should get great clumps, so I decided to start from scratch, go slow and observe my hair.

I used a low-poo (Giovanni 50-50) and Suave coconut. I had stopped Suave and never tried 50-50 because of being off protein for the last 2 months, but have added a little in for a week or two and seem to be okay. As I did the icequeen method I noticed that I got great clumps UNTIL I turned my head right side up.

So next time I pooed with 50-50, rinsed with 2 C water with 2 tsp AN, squeezed in lots of Suave coconut right side up. Good clumps- so I decided to stop there and DO NOTHING.

No products!

I did carefully clip. I really have a flat canopy (curl pattern starts 2 inches from roots) and so I usually am trying for root volume but have learned that my enthusiastic clipping was disturbing my hair.

I worked SLOWLY and carefully.

AND I CLUMPED! I am astounded. And my hair doesn’t have that wet look that I dislike- I have soft and fluffy clumps!

But I have no hold and have major frizz potential.
    So I need to find a light product that will give me a wee bit of definition and some hold and frizz protection. I'm thinking DMHJ.

My PJ is disappointed that all those products were making things worse not better.

I KNEW my hair could clump. Somehow, talking it through on this board really helped—It reduced my frustration and I started being able to chill out and think this through. And I prayed.

Many thanks!
    protein sensitive

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    That's awesome!

Hope you can figure the gel out too. :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • DominoDomino Posts: 287Registered Users
    Wow...I HAVE to try this tomorrow :)
    :king: Priestess Brigit of the Moonlight Oracle in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :king:

Type: Mix of 1c/2c/3a , fine-ish medium, ii/iii, normal porosity
    Lenght: U-Shaped BSL
    Goal: Wavy and clumpy waist length hair
    For me, the best way to get clumps is with soaking wet hair, some leave in condish, and ringlet 07 redken cream/gel, no other way to describe it. Then I twist and plop (sounds like a bad 50s dance move!) When I tried twisting and plopping with damp hair, all I got was frizz. So moisture definitely has something to do with it.

I LOVE being curly!